Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i thought it would be nice for Ada to start sleeeping in our bedroom. We cant fit the crate in the room so she's been sleeping in the livingroom, but i trust her overnight outside of the crate if we can puppy proof a room.

Sadly, she wouldnt settle down at all, kept pacing and sniffing for 30 minutes. I brought her bed up but she wasnt having any if it so i opened the door and she went right downstairs into her crate by herself.

I'm kinda sad, but i guess its nice to know she likes to sleep in her crate =\. Has anyone else had this happen? Do you think she'll ever want to sleep in the room with us?

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Do you allow Ada in the bedroom at any other time? Has she been in the bedroom at all? If not then it is a strange place to her. Does she have a blanket in her kennel or a dogbed she uses during the day? If so, you could bring it to the bedroom at night, it might help her to settle down, as it is familiar to her in a 'strange' environment. It might take a few nights for her to get used to the new sleeping arrangement, but she should catch on quickly.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Finn(8 months) still likes his crate best. He will start to sleep with us and sometime during the night he gets off the bed and goes to his crate.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
How old is she?
There is a certain safety and comfort that a crate can offer.....
Assuming she is under 18 months or so...she may very well out grow it in time..

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
in a couple days i am getting new bed and furniture for my room and plan to have Yuki sleep with me. he is used to napping in my room sometimes and when he was small, 4-10 weeks old, we used to sleep together in my old bed.

Yuki has the habit of sleeping anywhere he pleases (-_-) he sleeps on the couch or in his bed which is inside the crate or just cools off lying on the floor. sometimes when i wake up at night i always have to tell him "go to bed" and he goes into his crate.

since we are on the topic of having our pups sleeping with us, i would like to ask how old should the pup be when i introduce him to sleeping in my room? is allowing 4 month old pup to sleep with me alright or should i wait some more?

oh Yuki also tries to chew my ear, nose or hair and wakes me when we take naps together. how do i get him to stop it?

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
My previous golden would sleep down stairs at my parents house and in my doorway at my house. He got very nervous upstairs at my parents house after a few minutes.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She's 5 months and it's true she isn't in the bedroom often (we usually gate the stairway so we can keep a better eye on her) so she probably didn't like being gated in a new room (i put a baby gate on the bedroom door). She was very sleepy before we went to bed so I was hoping she'd lay on her bed that I brought up and be happy that she could be near us, but oh well.

I'll have to let her in the bedroom more often and maybe she'll be comfortable eventually. Or maybe I'm humanizing a dog too much and if she's happy in her crate, even though I thought she would be happier sleeping near us in a nice open room I, should just let her be:).

·
AAARF!
2,216 Posts
I have an almost 5-month-old and Monday night was the first time Finn slept outside of his crate in the bedroom. He's normally crated in the bedroom so he is used to the room. He did really well Monday night so last night I left him out again, but he kept jumping on and off the bed and walking around the room so I ended up putting him in his crate (where he fell asleep immediately!). I think Ada will eventually sleep in your room outside of her crate. It may just take awhile like my little guy.

·
Registered
639 Posts
We have a crate in our bedroom and Ozzy often chooses to sleep there. Sometimes he sleeps with us, sometimes on a dog bed and sometimes in his crate.

·
We miss you Roo Roo!
158 Posts
I think dogs like routine. Try it on a weekend when your sleep is more flexible. I recently did this same change with my 4 month old. It took him two nights, and now he knows when he comes up to the bedroom, it's time to sleep. Take some treats and make it positive.:)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Harvey was the same, I tried to let him sleep in my bedroom one night when there were really bad storms because I thought he'd be scared. Nope, he wouldn't settle, and when I opened my bedroom door he ran to his crate and settled in nicely! I tried another night when there were fireworks being set off from the house behind, nope, still wouldn't.

Some nights I let him sleep in the living room, but I sleep on the couch and he loves that as long as I'm there. He'll sleep soundly all night.

He's in my bedroom quite a lot, if he wakes up early I'll take him up while I go back to sleep, or when I'm getting ready or cleaning up. He's happy enough to lay on my bed then and just relax but he won't sleep up there. I'm fine with that to be honest, don't really want him sleeping in my bedroom but if it's a choice between that or him being scared I'd let him up there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts