Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
21,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to rely on you guys this coming week! I'm going to be gone from Oct. 6-11, so nothing will get done. I will have computer access, but no access to my dogs!
So here's mine---
Saturday---nothing (working all day)
Sunday---nothing (working all day)
Monday---nothing (working most of the day, and Toby has vet appointment)
Tuesday---hoping to run some LONG singles in light cover, as per Dan's instructions
Wednesday---Dan's, also agility private lesson
Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday---out of town

what about everyone else??

Reactions: gdgli

·
Registered
21,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh one bit of good news, the farmer *promised* me that they will cut back the alfalfa fields this coming Monday or Tuesday, so by the time I get back I should be able to work here on my property again. That makes a huge difference for me, because if I have a free hour and I can work here, I can make use of the hour. If I have to drive somewhere, an hour isn't nearly enough time. Well you guys know how it is, I don't have to tell you!

·
where the tails wag
13,359 Posts
I will be concentrating on obedience & agility for a while; probably not going to the Hunt Test tomorrow and Faelan was one revved dog today for agility :) I am thinking the hunt training is training him to use his nose - it went places it has never gone before today (like really, sand bags????? - he even sniffed a butt!! )

·
Riot's mom
632 Posts
I have to rely on you guys this coming week! I'm going to be gone from Oct. 6-11, so nothing will get done. I will have computer access, but no access to my dogs!
So here's mine---
Saturday---nothing (working all day)
Sunday---nothing (working all day)
Monday---nothing (working most of the day, and Toby has vet appointment)
Tuesday---hoping to run some LONG singles in light cover, as per Dan's instructions
Wednesday---Dan's, also agility private lesson
Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday---out of town

what about everyone else??

Man! Looks like a good vacation coming up for you and Tito :p: Just pickin'.

Tomorrow, Riot and I are FINALLY meeting up with the pro I met on RTF. And he said he has pigeons, so Riot will finally be getting a real introduction to birds. I'm thinking that it will mostly be a "getting to know you" type thing, so he can see where I am with Ri and we can figure out where we are going. And I will help him with whatever he needs with his dogs as well.

Monday: casting work, long hike
Tuesday: casting, marks if my hubby is not working all day
Wednesday: maybe a little drill work, or off
Thursday: Obedience! I have to at least get him going on heeling some more...
Friday: off (class all day)
Saturday: maybe training with the pro?

And then only one more week until fall break!!! I have October 14th to 23 off! Super excited. Counting down already.

·
Registered
21,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am in SERIOUS need of a day off! I work 7 days a week, every week. The last full day off that I had was in mid-June.
Can't wait to hear how Riot did with the pro and the birds!

Man! Looks like a good vacation coming up for you and Tito :p: Just pickin'.

Tomorrow, Riot and I are FINALLY meeting up with the pro I met on RTF. And he said he has pigeons, so Riot will finally be getting a real introduction to birds. I'm thinking that it will mostly be a "getting to know you" type thing, so he can see where I am with Ri and we can figure out where we are going. And I will help him with whatever he needs with his dogs as well.

Monday: casting work, long hike
Tuesday: casting, marks if my hubby is not working all day
Wednesday: maybe a little drill work, or off
Thursday: Obedience! I have to at least get him going on heeling some more...
Friday: off (class all day)
Saturday: maybe training with the pro?

And then only one more week until fall break!!! I have October 14th to 23 off! Super excited. Counting down already.

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
My plan this week is to get back on track in many ways.

I have found an obedience trainer :woot2: and I go a week from Wed for a lesson. I plan to get both Teddi and Gabby at least thinking about obedience again this week.

Had a great private lesson in agility yesterday, and another this coming Sat, so I have some home work I want to get done with agility. Classes are Monday and Tuesday, so I hope maybe Wed to do some of those exercises concentrated. I have some daily behavior things, go outs, and core muscle work I can do.

I also plan to try to alternate daily doing some casting and force to pile work. Thursday is training day. So today through Wednesday I plan to do that.

No I don't have a schedule, my goal is to spend the AM working on the job hunt and housework, then the dogs. If I don't get to Quinn then hubby will just have to get his own dog out. I will try to do some casting and force work because I will take her to training next Thursday and Darrin will want to see our home work. That may be all I do with her.

·
where the tails wag
13,359 Posts
I am in SERIOUS need of a day off! I work 7 days a week, every week. The last full day off that I had was in mid-June.
Enjoy your days off :)

·
Super Moderator
3,884 Posts
I have been working obedience drills. I bought jumps from my obedience trainer and will be setting them up in my yard to get some practice.

I also will continue with my basic yard training drills.

·
Riot's mom
632 Posts
Wow! That's a lot of working. You're right, you do need a vacation. Feel free to take many days off :)

So Riot and I met up with the pro today and did some training. Dave seemed to really like him. :D We got him going on some holding and Ri did great! Took him about three times to get the idea. He's a fast learner. Dave said he thinks it should only take about a week to FF him. Riot had no issue at all with gun shot, and they were even shooting a shotgun about 50 yards out. He picked up the "look where the shot sound is coming from" idea instantly. He is very birdy but he had never really had a bird in his mouth. So he was a bit unsure of picking it up. But he didn't try to eat it, and he didn't roll on it, so I think it was a win :)

The best part of the whole morning.... We did two consecutive singles with pigeons. Riot stepped on BOTH BIRDS! I mean, he just nailed them! He did better than about 75% of Dave's dogs. Of course, once he got to them, he didn't really know what to do with the birds, but thats ok. He just needs more exposure. So proud of my boy! He showed them how the "fuzzies" do it. We also work on his steadiness, which I really haven't done much of. He honored a lot of the dogs, just to get him used to not moving and so that he would figure out not every bird is his. But he sure wanted all of them!

Dave said that we are probably ready for JH right now, once we get him retrieving birds instead of just bumpers. But I don't feel like he is where I want him to be. I want him much more steady with more exposure to fetching all kinds of birds. And more water work. But its good to know that I have a dog that has the potential to do well. Just have to make sure I don't mess him up...

·
Registered
21,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds awesome Marie!! Another fluffy showing what we can do in the field! Go Riot!

·
where the tails wag
13,359 Posts
Grins - I have had a great day so far. Haven't cleaned my house yet but both obedience and agility have been worked.

Warning to people who take snarky dogs to public parks - do not be surprised when someone comes along and thinks your dog is a perfect distraction for heeling her dogs LOL Or at least don't sit with snarky dog right by the field entrance - and of course my reaction is, what a great way to work attention. Stay 15 feet away so my dogs are safe and voila!

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Yesterday had a great training session with Tag and Dooley. Did a novice run through with Doo and he would have passed with a fairly nice score. I told everyone I am getting him ready for the 2016 National!

With Tag I am working on attention and sits/stays and basic heel work.

Today I ran a couple simple doubles with Dooley working on gdgli's hold drills and steadiness. Tag was awful. He wouldn't pick his nose off the ground (we worked out in the pasture for the first time in a while-the neighbors darned goat got into our field, and they just came and got him today). So, I need to go back to simple marks in non-goated fields. Breeze was so cute! I think she is so glad to not be in solitary confinement. I did some simple marks with work on steadiness and heel position (she is a show girl and likes to prance around with her treasure). Then we went to work on the agility jumps. I don't want to get to involved until I am able to watch a couple DVDs.

The rest of this week, we will work on marks across the street in just cut and baled alfalfa field. Then work on agility jumps and obedience.

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
We will be working on Breeze planting her butt and remaining beside me until the hand goes in and her name is called on memory birds so there will be no opportunity for judges to have to make a call as to recast or confusion!!!

·
Registered
21,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shelly, I've been having a problem with Tito going on "where...." (as in, where is it??). Now "where" sounds nothing, NOTHING, like "Tito".
Go figure.

Reactions: Sunrise

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Shelly, I've been having a problem with Tito going on "where...." (as in, where is it??). Now "where" sounds nothing, NOTHING, like "Tito".
Go figure.
Now how do you know Where doesn't sound like Tito....In dog language! In dogs it may be like which and witch! Where's my English/Canine dictionary....

Reactions: hotel4dogs

·
Registered
21,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"Where" doesn't even sound like any of his nicknames (butthead, bonehead, monster boy) so he can't even give me that excuse! The funny thing is, it's the ONLY word he goes on. We proof him on it all the time, he doesn't go on "dog", or any number, or pretty much anything else. Only "where".
Go figure.

Now how do you know Where doesn't sound like Tito....In dog language! In dogs it may be like which and witch! Where's my English/Canine dictionary....

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Scout will go sometimes if I say dead bird on our PB. She knows where it is and she wants it now!

I am hoping to get our tomorrow to set up our new PB. We'll be running land blinds soon I hope and all through the winter. Come spring, she'll have that land handling experience and we can play in water and finish the JH. Of course, Scout *really* wants to field training tonight. Little stinker saw me plug in her collar to charge it and when I wasn't looking stole it--TWICE.

Tonight though we are headed to the building to work on obedience. I am excited and nervous at the same time. I feel like she could be really great, but I also feel like something could throw her off which is partly why I waited so long to enter her. I can't make myself wait any longer though--so ready to move on. And I have to remind myself even a year ago she was doing really well at matches (190s with handling errors knocking a lot of those points).

And conformation....lol don't want to think about it. I probably should do some practicing...I am terrified of being in such a large class with undoubtedly lots of handler. I need some positive mojo over here!

·
Grumpy Old Man
4,535 Posts
Pheasant season opens here in a week and a half. So we've put the training ducks away and got out the pheasants for a final tune up in the field so the dogs can open the season with their "A" game.

Angel was a little rusty, but it's getting there.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Looking good! What a good girl Angel!

Reactions: hotel4dogs

·
Registered
21,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Lisa, I'll be thinking of you and Scout and sending tons of positive mojo your way!
Swampcollie, Angel is looking great!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts