Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey!!!

We are going for a road trip to my inlaws in two weeks. Jax will be almost 15 weeks at this point.
Any car advice? He does well any time he has gone in the car but my husband has sat in the back seat with him each time so far. I can't have that for 2.5- 3 hours though!! Well... if necessary I can but I would love to see him able to sit alone.

My husband suggested keeping him in his crate in the back ( hatchback) I am not convinced the crate will fit but if it does is this a good idea?

I have a seat protector in the back seat ( brand new car) so I'm not worried about accidents but it's a Toyota matrix and if anyone knows this car the doors are slanted so he has nothing to place his paws on to look out the window.

Also, how often would you stop for pee breaks?

Thanks everyone!!:wave:

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
I travel with all of mine. I even travelled with a 6 week old yorkie litter- Litter was crated. They stayed dry for the 2.5 hour trip from my house to my cousin's in CT.

I would think a 4 month old puppy would be fine for the trip. I would get a doggie sealt belt for him so that he does not find trouble.

I play it by ear. If the pups get wormy or wiggly I stop ASAP.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Molly went on a road trip at 5 months. The longest leg of the trip was 9 hours. She did fine. She was crated for most of the longer legs, but on the 9 hour drive home, we decided she'd be fine with just a harness and hammock. I gave her a Himalayan dog chew which she loved so most of the way she just chewed on that, slept, and begged with her eyes for the food we were eating during the ride :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I travel with all of mine. I even travelled with a 6 week old yorkie litter- Litter was crated. They stayed dry for the 2.5 hour trip from my house to my cousin's in CT.

I would think a 4 month old puppy would be fine for the trip. I would get a doggie sealt belt for him so that he does not find trouble.

I play it by ear. If the pups get wormy or wiggly I stop ASAP.
I have seen those doggy seatbelts and was curious about them! I'll take another look at them. Would you agree this is a better way then the crate? .... I guess my concern is him hurting himself from the excitment. Usually when my husband is in the back I know at least he is saved if he slips on the door .. lol maybe I am just crazy protective!!

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
A crate is definitely safer than a seatbelt or harness in the event of an accident. The only reason why we decided not to crate her for the 9 hour drive home was because the rental car was very small and Molly for some reason wouldn't come out of the crate by herself, so we were hurting our backs and hitting our heads on the door frame to reach in and get her out and I think it was super unpleasant for Molly as well. It was SUCH a pain to get her out to potty and if she didn't potty, we'd think we went through all that trouble for you not to potty?!

A crate or travel kennel was also the only way her breeder would allow her puppies to travel home on pickup day. We used a kennel but now that she's big, it's too difficult to use one.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A crate is definitely safer than a seatbelt or harness in the event of an accident. The only reason why we decided not to crate her for the 9 hour drive home was because the rental car was very small and Molly for some reason wouldn't come out of the crate by herself, so we were hurting our backs and hitting our heads on the door frame to reach in and get her out and I think it was super unpleasant for Molly as well. It was SUCH a pain to get her out to potty and if she didn't potty, we'd think we went through all that trouble for you not to potty?!

A crate or kennel was also the only way her breeder would allow her puppies to travel home on pickup day.
I never thought of that.... maybe I will also put the divider in the crate so he isn't slipping and slideing in it. ... Hopefully after all of this it will fit!! I don't think it will it's 42"... we'll see!

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I never thought of that.... maybe I will also put the divider in the crate so he isn't slipping and slideing in it. ... Hopefully after all of this it will fit!! I don't think it will it's 42"... we'll see!
The only reason I bought her a dog bed was so she wouldn't slip and slide in her crate :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts