1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
My resolution for Conner was to actually train utility with him regularly instead of just take him to shows and matches and expect him to do it. But so far this year I haven't been able to walk outside without sinking in mud so we haven't gotten much of that training done. We've done what we can inside though....pivots, articles, fronts and finishes, close-up signals, etc. But I don't know the last time he's done a go out, directed jumping, full distance signals, or heeling. Since we have a trial in a week and a half I guess we better fit some training in somewhere. I've been much better about Flip's training since he's at a point where most of his learning can still fit in the house.Sure wish I had a building I could train in!

·
Premium Member
Lush, Mystic, Hiphop, Dreamer, Sayer, Fable, Magic, Chelsea, Chapin, Cambridge, and Velvet
16,453 Posts
Goals for the year

Tally: CDX, RAE (Thursday night training group at FinishForward Dogs, and work with him 5 days a week; go to six private lessons with Leslie Nelson in Manchester CT). Do not compromise on positive training methods. . . Finish up JH.

Finny CDX Tuesday Night training group at FinishForward. Take clinic with Celeste Meade. Work with Finn 4 days a week.

Copley: Can CH, CGC: Puppy K this month at Tree Frog Farm plus 12 handling classes with Penny Cary. Work with Copley 3 ten minute sessions every day.

·
Inactive
11,326 Posts
Stephanie, I love that you hammered home the idea that it's easier, more productive, and more fun to train a dog to do something than to extinguish a problem behavior, and the examples you used illustrated the point perfectly.

My resolution for the dogs is to spend 1+ hour in the woods at least three times a week and to have both dogs in a class at least one night a week in addition to Saturday training with Sunrise, Faelan, Casey, and Towhee.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Stephanie, I love that you hammered home the idea that it's easier, more productive, and more fun to train a dog to do something than to extinguish a problem behavior, and the examples you used illustrated the point perfectly.
I love this, too.

My resolutions for Riley:
- Continue to build on our successes when it comes to handling his feet.
- Help him overcome his fear of big dogs.
- Come up with new games and new activities to challenge his mind.

Resolution for Gunner:
- Come up with some new exercise and play routines that don't feed his ball obsession and prey drive.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Lexi....
Novice Dock Dog Title and to close the fridge door - we are still struggling with her walking behind the door to close it ....

Liberty....
Even though jumping is out for my dear girl...I would like to really get serious on teaching articles.
Would also like to teach her a sustained 10 second touch her paw to my foot....
Would be great fun to attend a freestyle seminar with her

Tracer...
CD from Maine shows -
Teach Tracer to touch my foot, my knee and my elbow ...
Polish his lights/on/off (he needs some distance and distraction work)
Owner-handle Trace in a Maine show ;-)

Go participate in a CCA with Liberty and Tracer

Attend a tracking class...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts