Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know any puppy training classes close to my house and ones i know of are pretty far away so i cant go. i am training Yuki at home and so far its turned out well and he is still learning. he is 4 months old and responds to the following commands:

1. sit--he sits on command, no treat needed but expects lots of petting/praise.

2. sit/stay--he stays in one spot, i walk away, he stay where he is until i return back. i give him treats for this and also lot of petting/praise.

3. stop--he stops what he is doing and looks up. sometimes barks in response after he stops. i am still working on this.

4. off--i use this to get him off the couch, off the people he jumped on or off the dining table when we are having meals or off the stuffed toy he is humping. he is still learning this one.

5. lie down/down--he isnt getting anywhere with this yet. try to get him to lie down.

6. go--he goes to the spot where i throw the treat and stays there for a minute.

7. fetch--he fetches anything i throw and brings it back to me. no treats, lots of petting and praise needed. if i give treat he doesnt fetch.

8. catch--catches the treat in his mouth. not using anything else for this except treats.

9. stand--he doesnt follow this either. currently working on this.

10. give--he drops anything he has in his mouth onto my hand. usually its a toy or footwear or ball or anything he has picked up. sometimes he growls but eventually drops it in my hand.

11. up--he stands on his hind legs. i use treats.

12. come/recall--i only need to call his name and he comes running. i either give him treats or lots of petting and praise.

13. jump--he jumps on this command but sometimes doesnt.

14. turn--i am currently working on this.

15. bye bye--i use this to let him know i will be gone for a while and he usually turns around and walks away towards his crate or couch to take a nap.

i am wondering how well i am doing with Yuki. he is well behaved and obedient. :D also has his puppy times of play-biting and messing around without listening to anything i say. but when its training time, he is on full alert and ready for anything i throw at him. we do training together for 10 mins 3 times per day. he gets his puppy-play time of 30 mins 3 times daily. 3 times of 1 hr exercise, running, fetching, jumping and walking. the rest of the time he is playing by himself or napping or following me around as i do my work.

am i doing it right? :confused:

also can anyone recommend me some good books on dog training (i will buy them from amazon.com) :( i went to the 2 bookstores near my home and there werent any good choices to buy.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Reactions: Yuki

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks libertyME. :) that one looks like a good book. guess i will buy it. kikopup has some good useful vids too thanks again.

·
Premium Member
18,421 Posts
I think you are doing great! Yuki knows a lot of commands already and he will learn the other ones you are still working on. It does sound like teaching him tricks will be fun and easy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts