Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is getting ridiculous. I started training 15 week Finn with a trainer last week, and while he was here, I had the labs locked up in the bedroom- (We have tons on snow on the ground and it's usually about 20 degrees, so outside, is pretty much out for now-) Well, the labs have figured out that Finn is doing things that are getting him treats- so now everyone is wanting to get in on the action. You'de think this was a good thing, but having the labs anywhere near Finn causes him to totally lose focus and it becomes a free for all. You'de think they'de never had a cheerio in their lives!

I did try and go back to locking up the labs, but then they decided to bark and whine- again causing Finn to lose focus. What I've tried to do is just many many repetitions of the basics, one at a time- everyone does the sit, down, stand, they get one cheerios and we don't do it again for awhile- The labs are hideous food hounds!

Is 15 weeks too young to insist on focus even with the labs being obnoxious? I've never encountered this problem before, I guess because I've been smart enough to get new pups in the spring and summer! I know things will get better as spring approaches, but Finn needs to get some training on! He's becoming quite full of himself-

NOTE: It doesn't take much for me to whine about the weather, but this winter is kicking my butt!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
How about taking Finn to a local petstore and work on his training there? I did that with Danny when I was working on his leave it command. I couldn't really toss a treat down and tell him to leave it without the other dogs rushing in to eat them! LOL

It really worked well.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Maybe putting the labs somewhere with quiet music, or crated with a cover, and give them stuffed kongs or such? Do you have someone who can be playing with them or cuddling?

Most puppies I've worked with can definitely focus while other dogs are being annoying... but we work up to it gradually and maintain from day 1 in the home that "distracting things means look at me for super yummy treats!"

But I do feel your pain... my current project is teaching everyone to station while one dog is being worked.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I trained my Shelley since 14 weeks old when i got her around other dogs distractions etc. I also trained without using food rewards. I was lucky i have pretty good dogs that are willing to please and learn. There are times my dogs break a command if they do i take them back to where they were and tell them the command again. They will only break the command once i guess testing to see if they can get away with it.

What you could also try that might work is get your labs in the same command you want the puppy in, Once there in the position get puppy in the same position then reward all. This will only work if your labs are good with there commands. Or if you want to work one on one get some kongs fill it up with treats for the labs so they have something to do while locked in the other room.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
I'm helping my brother train his dog and I'm using the opportunity to train Ranger to focus. I know it's a different situation since there's a person to each dog but I found it's been really helping Ranger. He hated watching his buddy walk away from him the first few times and they'd distract each other from their stays. They've both gotten so much better and I've noticed after we have a combined obedience session, both dogs are much more tired than when they're by themselves.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts