Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am debating what step I should take with Lucky in regards to classes/personal trainer. When we got Lucky he had no training whatsoever. He was potty trained and that was it. We have had him about 4 months now. He is a pretty good dog but still not very behaved. He chooses when to listen to certain commands such as leave it and drop it. He has "sit", "lay" and "wait" down perfectly. But my main complaint is his excessive nipping. He still play bites. His new thing is trying to pull all our socks off our feets when we are sitting down. Also he jumps on company and can just not settle down. I use every opportunity when people come over to train him and try to get him to settle which helps.

So that is the background. The debate is this: The place I was taking Luck for classes does not have another class until March, BUT I can not take the class she has on that day (the other classes she has is puppy classes etc.). I found another place but their next class will not start until March. (I guess because of holidays?). So, do you think I should call in one of the trainers for personal 1-1 training once or twice? OR am I expecting too much from him too soon? And it takes time and he will eventually get there with my efforts and group classes.

He really is getting better. I guess this is all coming from my bf's family asking me to kennel Luck up because they have young ones and they are afraid of him jumping. (although he has never jumped on a little one, just runs too fast around them and licks their faces).

Thanks for any advice.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I would call in a personal trainer for a couple of sessions. A good trainer can pick up small things that you may not realize that you are doing incorrectly. I'm sure you could set it up with sessions once a month or so and the trainer could give you things to work on between sessions.

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
In the meantime, have him on leash when the little ones are over, and work on him laying down to visit the kids. Take him for a long run before they arrive so he's tired out, let him visit on leash, and if he gets restless have a bone/kong ready for him to go into a crate or another room to chill out.

Lana

1 - 3 of 3 Posts