Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm looking for different options for transporting my dog in the car. I have not had a larger breed dog in a very long time, and I have a sedan so I'm looking for different options. If I had a SUV, I think a crate would be my choice, but seeing that I have less space in the rear of the car, what would be the best (safest) option? Or is there any way safe way to place a crate in the back of a sedan? My puppy is 10 weeks old, and I'd like him to get used to the idea of staying in the back of the car with the transport device while he's young.

·
Kate
23,501 Posts
Depending on the size crate you are using, you may bump up another size and still be able to fit it in the car.

With mine, by the time they outgrew the puppy crates, they got too big to get into stuff in the car and are better behaved in the car - and it was less of an issue.

I never liked the idea of crating dogs in the car, but I'll never forget the boy in my profile climbing around on everything when I was driving and really being a huge distraction and risking me getting into an accident because of him. Pups after him always spent a few weeks in a car crate while they were little scamps. And whatever I think about crates or harnesses in the car in general - I do firmly feel that until the pups are 4-5 months old, puppy buyers need to keep them contained to a crate or use a harness.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Depending on the size crate you are using, you may bump up another size and still be able to fit it in the car.

With mine, by the time they outgrew the puppy crates, they got too big to get into stuff in the car and are better behaved in the car - and it was less of an issue.

I never liked the idea of crating dogs in the car, but I'll never forget the boy in my profile climbing around on everything when I was driving and really being a huge distraction and risking me getting into an accident because of him. Pups after him always spent a few weeks in a car crate while they were little scamps. And whatever I think about crates or harnesses in the car in general - I do firmly feel that until the pups are 4-5 months old, puppy buyers need to keep them contained to a crate or use a harness.
Thanks for your reply. I think I may need to purchase another crate. The puppy one I currently have was originally for my smaller breed dog and my golden will outgrow it very soon. After posting this, I did some more research and came across this website: Welcome to the Science of Pet Safety!. I guess there are only a few crates that safely passed crash testing? I think I may need to just change my car to a SUV at this point 😂

·
Kate
23,501 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I think I may need to purchase another crate. The puppy one I currently have was originally for my smaller breed dog and my golden will outgrow it very soon. After posting this, I did some more research and came across this website: Welcome to the Science of Pet Safety!. I guess there are only a few crates that safely passed crash testing? I think I may need to just change my car to a SUV at this point 😂
Eh.... many SUV's are being built smaller (the fuel efficiency thing) so you may not get much more room than you currently have? I went from 6 seats in my Taurus to only 4 with my suv. 🥴 Many people who are crating the dogs in the car are driving minivans...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eh.... many SUV's are being built smaller (the fuel efficiency thing) so you may not get much more room than you currently have? I went from 6 seats in my Taurus to only 4 with my suv. 🥴 Many people who are crating the dogs in the car are driving minivans...
Then maybe a minivan 😅

·
Lead Super Moderator
2,148 Posts
If you want an SUV, you’re going to need one that’s a bit more boxy in shape. Think Ford Flex but more attractive 😂

I can creatively fit two crates in my Ford Edge. The sloping backend makes it difficult. I can fit one crate in sideways pretty easily though. Just needs to be a crate with a side door.

Reactions: abee

·
Registered
141 Posts
A crate might be more ideal, but I drive a CRV and my golden has to share the space with my two kids. I put a harness on her and I have a tether that buckles into seatbelt buckle and clips to her harness. She’s been great in the car since she was about four months old.

·
Registered
488 Posts
A crate is best, but sometimes not feasible. A harness designed for use in a car is second best. If you use a harness, the back seat is safer than the front seat.

Most importantly, almost any restraint is far better than no restraint. In an accident, you do not want the dog to be thrown from the vehicle. In the unlikely event he survives the impact, he’ll then be loose, terrified, and possibly running into traffic. An unrestrained dog is also a serious distraction for the driver and can cause an accident, If you use a crate, it needs to be strapped down. The one restraint technique you should never use is tethering the dog with its collar. That’s asking for the dog to be strangled or get a broken neck in an accident.

There are several harnesses on the market. I’ve used the sleepy pod, but don’t remember why I didn’t like it. (Harder to put on, maybe?) The one I use now is an EzyDog with the EzyDog seat belt attachment:

I usually drive a minivan (so uncool; I love my minivan) with the rear seats removed. It has plenty of room for crates and the huge amount of crap I haul around to OB trials.

For hunt training, sadly, my minivan doesn’t have enough clearance for the rocky ground of the training area. In our old pickup and sometimes in the minivan, Pinyon rode in the front seat in a harness.
Car Vehicle Dog Mirror Automotive mirror

Dog Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Carnivore

On occasion, I’ve used the harness in the back seat of the minivan:
Dog Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Carnivore

Pinyon has made it clear that he much prefers the harness to riding in a crate. Guess he likes the view. I gave into his opinion for a while, but I got tired of taking the harness off and on and went back to insisting he use the crate. Easier and safer If you have the option.

• Love

·
Kate
23,501 Posts
I usually drive a minivan (so uncool; I love my minivan) with the rear seats removed. It has plenty of room for crates and the huge amount of crap I haul around to OB trials.
:) it's all minivans and suburbans at the clubs I train at or looking around trials. Sometimes you get full sized vans as well....

Funny thing that I said at the last obedience trial was how much I loved them for the simplicity of just packing my training bag and walking in with just that and the camp chair I would sit on for the next few hours. I love showing in conformation, but hate setting up and taking down.

The person I spoke to looked at me and started laughing - I only realized a moment later how much stuff she had brought, including 2 meals.....

·
Super Moderator
408 Posts
When ours was about your puppy's age, he was not good in riding in cars. Would get carsick often and had slight car anxiety in the beginning.

We put him in this thing, which was the best purchase for us. It fit both in the backseat of our SUV and our sedan. It helped him learn how to settle and if he got sick, it was easier clean-up. He eventually got the hang of just chilling in the backseat by about 5 months, and by this time, he also stopped getting carsick, and we didn't need it anymore.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your other choice would be a good harness. We use sleepypod which is one of the few brands that has thoroughly tested.
Thanks for your reply. I'm looking at the sleepypod harnesses. Are you using the sport or terrain harness? I've been weighing options of crate vs harness and it seems like a harness would be the most ideal option for the backseat sedan. I measured the space in the back and it would too tight to fit a crate in the back (I was specifically looking at a ruffland crate).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A crate is best, but sometimes not feasible. A harness designed for use in a car is second best. If you use a harness, the back seat is safer than the front seat.

Most importantly, almost any restraint is far better than no restraint. In an accident, you do not want the dog to be thrown from the vehicle. In the unlikely event he survives the impact, he’ll then be loose, terrified, and possibly running into traffic. An unrestrained dog is also a serious distraction for the driver and can cause an accident, If you use a crate, it needs to be strapped down. The one restraint technique you should never use is tethering the dog with its collar. That’s asking for the dog to be strangled or get a broken neck in an accident.

There are several harnesses on the market. I’ve used the sleepy pod, but don’t remember why I didn’t like it. (Harder to put on, maybe?) The one I use now is an EzyDog with the EzyDog seat belt attachment:

For hunt training, sadly, my minivan doesn’t have enough clearance for the rocky ground of the training area. In our old pickup and sometimes in the minivan, Pinyon rode in the front seat in a harness.
View attachment 892270

View attachment 892271

On occasion, I’ve used the harness in the back seat of the minivan:
View attachment 892272

Pinyon has made it clear that he much prefers the harness to riding in a crate. Guess he likes the view. I gave into his opinion for a while, but I got tired of taking the harness off and on and went back to insisting he use the crate. Easier and safer If you have the option.
He's adorable! :) I do wish I had a minivan or another option. My family member has a larger SUV but I'll be mostly using my own sedan so I think the harness may be the best bet. Has Ezydog harness been safety tested too? I think I remember seeing the sleepypod on passing the safety test but couldn't recall the ezydogharness.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I had a beautiful set up in a Dodge Caravan. With gas prices going up, I decided to downsize back in October. (and now I don't regret it at all!) I now have a Chevy Spark. I use a hammock to protect my interior and harnesses on the dogs. They made the adjustment with no problem. I have people that complain that it's too small. Don't ask...I don't know why it's a problem for people who don't ride in it! It's getting over 40 mpg...so I'm happy!

Funny story time:
I have a small dog that I took to work one day and had my small 20 inch Elite Field crate in the car. The next day, I forgot it was there and took Pilot out to the car to go somewhere. I was going to take it out when I saw it there but he got inside of it and laid down. I never would have made him go in it but he actually likes it!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a Tesla3 and use a crash-tested harness with a hammock-type seat cover. The harness is a PITA. But what size collapsible travel crate would fit both a 47 pound dog (she’s petite) and a back seat? Goldielynn, would your thing fit a small adult golden? Goldendude, what about your transk9?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts