Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to seek some advice from people who have travelled with their dogs across states. Did you encounter any difficulty? We're thinking of bringing Lucca on a trip sometime this yr or so and it's our first trip with a dog. Actually Lucca is still abit overly hyper whenever he sees people and other dogs. So we don't know if we will have a problem with bringing him on trips unless I keep putting him in a sit-stay position when we see people. :doh:

What do you guys do with your dog during your travel when you have to go to somewhere where pets are not allowed?

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
I had sure to preplan my stops at hotel/ motels that are pet friendly an carry a list of pet friendly chains. I generally don't go places where my dogs aren't allowed if they are traveling with me. If I do someone stays with the dogs. I know some people do crate their dogs and leave them at the hotel if they are going some place dogs are not allowed.

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
Not all hotels take dogs, and some that do only take little lap dogs, so it's best to call ahead. While a chain's website may indicate that dogs are accepted, you need to contact the hotel direct.

There was a thread not long ago about the pet parents being charged a very large surcharge because of excessive hair left in the room. Imagine, a golden shedding! The moral of the story is be prepared and be a good guest.

We don't go anywhere that the dog isn't allowed, and if need be, one of us stayed back at the room with her.

One other word of advice, be sure to use your flea preventative.

We all know how much our Goldens are loved, people just automatically gravitate to us on our potty stops along the way!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I'm giving him trifexis on a monthly basis. Will that suffice for flea control? Do I need to give him a topical for ticks? If we're going, we'll be going to Colorado. It's a cold place so ticks and fleas shouldn't (hopefully) be too big a problem?

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
There are plenty of decent hotels that allow pets. Some hotels charge a pet fee, some don't. It's best to call ahead and ask. Also, I always lie and say Flora is below 50lbs if there is a weight limit on dogs. No one ever questions it.

If you're going somewhere that doesn't allow dogs, say out to a restaurant or shopping, and you're comfortable leaving your dog in the hotel room, make sure to put the "Do not disturb" sign on the door so housekeeping doesn't accidentally come into your room while you're gone. Otherwise, you could always leave you dog in the car. I do that a lot with Flora, as she tends to be more comfortable in my car than she is in a strange hotel room.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,647 Posts
We have traveled from the NC Coast to visit my family that lives in the Midwest several times.

I have always made reservations ahead of time-I've used this webiste, BringFido.com,
BringFido.com - Pet Friendly Hotel & Dog Travel Directory.

I have gone directly to the hotel's website and made the reservations AFTER calling the hotel to make sure they accepted pets and checked the weight limits or any other restrictions. I have found Hotel policies vary greatly depending on the area you are traveling.

I normally ask for a ground/1st floor room, especially when we were traveling with my bridge boy.

ETA: I always bring along my dog's Rabies cert. and other vaccination records when traveling out of state.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Most motel 6's allow pets :) I havent done any traveling with Rio, but with my past pets (we're military) we've moved across states and oversea's with our pets. For our stateside travels we kept all our pets crated (except one of our dogs, he was my co pilot during the drive lol) we made sure to pack lots of treats, bottled water (dogs get sick switching water too), food, and made alot of extra stops to stretch our legs and get a potty break. Make sure to pack heartworm preventatives/flea meds....especially if you go from a low risk area to a high risk area. I always had a crate on hand for my pets that way when we were at a hotel or at someone else's home and wanted to go out and do something that wasnt dog friendly we didnt have to worry about what to do with them.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
[QUOTE
What do you guys do with your dog during your travel when you have to go to somewhere where pets are not allowed?[/QUOTE]

I don't go.......:)

Pete

Reactions: Claire's Friend

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
As Carolina Mom said, take your dog's rabies certificate and tags (and health records).

If you are gone during the time you normally dose with HW preventive, take the preventive. I forgot this once when I was visiting SIL in NC and ended up paying for a vet visit there so the vet could call our regular vet and confirm everything.

Don't forget to carry water in the car for Lucca--esp. in CO where you can dehydrate easier (at least I do there).

Also, make sure you have him on a lead at all rest stops and keep him safely crated or buckled in while on the road (and not in a seat where an airbag could inflate and injure him).

Collar with tags, microchip and a tag on the lead with your contact information--all good to have. Also snap a photo or two and keep handy with you on the off chance that Lucca gets lost--you can make posters faster this way.

There is a travel form Hooch made that is a Sticky here on the forum--that's always good to carry with you, as well as a emergency kit for Lucca.

Poop bags for road stops and for the hotel bathroom excursions.

We always are with our dogs on trips and never leave them alone--this keeps them from barking and disturbing other guests.

With Toby, who prefers the "big bed", we carry our own blanket for him to use--that way he doesn't deposit fur on the bedspread and it keeps him off the carpet that might have fleas.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the helpful and valuable tips! I'll keep all these in mind when we bring lucca for holiday.

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
Motel 6 AKC Discount

The last AKC E-newsletter I received (just this week) had a short item about traveling with your dog. It mentioned the AKC members get a discount when staying at Motel 6 locations.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Just a thought ... if you're going to Colorado, keep an eye on your dog in the high altitudes. Since a change in altitude affect humans, it probably bothers dogs too. Suspect your dog will need more fluids, and might just get a little altitude sickness.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
You will love it. I did a cross country adventure (over 6,000 miles in 2 months) with my first girl almost 20yrs ago. She was about 2yrs old, no problems. We only stayed in a motel room twice, otherwise camped out. Drive up Mt Evans if you get the chance, we did.

Mount Evans - Highest Paved Road in North America

We did not experience any problem with altitude, my old car was gasping for breathe though. Here is a pic of the summit with Deadra in the car. I did not let her out when I took the pic with the bighorn sheep wandering around. I did let her out to explore after I shooed them away. I could write a book about our grand adventure, so many stories.

Bring the vet records/first aid kit ect. You will be fine. If you see a bunch of cars stopped by the road, stay in the car. Usually a bunch of idiots walking right up to Bison, bears, elk etc to take a picture. That is asking for trouble. You're just going for a long drive, not another planet. Use common sense and have fun!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts