Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leo has started basic obedience classes (he is nearly 6 months). The instructor said this week to practice a trick with them - anything we like at all. Just so we bond with our dog better and have something fun to do with them.

Any ideas on what I should teach him? And if you know how to teach it that would be great to hear too :)

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
Max and I like to do spin and twirl and then take a bow. Spin is easy, just hold the treat in front of his nose and get him to sort of chase it around, twirl is the other direction. Bow takes a little more work but he's pretty good at it now!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Weaving through your legs...
Sitting 'pretty'
Waving

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
We just bought the book 101 Dog Tricks, and I can't stop raving about it! I has so many levels and types of tricks. Bogey loves it and we like the step-by-step instructors! BUY IT!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He doesnt know alot of tricks. The things he knows are sit, down, stay, wait (for food and his toys- he will wait as long as you want till you say ok), he knows spin- but will only do it for very yummy treats, he knows "bang" means lie on his side, but he only does it if i point a the ground, he knows "get your duck" and "get the ball".

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Why not shake and Hi-Five? You can teach shake by putting a treat in front of his nose and pushing in a little. For many dogs (especially younger) they will naturally pick one paw up as a suckle reflex from being younger. After you get shake reliably, you can ask your dog to shake (or pretend like you want a shake to get one) but then flip your hand up to get a Hi-Five instead. Introduce the word quickly though so that shake doesn't become Hi-Five.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I started with Sit, then Down, Stand, Roll over, Stay, Shake, Paw. Im waiting for her to master those, and know them on command before i keep going. :)
I recommend 101 Dog Tricks. its a book and it shows you how to teach your dog every trick you can think of!!! Going from Easy - Hard. It has tons of pictures, and tips and advice :)
http://www.amazon.com/101-Dog-Tricks-Activities-Challenge/dp/1592533256

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I also own the 101 Dog tricks book and would definitely recommend it. Shake, spin and generally easy tricks to teach.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
We taught Sam "shake" for his puppy class trick. And funnily enough, I think "shake" is the most ingrained trick Dillon has in his head from his previous owners... it's hilarious, but I'll say "shake" to Sam, and Dillon could be in a deep sleep across the room, and he'll jump up and run over to me and put his paw in my hand. It's so funny!!

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Our first trick is " gimme five! "... It was cute in class when after they did what the lesson was I would ask for this.. Use the basic commands he knows now. Tricks are like building a wall.. you need a foundation.. than build on it. If he knows " down ".. and " wait " you can put a treat on his paw and have him wait.. work up to one on each paw and also on his nose.. mine will do this side by side.. My favorite is " peek a boo ".. You lure them between your legs from behind you.. just the head then treat. Really cute to say it a see the goofy smiling face pop through! For BANG... they need to know down first. I would put them in a down, then lure them into postion with a smelly treat.. Make sure the head is all the way over and wait a sec for them to be still then treat. I say bang while luring.. The hand cue is you pointing your finger at them.. add that later. These ought to keep you busy for a while have fun! :D

·
Bailey Boy's Pop
410 Posts
Our first trick is " gimme five! "... It was cute in class when after they did what the lesson was I would ask for this.. Use the basic commands he knows now. Tricks are like building a wall.. you need a foundation.. than build on it. If he knows " down ".. and " wait " you can put a treat on his paw and have him wait.. work up to one on each paw and also on his nose.. mine will do this side by side.. My favorite is " peek a boo ".. You lure them between your legs from behind you.. just the head then treat. Really cute to say it a see the goofy smiling face pop through! For BANG... they need to know down first. I would put them in a down, then lure them into postion with a smelly treat.. Make sure the head is all the way over and wait a sec for them to be still then treat. I say bang while luring.. The hand cue is you pointing your finger at them.. add that later. These ought to keep you busy for a while have fun! :D
I too Love Peekaboo.....This may sound bad but sometimes when me and my friend are drinking a little and we have our dogs around, we do group training classes (3 dogs, Golden, Great Dane, Cane Corso Mastiff) and we compete against each other to see who's dog can do/learn the best trick...being intoxicated and bored takes training to a new level. My dog has learned some cool tricks while under the influence. I like when he walks backwards through my legs or just heels going backwards...

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I too Love Peekaboo.....This may sound bad but sometimes when me and my friend are drinking a little and we have our dogs around, we do group training classes (3 dogs, Golden, Great Dane, Cane Corso Mastiff) and we compete against each other to see who's dog can do/learn the best trick...being intoxicated and bored takes training to a new level. My dog has learned some cool tricks while under the influence. I like when he walks backwards through my legs or just heels going backwards...
This made me laugh.. So many people get all tense when training.. dog senses this, gets confused and freezes up. You are an example light hearted, keep it fun training.. If we laugh, goof up and do silly things the pups are a natural and will join right in.. My personality is like a Goldens. :D

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
This is the best dog trick I have ever seen, and it just so happens it's a Golden.

I have no doubt everyone has seen this 100 times, but it's so good here it is again :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqbVbPvlDoM

Carolyn Scott & Rookie.

I can't even begin to fathom how you would teach a dog to do this, and it had to have taken forever to get the routine down right.

The foot stomping at 2:10 is amazing to me.

Rookie does make a few mistakes (a couple of extra twirls), but he still gets a 10 from me :)

BTW... This is the first complete version of this that I have seen.

·
Mia & Mollie's human mom
1,706 Posts
Mia's known shake and high five since she's been 9 weeks old. Those are really cute tricks that people seem to love.

She now knows wave as well, which is really cute. And depending which hand you wave to her with is the paw she'll do it with.

No clue how my FH taught her the wave though... I'll have to ask! :p:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts