Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not remember what thread it was but someone mentioned that walking your dog is not exercise for the dog. Huh....I guess you definitely learn something new everyday on here! (which I love).

Anyways, I do not have access to my pup playing with other dogs (at least on a daily basis) and Lucky is not to impressed with playing fetch outside. We typically play "chase" outside. BUT I am not in near enough shape to keep that up for an hour!

I started doing some checking into doggie daycares. I ran into many that state they have treadmills for the dogs to run on. So my question is can a dog run on a treadmill at my house? If so is there anything I need to do for this (besides be there and supervise the whole time).

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Please remember I am very new to this. I am hoping this is not a terribly stupid question. :bowl::confused::bowl:

(By the way, Luck is still having issues with the loose stools so I have every intention of waiting until he is healthy before we start any form of daycare or exercise)

THANKS

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
I don't know much about dogs and treadmills, but I have read in other posts that standard human treadmills are not long enough to accommodate a dog's stride.

Seeing as Lucky is only 11 months old, I would also not recommend it for almost another year when he has stopped growing. The treadmill is a hard surface and with that constant running, I can't see how it would be good for his joints. Again, I'm no expert, but I would say that a brisk 45 minute walk everyday is good enough exercise for both you and Lucky, especially at his age.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I don't think it is a correct statement to say walking is not enough, however it may not be enough physical cardio exercise for a dog. I don't know about you folks but I can not go fast enough to keep my dogs in a good steady trot long enough. I can't run :p:

I mix up my dogs exercise. Again I want to agree with esSJay that 11 months don't go too crazy on "exercise" because they are still growing. I take my dogs for walks, I have taught them to trot next to a bike (I wouldn't start this before they are at LEAST 18 months and fully grown), we play frisbee at the park (good sprinting cardio exercise) but don't go nuts allow them to stop rest, dogs usually won't pace themselves they want to please you. We show agility so I mix in agility practice too, and when weather permits we swim as much as possible. Just taking them for walks is usually fine UNLESS you have a weight issue. My dogs get lots of activities because they are SPOILED ROTTEN AND DEMAND TO HAVE FUN!

Ok my opinion on treadmills. They have there place. I have not paid attention to the length in relation to a dogs stride so I can't speak there. I do have a "doggy" treadmill non motorized, it does not have a long tread, in fact I think it is smaller than most human. It was bought based on the size of the dog. Now mine is a little small for Teddi the dog it was purchased for she was still growing when it was ordered (I didn't order, long wonderful story). We wanted one for winter exercise so if it got cold nasty and icy we could still exercise. We really have not "needed" it like we thought we would. I have contemplated donating it, but we are getting a pup, a smaller size dog. We are hoping for a high drive individual we may want it to give her additional outlet for energy. "IF" you want to go the treadmill route, watch garage sales for good used ones. That was our intention. Some dogs do not like them and you don't want to pay lots if it is not going to get used. If you have one, sure give it a try, low speeds lots of treats and SLOWLY work up in speed and duration.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
One more thing and this is MY opinion. I do not care for doggy daycares or dog parks. First of all if my dog is interacting with other dogs I want to be there if it gets out of hand. Daycares are VERY careful as they have liability issues, but still dogs are dogs. Dog parks are TOO out of control for me. The "other" handlers can't necessarily read other dogs or their own for that matter. I see them as places asking for fights, injury and illness.

To me both are just WAY too risky. Who pays the vet bills if your dog gets hurt? My guess is you do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts