Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Mr. Wilson's mom too!!
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone ever trained their puppy/dog to potty in one section of the yard? i have little kids who run around and a big yard it would make clean up much easier if i could keep it in one section:crossfing

·
Mr. Wilson's mom too!!
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take him there on leash for a few months first maybe?
ty:) yes that is what i was thinking... i have a friend in brazil and most dogs live outside there and she told me that they train them to go in one section of the yard (i was thinking since they are outside dogs they treat one section of the yard as sleeping/playing and the other for potty) of course my future dog will be an inside dog;) but i still would like to make clean up a little easier!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Yes, my son was 4 when we got our puppy and we didn't want her going where he played so from the very start (8 weeks old) we took her to the very back of the yard along the fence line. It helps to "name" the place (or it did for us) We just called it "the back". If she tried to go elsewhere in the yard we said "not here" and brought her to the spot and said "in the back". As a young puppy we carried her there and just stayed there( on leash ).

She picked it up pretty quickly. After a while we could just let her out and say go in the back. After a little longer she just knew.

Good luck!!

·
Mr. Wilson's mom too!!
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
take him to the same spot everytime it's potty time.
you could fence off an area for the dog.
great thank u; any ideas how big i should make the area and and what would be a good fence to use??

Yes, my son was 4 when we got our puppy and we didn't want her going where he played so from the very start (8 weeks old) we took her to the very back of the yard along the fence line. It helps to "name" the place (or it did for us) We just called it "the back". If she tried to go elsewhere in the yard we said "not here" and brought her to the spot and said "in the back". As a young puppy we carried her there and just stayed there( on leash ).

She picked it up pretty quickly. After a while we could just let her out and say go in the back. After a little longer she just knew.

Good luck!!
so glad to hear this worked for u; :wavey:(sorry my son wanted me to add the waving guy, lol) anyway, i like that u had a "name" for the spot, i wouldn't have thought of that!!:)

·
& Golden Roxy And Roo To
2,023 Posts
We did the same from 8 weeks of age and on.... we always did and still do leash walk them to the area of the yard that's theirs to do their business Ive just always said go pee or ya gotta poop ! lol

Its only about 20 -30 foot from the front door. And it is much easier for cleanup, and there are no surprises elsewhere in the yard ;) We didn't give the area a name though and thats a pretty good idea :)

We have two Goldens ..it is part of a large stone covered area so approx size for each dog is 8'x8'. They each have their own section.

·
Mr. Wilson's mom too!!
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would make it min 3m by 3m.

I would teach also the command "go potty", so he goes potty when you want him to.
that is a great idea thank u!

We did the same from 8 weeks of age and on.... we always did and still do leash walk them to the area of the yard that's theirs to do their business Ive just always said go pee or ya gotta poop ! lol

Its only about 20 -30 foot from the front door. And it is much easier for cleanup, and there are no surprises elsewhere in the yard ;) We didn't give the area a name though and thats a pretty good idea :)

We have two Goldens ..it is part of a large stone covered area so approx size for each dog is 8'x8'. They each have their own section.
by the front door would make it easier in the snow! wow, i don't think of these things! lol!!

also, ur dogs potty on stone, silly question but I have a mulched area with nothing growing would the dog do it's business there? don't they need grass? lol!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Trinity goes poop in one corner of our yard now that she's gotten used to going there :). We did the leash thing too when she was younger (she's just over a year old now).

Also! One interesting thing that's happened recently is that I found out she knows to go pee/poo on command! When you take your pup out for potty, try to get her used to the words "pee" or "poo" or whatever you want to use whenever she's actually doing it. Eventually it just sticks and voila :)!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I trained my previous golden by not only taking him to the same area every day but I also left some of his stools in that particular area - he picked it up very quickly. He trained my next dog who never has gone to the bathroom anywhere else in the yard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts