Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys use for training treats?

We are currently using "Train Me" training treats, they are in a red and blue bag. They are the smallest thing I can find. The problem is they are still too big to train things like "heel", I have been cutting them or breaking them apart, but I find that I waste a lot of time doing that, or I miss the proper time to reward my dog because I am breaking up a treat.

I have seen people use cat food, cause it is small, but I fear that will not be good for my dog.

I want something tiny and good, so that my dog wants them but doesn't get a large treat.

By the way, we want to avoid people food (e.g., cheese, hot dog, etc.)

Thanks.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
I know you said you want to avoid people food... but...

We get rotisserie chickens... cut the meat up in small pieces and put that into bags. They absolutely LOVE it. Plus, it's chicken... so... it's safe.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Zuke's are pretty small.

Also, what I did while clicker training (involves a LOT of treats) was just feed Tysen his dinner. Each click got a piece of kibble. We were able to get in TONS of repetitions and didn't have to worry about treats.

·
Miss Happy
1,504 Posts
The electric fence trainer used Cherrios and Miss Happy enjoyed them. Another treat is Charlie Bears which are small but they are 3 calories each.

·
Faux Wanda
1,528 Posts

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Natural Balance roll cut up into tiny bits.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,076 Posts
We use baby carrots...they`re sweet and the puppies love them....they`re healthy too!!!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I buy Wellness Puppy treats and quarter them. They're soft and easy to cut. Hank loves them.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
I break up Iams biscuits. I also use cut up steak, chicken, and hamburger in very small pieces. It all works.

·
Murphy's mom
1,025 Posts
I use lots of different things!

low value......his kibble. (He still will work for this at home.)

higher value....string cheese cut into tiny bits, turkey hotdogs, Natural Balance rolls cut into bits, chicken, steak, Buddy Bisquits..soft and chewy bites. Basically a variety!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
We used to use Charlie Bears before we found out Brady is allergic to wheat and eggs. They have only 3 calories per treat. Now I make a mix of his kibble plus cookies he can eat broken up into kibble-sized pieces.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Zuke's minis are the only training treat that I don't cut up. The rest of them I cut up into tiny bits. I usually cut up a bunch of different treats at one time and then store them in a tupperware container. That way I can grab a handful of pre-mixed, pre-cut treats. If I'm doing chicken or cheese, I cut them into tiny bits and keep them in a zip-loc in the fridge.

·
Registered
329 Posts
for heeling, the key is soft...the majority of competitive obedience people i know use string cheese, party sausages, chicken, etc. cut up.

I've used bil-jac, puperonis, and natural balance rolls all cut up... it doesn't really matter as long as it is small and soft.

·
Debbie
644 Posts
I buy Wellness Puppy treats and quarter them. They're soft and easy to cut. Hank loves them.
We use the Wellness treats also, both puppy and the regular ones. We cut them up very small. I cut the puppy ones in about 6 pieces and the bigger ones in 9.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Timber's usual training treats are chicken weiners, his kibble, mozza cheese strings.
When we are learning something new, I use "high end" treats that I know he will do anything for - chicken, pieces of beef - and they aren't very big pieces!!! They don't have to be.

I also bake canned dog food for a "high end treat". I just slice the dog food in pieces about 1/4" thick and bake it either in the oven or on the BBQ.
FYI, I have 2 separate baking sheets that are used for nothing else :yuck:

I buy a good quality canned dog food like Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul or Wellness brand.
Word of advice though - I baked the Wellness Whitefish and Sweet Potato and my house smelled like fish for 3 days!!! :doh:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I use dried beef lung. sounds kinda gross, but since Chloe does not have a high food drive, I had to try a bunch of stuff before I found anything that she would work for. I also sometimes cook up a poached chicken breast for her, when we are working the "important stuff" like "instant recall" and down-stay for extended periods of time.

hope this helps.

L.

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
we use nuggets, they like them as treats as well. Our trainer used microwaved hotdog chips. She cut thin slices and nuked them...they become crips discs. DOgs love them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Some type of turkey hot dogs or chicken hot dogs would be great. They're soft so your pup doesn't have to focus on chewing all that much and can just focus on what you and the commands. I've tried hard crunchy treats and they just create to much of a hassle for Cody to chew and then he gets choked on them when I ask him to speak.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts