Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scout is getting so big but still lean. on the 12th of November he was 28.5 pounds.... And the bag of food (two different kinds we've had- breeder food and what we changed to) have the food amounts drastically reduced once puppies hit 4 months- from 3.5-4.5 cups down to about 1.5 cups a day- Scout is now 4 months and 2 weeks 5 days, and is healthy looking (lean), growing, etc. We feed about 1/2-1 cup of pumpkin in a kong during the day, plus feed 3 times a day, about 3/4-1 cup each time, and a couple of dog biscuits and some training treats (small bites maybe 20 per day?) does this seem like to much?

He goes CRAZY when his food comes and seems SO hungry. I feed about half the time in a kong or food ball (when I can find it- he gets it stuck every where)

Do I just follow the "bag"? I am trying to give a bit less per day to get to the 1.5 cups... thoughts?

·
Registered
140 Posts
at 4 months old my dog was fed 1 cup in the a.m., 1 cup
noonish and 1 cup in the p.m. he had a snack throughout the day.
i included training treats as food.

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
My general rule of thumb for puppies 4 months up to 6 or 7 months is 3 cups per day. I don't cut it back unless they look like they are putting on too much weight. I would not cut him back to 1.5, that's not enough for an adult dog.

What food are you feeding?

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
What brands of food recommend only 1.5 cups per day? Usually the bags tell you to feed way more food than the dog needs.
Your dog will continue to gain weight, of course, until he reaches his adult weight. So the amount of food he is to eat will change (even on the bags you have) right?
What has your vet advised?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's the Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, large puppy breed formula...

OK now I feel silly- I just went and looked at the bag and for his WEIGHT and age it is 2 1/3-3 1/3 cups... makes MUCH more sense!

Glad I've been giving him more than I 'thought' it said!

·
Registered
618 Posts
I was about to say, 1.5 cups is nothing. JJ is almost 6 months now and I'm still giving him 3 cups a day. He weighs 45lbs as of today, and the vet even said I could feed him a little more then I have been since he's still really lean. He's got a lot of skin to grow into.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts