Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just got two goldie pups, two weeks ago. They're litter mates, brother and sister. I haven't had pups in years and years, so a little rusty on training. We're working (consistency!) on house breaking and either they're learning or I'm getting trained, haven't decided which! My question for the most part is, they absolutely HATE being separated, even for a few minutes. I need to at least get them leash trained - getting too big to carry - and I'm thinking this should be done one on one, not me and two at a time. Also, it is stupid for me to even try to start teaching them to sit, stay, etc? Any thought, helpful ideas, etc anyone can give me would be appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
It is never too early to start commands. Go for it ASAP! The more that they know, the easier (I hope) things will get for you. I'd also think it is wise to do both leash training and commands separately. It is important for them to go out of the house and to puppy class separately. They'll need to learn independence from one another. They sound adorable!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
They need to spend time seperated from each other every day. There will be times in their lives that it will be necessary, and you want them to be able to develop a strong bond with you, not just each other.

You can start teaching them basic commands at this age, just remember that they are babies.

You are much much braver (and must have more energy) than I. I wish you much patience and good luck.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
As said, enroll them in a puppy class ASAP, take the puppies on separate nights.

Separate them for some training sessions and walking.

The puppy not working should have exciting chews (kongs, filled with canned food and frozen) to keep him busy and/or a person to interact with at this stage.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you!

I will start separating them tomorrow, a little at a time. What you both said made sense. Yes, it's time consuming, but boy is it worth it..they are such different personalities already (he's a "lover-baby", she's an adventurer), so fun to watch them! I got them two day before I moved into my new house, so the last two weeks have been exhausting! LOL Good thing they're babies so they still take naps!
Thanks again for your input!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
another question

I have heard of different types of puppy classes, one rewards with treats, the other with praise. In your experience, which is best? That is, if I have a choice!

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I think it depends. Maybe since you have two puppies- you can try both!! ;)

Are one of your babies more food motivated over the other? I think as long as both classes focus on positive reinforcement, that is the most important.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no, they both eat!! Heaven knows! LOL I live in kind of a smaller town, so might not have much choice. I was thinking about getting them in puppy classes, but their vet said they aren't to be with other dogs until they've had ALL their puppy shots (16 wks)...that'll be in a few more weeks. So, guess classes will have to wait. I thought it was as long as they've had two sets of their shots they were good to be out and about.. Over cautious vet?????

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Read this puppy socialization statement:
http://www.avsabonline.org/avsabonline/images/stories/Position_Statements/puppy socialization.pdf

And discuss it and this letter with your vet:
http://www.thedogsspot.com/Letter-Dr.Anderson.pdf

Puppy socialization classes are about teaching puppies to love the world. We need them to have good (not neutral) experiences with hundreds of people, lots of appropriate animals, lots of sounds, surfaces, textures, smells, sights, etc..

If you have to drive to get to a good puppy class for both puppies, it will be worth it. You only have about 6 more weeks in the primary socialization period and need to be doing as much as you can to have good experiences. If you wait until all vaccs are done (at about 16 weeks) you will miss this optimal learning period.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Separate, separate, separate! They need to learn how to handle life on their own four paws. If it were me, I'd be sure to crate train and provide each pup its own crate. I'd suggest having them sleep alone, too. Yes, they won't like it at first, but it's a VERY important life lesson.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
You are very brave! I have one 10 month old along with my 2 seniors, and I can't imagine having 2 at this age.
Best of luck to you with your new pups!

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
I am strongly partial to positive training methods, and especially clicker training for youngsters.

Try to take a pup on a socializing adventure on its own every other day. By 12 weeks, the pups should meet 100 people and walk on 12 different surfaces- see little kids, wheel chairs, umbrellas, and funny hats, etc. Give lots of treats and make it fun.

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
If you can't take them to separate puppy classes because they don't offer them more than 1x/week, I would do half a class with one, half a class with the other. (Bring a crate!) That way each will get it's individual time with you and other animals. You can start puppy class, socialization is very important. Call your training facility and see what they require as far as vaccination status. If they won't allow you at this point, start socializing with friend/family dogs, kids, and adults. Make sure that the adult dogs are healthy and vaccinated. Don't miss this small window for such important socialization!!

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Ditto, separate! It's more work but in the end you will have two independant dogs. If you have any friends who can puppysit, I'd do sleepovers/weekends as well so you have one on one and the other pup does too, and then rotate. I had a puppy here a few months ago for that reason, two boys in the litter and the breeder wasn't sure which one was going to stay with her, so she just swapped them around.

Lana

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
I'vve kept littermates, and it is a lot of work :) I worked, so during the week, the best I could do was crate them separately and have them as part of the pack otherwise. On the weekends, I would take one puppy on a Saturday and drive 35-55 miles to one of the nearby bigger towns, with a Petsmart or Petco or something similar, for socialization and the next day I would do it with the other puppy. If I couldn't take that much time, I drove into town (again, singly) and pup and I would just walk down main street and some side streets.

I've done the sleepover bit too, when keeping more than one puppy.

The main thing is to try to separate or they can become too dependent on each other.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts