Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
Finn
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd really like to teach my dog, Finn, to jump on my back. I've been using this method:
However, instead of kneeling parallel to my bed, I've been at a 90 degree angle, so his front paws are toward my shoulder and his hind paws are toward my butt.
I can get two paws on my back, but whenever I lure him further and he tries to get three/four, he slides forward. Is this an issue with his balance? My clothes?? I think that part of the issue is that instead of moving his hind paws, he takes a step forward with his front, resulting with him being too far forward. He'd be able to stand fine if he left his front paws where they were and moved his back paws off the bed, but he doesn't.
Help!

·
Registered
Finn
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lot of us would prefer to train 70-80 pound dogs NOT to jump on our backs.... :D
Right now he only weighs 57 and I’ve seen people do it with GSDs and I’m determined lol
I dance for two hours most days, so I’m in pretty good physical shape, and I’d like to get a cool trick down to impress my friends.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think Flynn might be a bit young for that training. I wouldn’t introduce games with paws on people until he’s past the excitable adolescent stage. Also, until Flynn reaches physical maturity, I’d avoid activities where there’s a risk of him falling or jumping down awkwardly and damaging his joints.

However, If I wanted to teach a dog that, I’d set him up for success by teaching him to jump and balance on a small elevated platform first. I might also do some training with a wobble board.

If you google canine parkour, you might find some ideas for activities that you can do to extend Flynn’s experience and confidence. Just keep the obstacles very low and keep hold on his harness to support him.

·
Registered
Finn
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think Flynn might be a bit young for that training. I wouldn’t introduce games with paws on people until he’s past the excitable adolescent stage. Also, until Flynn reaches physical maturity, I’d avoid activities where there’s a risk of him falling or jumping down awkwardly and damaging his joints.

However, If I wanted to teach a dog that, I’d set him up for success by teaching him to jump and balance on a small elevated platform first. I might also do some training with a wobble board.

If you google canine parkour, you might find some ideas for activities that you can do to extend Flynn’s experience and confidence. Just keep the obstacles very low and keep hold on his harness to support him.
Thank you!

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Ya know... you can probably do the CGC now. That's just minimal training. And go [email protected] the list of tricks on AKC- you probably have a few of those down, too- Diane posted when Logan was a puppy her trick training with lots of videos here- so that's two down.

·
Registered
Finn
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya know... you can probably do the CGC now. That's just minimal training. And go [email protected] the list of tricks on AKC- you probably have a few of those down, too- Diane posted when Logan was a puppy her trick training with lots of videos here- so that's two down.
He wouldn't pass the CGC because of his reaction to other dogs- people ask 'is he friendly?' while he's going insane and the answer is always 'too friendly!'
We're actually going to the park today to practice this. He's improving, but still needs a lot of work.
He'd also probably fail the 'sit politely for petting' part of the test because it says 'sit politely' not 'wiggle around like a happy worm and get everyone tangled in the leash'
We have 10 tricks for our TKN but haven't been able to find an evaluator (which is just as well because I'm waiting for his name change to go through before getting any titles).

·
Registered
76 Posts
We have 10 tricks for our TKN but haven't been able to find an evaluator (which is just as well because I'm waiting for his name change to go through before getting any titles).
Have you tried emailing [email protected]? Supposedly they will help you find an evaluator. Perhaps there’s a good reason (high volume?), but I feel like they should make the Trick Dog videos an online submission like they did for virtual Rally.

·
Registered
Finn
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you tried emailing [email protected]? Supposedly they will help you find an evaluator. Perhaps there’s a good reason (high volume?), but I feel like they should make the Trick Dog videos an online submission like they did for virtual Rally.
They are an online submission, I believe.
I've asked two people if they know anyone, and reached out, but haven't gotten a response.
I will email them once his name is changed. Thank you!

·
Registered
76 Posts
They are an online submission, I believe.
I've asked two people if they know anyone, and reached out, but haven't gotten a response.
I will email them once his name is changed. Thank you!
I think even for the video submissions you still have to submit the Trick Dog paperwork the old fashioned way, as opposed to submitting the form though their website and typing in all your information and pasting in the video link, but maybe someone who has done this recently can chime in.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Go Under is easy and fun. I haven't tried to teach Logan to jump on my back. No thanks. :ROFLMAO: Leg weaves seem to impress people from what I've noticed. Walking backwards is very helpful and pretty cool.

My favorite tricks are ones that come in handy for things we've done/are doing later -- like competition obedience class and agility -- things like front paws up on a platform, pivoting (both directions), walking backwards, spinning right/left, circling a cone in both directions, fetch, give, and touch. It makes me happy when I realize he has a skill for something new we are learning.

There's a Facebook group called Trick Dog Titles. If you join, you can find evaluators there.

·
Registered
Finn
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Go Under is easy and fun.
Is go under going under your body when you're kneeling like that?
Leg weaves seem to impress people from what I've noticed.
We're working on those!
My favorite tricks are ones that come in handy for things we've done/are doing later -- like competition obedience class and agility -- things like front paws up on a platform, pivoting (both directions), walking backwards, spinning right/left, circling a cone in both directions, fetch, give, and touch. It makes me happy when I realize he has a skill for something new we are learning.

There's a Facebook group called Trick Dog Titles. If you join, you can find evaluators there.
Thank you! He can already do some (front paws up, spinning, working on walking backwards) of those but those are some great ideas!

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Is go under going under your body when you're kneeling like that?
Yes. I'm a bit in cat pose (as opposed to tabletop) with Logan because he's big now. We haven't done it lately. I'd probably have to add a "slow" command to temper his exuberance. lol I keep telling myself to get his advanced tricks title -- he only needs one more -- but we are busy doing so much.

·
Registered
Finn
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes. I'm a bit in cat pose (as opposed to tabletop) with Logan because he's big now. We haven't done it lately. I'd probably have to add a "slow" command to temper his exuberance. lol I keep telling myself to get his advanced tricks title -- he only needs one more -- but we are busy doing so much.
You should!!

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
Jan Moore-

she'll do it by video.

tell her also you're looking for a Juniors dog, and that you are my bud....
R

·
Registered
116 Posts
He wouldn't pass the CGC because of his reaction to other dogs- people ask 'is he friendly?' while he's going insane and the answer is always 'too friendly!'
We're actually going to the park today to practice this. He's improving, but still needs a lot of work.
He'd also probably fail the 'sit politely for petting' part of the test because it says 'sit politely' not 'wiggle around like a happy worm and get everyone tangled in the leash'
I refer to my four-year-old dog as “my social butterfly”. I wish I’d focused on training calm greetings when she was younger. I was in such a hurry to start competing that I neglected manners training. Honey won her first Obedience and Rally competitions at 10 months old, but I REALLY wish I’d taught the essentials first.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
If you have your 10 tricks, make a video and send it to me! I would be happy to evaluate him! Just remember that I need to see each trick done twice in each video!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts