Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Finn
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Nobody:
Finn: *sits up so enthusiastically out of a down that he clonks his snoot on my hand with an audible clonk noise

·
Registered
Finn
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
I'm trying to decide if teaching a heel is a ''This is an important learning experience and everyone makes mistakes'' situation or a ''this is one thing that is very important that you don't mess up because it will make your life very hard later'' situation

Once he can heel we could start working on Rally signs but I've been worried that starting it wrong will cause loads of problems down the line.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm trying to decide if teaching a heel is a ''This is an important learning experience and everyone makes mistakes'' situation or a ''this is one thing that is very important that you don't mess up because it will make your life very hard later'' situation

Once he can heel we could start working on Rally signs but I've been worried that starting it wrong will cause loads of problems down the line.
I’d vote for a bit of both. Everyone makes mistakes, because each dog is an individual, but most mistakes can be fixed. I see two mistakes that people struggle to fix: making heeling unpleasant or boring so that the dog learns to hate the exercise, and letting the dog discover that the handler doesn’t have control once the leash is removed.

·
Registered
Finn
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Eh, to hell with it- I'm going to start training for rally along with scent work, and focus more on reversing our disastrous socialization job that's made him bonkers.

·
Registered
Finn
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Tried to start heeling tonight with some pivoting. He targets the box just fine, but only thinks that he has two legs, so when I try to get him to move his back ones he gets frustrated.
Dog Wood Dog breed Flooring Carnivore

*lays down in frustration

His leg weaves are coming along really well, though! Thank you @diane0905 for the suggestion!
Dog Felidae Dog breed Wood Gesture

(sorry about the poor quality photo, it's a screenshot from a video)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I’d split the sidestep with the hind legs out from the platform work and use a clicker. I rarely use a clicker but I find it useful when I’m aiming for a very specific movement such as a sidestep with the hind legs or a step backwards. A floor-length mirror also helps because it makes it easier to see the instant of foot movement. You need to click and reward the instant the dog takes a sideways step. Once he’s freely taking one sidestep, you can wait for two, then four, then combine it with platform work in heel or front position.
There are a few ways to get the sideways step. One way is simply to lure the dog around a cone or a small item of furniture. Another way is to hold your hand down at your side, palm towards your leg, with food or a toy between your thumb and the palm of your hand. Encourage Flynn to put his nose between your hand and your leg, trying to access the food or toy, then turn towards him so that his head turns. He’s likely to step sideways to straighten his neck.

Congratulations on teaching the leg weave. I’ve been trying to teach leg weaves to my CDX, RM dog, with little success.

·
Registered
Finn
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I’d split the sidestep with the hind legs out from the platform work and use a clicker. I rarely use a clicker but I find it useful when I’m aiming for a very specific movement such as a sidestep with the hind legs or a step backwards. A floor-length mirror also helps because it makes it easier to see the instant of foot movement. You need to click and reward the instant the dog takes a sideways step. Once he’s freely taking one sidestep, you can wait for two, then four, then combine it with platform work in heel or front position.
There are a few ways to get the sideways step. One way is simply to lure the dog around a cone or a small item of furniture. Another way is to hold your hand down at your side, palm towards your leg, with food or a toy between your thumb and the palm of your hand. Encourage Flynn to put his nose between your hand and your leg, trying to access the food or toy, then turn towards him so that his head turns. He’s likely to step sideways to straighten his neck.
I will try that!! I've also been trying to start working on rear leg awareness by having him back up and having him back onto a low platform (rn it's just a cushion).

Congratulations on teaching the leg weave. I’ve been trying to teach leg weaves to my CDX, RM dog, with little success.
Thank you! It took a while but I'm very happy with how it's going.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Yay for the weaves! They are so much fun!!

For pivots, I stood in front of Logan holding a treat in front of me with both hands — and low enough he didn’t attempt to sit. I would very slightly inch my self in one direction (to the right was easier) until I saw him make any move my with his rear legs and then immediately click and treat. FWIW, I used a round bowl with a big enough flat bottom that didn’t slip around on the floor. He eventually connected his rear legs moving was what was getting clicked/treated.

Once he had one direction down, I taught the other. Next I would combine a few steps right and a few steps left. We kept practicing over time until he could go completely around both ways.

After that, I taught him to do paws up in heel position. Throw a treat behind you and as he comes back point at it and say paws up. Or whatever you’re using for that command. Then we began the inching around process with me moving my foot closest to the bowl. Click/treat the second his hind legs made movement. Once it worked inching all the way around with him on both sides, I started taking 1/4 steps around the bowl. Then we moved onto without the bowl — sometimes back and forth between the two until he got it.

It’s a process. :D Y’all can do it!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Hind end awareness....lay a ladder down on the ground and he him step between the rungs.

Reactions: FinnTheFloof
41 - 55 of 55 Posts