Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife, the kid, and I, don't take long trips, or overnight stays much anymore. There are several reasons, but one of them is my dogs. Max, and sapphire( mutt) , need attention like any living creature. Most places aren't dog friendly. Ergo, we have to plan in advance to either go dog-friendly or leave the dogs alone in the house for a few hours, arrange for someone to take care of them, or put them in the 'doggie hotel' ( animal hospital and kennel )> All options are either hard to make, or not generally available. Any suggestions would be welcome.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
There are hotel chains that are dog friendly. I always stay in La Quinta with the dogs when I travel.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
My wife, the kid, and I, don't take long trips, or overnight stays much anymore. There are several reasons, but one of them is my dogs. Max, and sapphire( mutt) , need attention like any living creature. Most places aren't dog friendly. Ergo, we have to plan in advance to either go dog-friendly or leave the dogs alone in the house for a few hours, arrange for someone to take care of them, or put them in the 'doggie hotel' ( animal hospital and kennel )> All options are either hard to make, or not generally available. Any suggestions would be welcome.
That is so weird...I just posted my dog friendly experience. Colorado is thumbs up!!

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Motel 6 is always dog-friendly.

Crate training and teaching your dog to be quiet in a crate helps, too. That way, if you stay in a dog-friendly hotel you can still go out for a few hours at a time and do non-dog things while your dogs are safely tucked away in crates in the room.

Traveling with dogs *is* a bit harder, but it can be done.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Traveling with dogs is not easy, but so rewarding! Where do you want to go? Pick a place, and I am sure someone here can tell you someplace that is dog friendly. You are in NJ, right? How about a trip to Dewey Beach, Delaware? of Knoebel's? You will be surprised what is dog friendly if you do a little search on the internet or ask questions here. If your dogs are well behaved, you will also be surprised where they will be allowed. We have eaten outside at high end restaurants that I though would say no when we asked if we could sit with our dog at an outside table. There is a dog friendly world out there, check it out.

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
Im leaving in an hour for a 3 day trip with my whole family + Joey. Not sure about the states, but up here there are a bunch of pet friendly areas all over the place. Most charges you extra for a pet, but its so much more convenient to have them with you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts