Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lasted about half an hour and then we put him back in the kennel. He just wouldn't relax... I don't know WHAT I was thinking. There's absolutely nothing in there that he can get or get into, but he was wandering around (we have wood floors so the clicking of his nails not only meant we need to trim them but also drove me NUTS after a while) and he would jump on the bed, wrestle around under the covers... then jump off, dig under the bed for a missing toy... start licking the floor... jump back on the bed... off the bed... on the bed... off the bed... on the bed... think that there's a toy hidden under my covers... start DIGGING ON MY BLADDER... jump around on the bed... then off again... start digging on the floor.

I couldn't take it.

He's going to be 8 months old tomorrow.

Is he just still too young? He's always slept in the kennel... how can we go about doing this? I REALLY want him in our room.

We ended up having Lexie, who is like 5 months old, sleep in there with us. She was perfect. She sleeps with her owner all the time though... BUT she's a generally calmer dog altogether than the goldens.

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Well, this is what I did. I started Scout when she was around 6 months. The crate was next to my bed so if she was a nut (jumping on and off or pacing) I would stick her back in the crate for that night. So this was an off and on thing. Some nights she was good and would settle and slept outside of the crate all night, and others she was restless. Currently, at 7.5 months I have her go to her crate at first and after a few minutes of settling down in the crate (and when I am ready to turn the light off, sometimes I am reading in bed) I open the door and let her come out. She sleeps on my bed now and I have no problems.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Too funny!!!
THAT is why I haven't attempted to have Timber in our room.
I think we would have a repeat of your night :)

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Just keep trying. If he can't settle, just do what you did and put him back in the kennel. Once the novelty and "what the heck is going on, why aren't I in my kennel right now?" wears off he will be able to calm himself and settle down to sleep.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
Molson has been sleeping on the floor of our room since he was 5 months old. The plastic travel crate we originally had for our room got too hot for him and he would stay/keep us awake all night panting (not barking).

Sometimes now at night if he has a ton of energy, it takes him about 20-30 minutes to settle down after the lights have gone off. Most of the time I crash before he does.

I like GoldenSail's technique. I would try that with Mojo and see how it works out. Good luck! :)

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. :)

We tried Maxie last night and it actually worked pretty well. Gary slept in the guest room because he HAD to have the buffalo wings for dinner. (He always gasses me out of the room when he has them, so before he had them this time he made a deal to sleep in the other room. LOL)

Maxie chewed on her Kong bone for a little bit and then settled down next to me.

HOWEVER. I just woke up to her making a lot of mouth-licking sounds... and then the gagging started. Oh boy. She threw up all over the side of the bed and floor. (Not my side... LOL) It was clearish-foamish. :( She's acting normal except for that. Should I be worried?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I wouldn't be worried after one vomit, see how the rest of the day goes. I just started letting our younger pup, Lucy sleep in our room. SHe has always been good about sleeping in her crate, but in all honesty, it was just to prevent night time accidents, and for when we are not home to supervise play with her much bigger step brother. She did really well, no accidents, and slept quietly at the side of my bed, however, I did give her some sunggle/playtime ON the bed for about 30 minutes before she opted to get down. I think she was tired. I think maybe it was just novelty with Maxie and next time will get even better. (hopefully no morning mess to clean up! LOL)

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I started letting Flora sleep in my room when she was around 3 months. We never used the crate b/c she went batshit in it during the night. Anyhow, I remember it took a while (probably a month) before she really settled down and learned that going up to my room at night meant it was sleepy time. She used to burrow underneath my bed (I keep odds and ends underneath it) and cram herself into the tiniest space possible, and it worried the hell out of me.

Eventually, once I let her have free roam of the upstairs, she took to sleeping in the bathroom and was as quiet as a mouse. I think Mojo will get it sooner or later, but it may mean a little less sleep for you for the time being.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
I would start with the crate in the room, and after about two weeks, leave the door open and try that. Go from there. Put a dog bed in the open crate. Then eventually ditch the crate and leave the dog bed.

Other option is run the holy hell out of him, and then just put up with a night of his pacing. I almost guarantee he'll just chill after a day or two. But both methods or a combo of both can work.

Mine sleep in my bed... never had a problem lol

But sometimes a new foster will pace. But they're in a whole knew environment- some have never been inside of a house until the day I get them.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
We never used the crate b/c she went batshit in it during the night.

Ha ha ... 'batshit' :p:

I thought I made up that word, its a fav'o'mine.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
I say "batshit crazy" all the time! ;)

Holiday vomited chew bone crumbs and foam ALL OVER MY BED yesterday morning. Lovely, eh?

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
:uhoh: OK, had to look up where the term 'batshit crazy' came from...
From Urban dictionary:
A person who is batshit crazy is certifiably nuts. The phrase has origins in the old fashioned term "bats in the belfry." Old churches had a structure at the top called a belfry, which housed the bells. Bats are extremely sensitive to sound and would never inhabit a belfry of an active church where the bell was rung frequently. Occasionally, when a church was abandoned and many years passed without the bell being rung, bats would eventually come and inhabit the belfry. So, when somebody said that an individual had "bats in the belfry" it meant that there was "nothing going on upstairs" (as in that person's brain). To be BATSHIT CRAZY is to take this even a step further. A person who is batshit crazy is so nuts that not only is their belfry full of bats, but so many bats have been there for so long that the belfry is coated in batshit. Hence, the craziest of crazy people are BATSHIT CRAZY.

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
A good intermediate step is to try a tether/leash and a nice kong toy.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
With Max it took time - For the first few tries I had to constantly redirect him to lay down. I did not get much sleep at all. However, on the bright side, he kept on getting marginally better and now he sleeps in my room with Willow and I no problem. The last thing that cinched it for us was this lovey he has - I give it to him in my room, he puts it in his mouth and falls asleep with it. Usually he is good all night but not 100%. Patience and time. :)

·
Hudson's girl
417 Posts
Hudson slept in his crate until he was about 11 months old. Then he started sleeping on the floor. It still takes him some time to calm down especially since the kids come in and out of our room and rile him up. Just recently he has migrated to the bed. He never did it before and now I wake up with his little face on my belly in the morning.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Trixie still sleeps most nights in her crate and loves it. We waited about 2 1/2 months after we got her to try her in the bedroom.

Because of my odd schedule, I often end up getting a couple hours of sleep at night, up early and off to the gym, then home for a nap before work.

So, I started about 6 weeks ago trying her out during my daytime naps. Sometimes she would be calm and cuddly, and sometimes, she would be the aforementioned batshit crazy. When she was restless, she went back into the crate, and didn't mind, even though Brillo got to stay. We've also been giving her the occasional night in the bed with both of us, and she is usually good, and sometimes must return to the crate.

·
Lost in Fur Land
168 Posts
I goto bed just a little early and Cooper gets some cuddles for 10-15 min before i try to goto sleep. He settles in and enjoys the cuddle time and by the time im ready to try to sleep, hes nice and relaxed and ready to sleep.

Now if i can teach him to not dive into bed and land on me :doh:

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just started letting Emma sleep on the bed a few weeks ago. Sometimes it takes her a few minutes to settle down and then she is good as gold. Other nights she will be restless and will jump down to the floor and sleep there. Of course, if hubby is home then we let her up for a little bit then on the floor she goes. There just isn't room for the three of us. Emma doesn't curl up to sleep she spreads out across the bed. LOL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts