Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
lukin
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have recommendations for the perfect treat for training purposes. I really can`t find that one treat for my dog to crave, Thanks

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I do like to alternate treats, but one of my (and my dog's) favorites is Buffalo Bites. It's like a buffalo jerky that can easily be broken into any size pieces.For a really high value reward I recommend using Ceasar's dog food (comes in the little individual containers). I put a pack into a squeeze tube and give a squirt as a reward.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
High value treats for Rookie are little tiny bits of boiled chicken, cheese, and dried liver. If I'm going to be able to wash my hands easily and I want a REALLY high value treat, I'll use canned sardines or hot dogs.

·
BonnieM
152 Posts
I'm using a product called Zuke's Mini Naturals. They are little moist nuggets without wheat, corn, or soy. Right now, Sam's loving the chicken flavored.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
we alternate between cheese, chicken and Rubys favourite liver with a sprinkle of garlic powder on it as it is cooking
smells pretty potent but does the trick

·
Registered
151 Posts
I give my pup cheese or beef/chicken wiener chopped into little cubes. Since my vet suggested giving more fiber to my pup, I've been giving him apples, also chopped into little cubes, as treats. Don't give the core/seeds tho, it's toxic to them.

·
Boudiga
4,102 Posts
it's not the healthiest, but hot dogs cut into little pieces. i have found them to be the equivalent of puppy crack.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I use Wellness Puppy bites quartered.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
We don't really buy a lot of treats. When Tucker was a puppy, we used his regular kibble as rewards for good behavior. We also used plain Cheerios and very small pieces of hotdog. When we do buy treats, it's usually something like Bill-Jac liver treats.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I use a mix of regular kibble from her daily allotment, cheddar cheese bits, and whatever leftover meat we have! That way, even the boring old kibble has some extra flavor, and when she has an extra great response, I can treat with her favorite - real meat!

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
Store bought treats: Zukes Mini Naturals or diced up Natural Balance Rolls

Home Made: Boiled chicken, hamburger or steak sliced into small pieces

I have also seen people use peanut butter or baby food, just dip your finger into the jar. Not as convenient, but they work! One of Mira's littermates gets cheese whiz!

Just test some different things out until you find out what works. Good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts