Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vet ended up giving us Trifexis. Heartworm and fleas in one. Im guessing part of the reason is it costs more than others.

I can't seem to find how the product works at killing these things - is it poisoning your dog? It's so new that I'm worried about a recall/side effect notice.

Is flea control and heartworm recommended year round?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Trifexis costs more than a heartworm "pill" or a topical flea med individually, but it doesn't cost more than the combination. I am using it on my own dogs and am very happy.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
Trifexis came highly recommended by Hank's vet. He starts on it next month. Right now we're using separate preventative meds. I don't usually do flea preventative Nov. - April so I'll probably go back to the heartworm only in the fall.

·
Registered
479 Posts
My vet recommends that for my dog. He's doing good on trifexis. I may consider stopping the flea control once winter comes and switch to a heartworm preventative only.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,894 Posts
My vet recommends that for my dog. He's doing good on trifexis. I may consider stopping the flea control once winter comes and switch to a heartworm preventative only.
I'm going to try it, I've got a couple of HW tabs to use up before I can do it.

I live on the Southeast Coast, treat for fleas year round, maybe go off in Jan. if it gets cold enough here.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
oh and this is why i'm afraid to give comfortiS

Comfortis Reviews - Viewpoints[]=28+4294331966
You can find "reviews" like that for every product out there. If water came with a warning label, it would include death as a possible side effect. You have to take these things with a grain of salt and decide which product you feel comfortable using. For me, I'm totally comfortable using the Trifexis on my own dogs and recommending it to clients.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts