Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here travel with their pets & use motel rooms on their trips? Have you ever been charged an excessive fee on top of the pet fee the hotel charges?
We recently moved from ND to WI; but we ended up making a trip back to ND for the holidays and to bring back another of our vehicles. We always travel with our pets so we found a pet friendly motel, they charged us $20 per night per dog.
Today, a week after we stayed there, we check our bank statements and found that they charged us the amount we agreed to (room fee plus pet fee) and an ADDITIONAL $190. We called to find out what that was about and they told us it was additional pet fees. We had a Disturbance Fee because Packer barked once. There was another Deep Clean Fee because they said they had to deep clean everything because there was fur everywhere. They also told us that you are not allowed to leave the motel room with animals in there unsupervised (even if they are in kennels). We have contacted corporate offices in attempts to get our money refunded since hotel management refused us every way they could.
Next time I think I'll stick to Travelodges - my dogs had figured out how to get out of the room one time. Staff caught the dogs and kept them at front desk (staff loved it, even though our husky at the time changed their black clothes white). We weren't charged any additional fees by them & the next time we were never charged any pet fees at all (and the lady booking us in, remembered the husky). Even different motel chains, they've allowed us to bring in the animals and then would give us directions on how to get to a store or place needed.
Sorry this is so long, just frustrated by the motel chain.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I travel with two goldens all the time and have never had a problem. I bring their own bed and blankets for them to lay on. They are not allowed on the beds and I never leave them in the room alone. I make sure they are bathed and brushed before I take them anywhere.

If you paid by credit card you should contact them and dispute the charge; especially if you do not think you left the room the way they describe.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Name of the motel please? I want to be sure to put them on my "do not stay there" list. Holiday Inn Express already has made that list.

I stay at La Quintas when at all possible. If not, most Days Inns and Best Westerns are pet friendly without charging excessive fees. La Quinta doesn't charge a pet fee.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
That motel was a Super8.
We have stayed at Days Inn and La Quintas several times before with cats only - none have charged us any pet fee for the cats and all have been great.
Travelodge is our main place to stay now; well in the main areas we travel to anyways. We know staff really well, and they know our furry family too. They also know that the animals may be left unsupervised (but the dogs are in kennels when we are not around at motels - plus we always make sure we've had the dogs outside running around so they will sleep while we are gone; and we don't go too far away (gotta be able to check on them often when we are around family), since we have some young relatives who are allergic.
Our dogs have their doggy beds, they have their doggy toys, plus we have the kennels (must have after dog escaped) for them when we travel. The dogs were not at all up on the bed, they didn't chew on anything other than their toys (and we try not to bring squeaker toys), and the time when when briefly left them - they were in their kennels.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I recently traveled with a friend to the American Bullmastiff Nationals in KY. We took 4 bullmastiffs, 4 crates 4 bowls, etc...Stayed in a Days Inn on the way there, a Red Roof Inn on the way back. We checked in after dark @ the Days Inn. My friend went in & asked if they allowed dogs, they said yes. She paid for the room plus the dog fee & we unloaded the dogs & the crates. The manager evidently misunderstood her; thought we only had 1 dog, & a small dog at that. We were walking 2 of the dogs, when we ran into him. He was pretty upset, so we paid additional dog fees. We made sure he understood that 3 of the dogs were therapy dogs (they really are) & all 4 dogs have their AKC CGC; it helped. But he lurked around our room all night & the next morning, waiting for the "hounds from Hell" to be unleashed. Of course, it didn't happen; only one dog barked once, because she had to go out. No damage was done; they slept in their crates; very little fur, etc.
On the way back the Red Roof Inn only charged us $10 because the dogs were therapy dogs with their CGC's. They were big hits; everyone wanted to stop & pet them. We were treated very well; gave us a room close to the door on the first floor, etc.We were really impressed with them. Of course we worked at being good guests at both hotels. We picked up after the dogs, if you know what I mean..made sure there wasn't even water bucket puddles on the floor; the dogs slept in crates, etc.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I am sorry you are going through this. I will definitely add Super8 to my bad list. My vacation travels include my dogs, so I am always looking for pet friendly and pet unfriendly (to avoid) places. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Ruby, I have noticed that in general mentioning that they are therapy dogs and have their CGC (my two goldens are therapy dogs with their CGC and my lab has her CGC, my parents' dog has his CGC) does help. Not only with hotels/motels, but with vacation rental properties. Holiday Inn Express didn't care, if I didn't have a service dog, he couldn't weigh over 35 lbs, no exceptions. That's why they have lost my business completely.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
We have stayed at the Embassey Suites, near our parents, twice a year for 12 years. We've crated the young ones, always pick up after them and ask that the maids not enter the rooms. They love the glass elevator and know exactly where to head when they go out the door.
Most of the time, the dogs go with us when we leave the hotel. We have put them in the back room and closed the bedroom door. The hotel has our phone numbers and are instructed to call us if there is a problem while we are gone (usually Christmas Day or Thanksgiving Day only).
Three years ago, they started charging a pet fee. My husband was furious that they started it without notice (it wasn't even on their website), but not with the charge itself.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
The boys and I have spent many, many nights on the road in motels. Motel policies vary greatly so you need to do some research. Some charge an extra dog fee and some have a dog weight limit. The policies seem to vary by region. I would never leave them in the room alone. If I need to go out to eat the boys will sit in the truck. I always try to make a point of using my shoe to scour the carpet to get up as much of the dog hair as possible before I check out. LOL. I do everything I can to give dog owners a good rep. The places I've found the hardest to find pet friendly accomedations is large cities and far northern Maine. I was actually in a VERY nice hotel in downtown Boston the other night that was pet friendly but the extra fees were just crazy so I left the boys in Southern Maine for the night.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Ranger and I have slept in the truck together when we couldn't find accommodations that would let me bring him in. One time, I was told having a "big dog" was okay but when I walked in with him, the manager changed his mind because Ranger was 'scary-looking'. Yeah, my ferocious scary dog who was WAGGING HIS TAIL and 'smiling' at everyone. Another time I was given a smoking room and it was awful. The room stunk SO badly, that I left the windows open for 6 hours while Ranger and I sat in the tail gate of the truck in front of the room. When I finally had to go in, my asthma was so bad because of all the smoke that I couldn't sleep. I felt awful for Ranger and set his kennel up right in front of the window so he could - hopefully - get some fresh air.

Now, I just plan that we'll spend the night in my truck. A few blankets, a pillow and push the seats up and we're good to go.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I check pet friendly sites for hotels (or B&Bs, there is a fantastic pet friendly one in St. John New Brunswick that we have used twice) and always call the place directly to ask questions. If there is an email address, I have also emailed the owner, included a photo of my dog, and made extra sure about the policy.
Your charges sound ridiculous-like they just piled on the fees. Did they ever call your room to complain or say anything when you checked out?

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
We travel with Tucker and have had good experiences. We have to be careful with Tucker because he will bark at people in the hallway late at night. Usually if we run the AC on high, it is enough noise to distract him. We have never had a hotel tack on excessive fees after the fact. I would definitely contest the charge on my credit card if I were in your shoes. We have stayed at no name hotels, Econolodges and La Quintas. La Quinta is really nice.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We have done the same thing as BajaOklahoma when we've had to leave the pets in the room - give them our number and told them to contact us if anything happens and we will get back immediately.
They didn't have any real issues with the dogs being there, or the size of the dogs, as the lady at the front desk had to visit with both dogs on our way in. We had their kennels along and their dog beds, and neither of our dogs are allowed up on beds (at motels or at home). Most of the time we just left their dog beds in the kennels and every time I was up in the night they were laying in the kennels (I think it's more comforting for them - we have their kennels set up in the back room with their toys for them so they always see them and can go in if they want).

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,720 Posts
I only stay pet friendly. Never had a problem. My little yorkies do bark (they think they are rotties sometimes) but I always ask for an end room as to not disturb others. I think the most I was ever charge was $30 for 8 dogs (1 golden, 1 mama yorkie, 2 adult daughter yorkies, and 4 baby yorkies). I never leave mine unattended at a hotel or motel. The hotel/ motel is only for sleep.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,675 Posts
I've stayed at Days Inn and Comfort Inns with my two, $10-$20 per dog per night fee, no additional charges were added. We never leave our two unattended either. One of us stays with them at all times, we usually grab fast food and bring it back to the room.

Hotel policies do vary by location, most of the La Quintas in the area we were traveling had a weight limit so we were not able to stay there.

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
I spend time in hotels with my dogs. Perhaps because I show and it is always clearly stated in the premium list but

These are some of the things usually pointed out in the premium lists
Dogs are never left unattended in a room (put them in your car if you need to leave)
Use sheets or blankets of your own to cover all furniture
Do not wash or groom your dogs in the room
Clean up after your dog
Put additional blankets under crates or exercise pens to protect the carpet
etc

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I travel with two goldens all the time and have never had a problem. I bring their own bed and blankets for them to lay on. They are not allowed on the beds and I never leave them in the room alone. I make sure they are bathed and brushed before I take them anywhere.

If you paid by credit card you should contact them and dispute the charge; especially if you do not think you left the room the way they describe.
YES--be sure to dispute the charge with the credit card. The hotel will likely not give you a refund, but the credit card people will and they'll ask the hotel a question or two.

To me, this is similar to apartment complexes that bill themselves as "pet friendly," then charge a large deposit (OK with me) and then an extra $45-50 a month in "rent", not OK with me. What's with the "rent"--they don't charge per person, why per animal? Why "pet rent" at all? There are so many animals abandoned around here because people have lost their homes, moved into apartments and had to give up their pets. It's just highway robbery on the part of the real estate people.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Ranger and I have slept in the truck together when we couldn't find accommodations that would let me bring him in. One time, I was told having a "big dog" was okay but when I walked in with him, the manager changed his mind because Ranger was 'scary-looking'. Yeah, my ferocious scary dog who was WAGGING HIS TAIL and 'smiling' at everyone. Another time I was given a smoking room and it was awful. The room stunk SO badly, that I left the windows open for 6 hours while Ranger and I sat in the tail gate of the truck in front of the room. When I finally had to go in, my asthma was so bad because of all the smoke that I couldn't sleep. I felt awful for Ranger and set his kennel up right in front of the window so he could - hopefully - get some fresh air.

Now, I just plan that we'll spend the night in my truck. A few blankets, a pillow and push the seats up and we're good to go.

When traveled to upper Michigan this summer, one of the places we stayed at in Gaylord tried to put us in smoking rooms first. They swore nobody had been smoking in there, but the smell was horrendous. I went up front and complained and they moved us immediately. To a room where the window leaked so that there was a huge puddle on the floor next to my bed and had a toilet seat that fell off. LOL. But at least it didn't stink!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I have stayed at the Best Western, Days Inn, Motel6 and Super8 and never had any problems.

Super8 - I had my a cat and dog, and they had a policy of one pet per room. We had two rooms anyhow because of the size of our party, but I kept both pets with me. I don't remember ever paying more than 30 - 35 dollars pet fee.

I do know some places on the East coast that are now charging over $100 for a pet fee - almost as much as the room, if not more. My thinking is they are just trying to discourage pets from staying there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts