Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm a day early, but I have a crazy schedule tomorrow and was afraid I wouldn't get to this.

What's everyone working on/trialing/showing in this week? In an effort to keep everyone happy, please post hunt/field plans in the hunt/field thread, all others here.

We have agility trials tomorrow and Sunday, and an agility private lesson on Wednesday. I'm sure we'll be working on weave entries at the private lesson!

Reactions: sammydog

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
Good luck at the trials - I'm sure Tito will do great :)

I have ring rentals, a ring prep work shop, a scent article workshop, an agility class etc coming up, possibly an obedience drop in.

Reactions: hotel4dogs

·
Casey and Samson's Mom
221 Posts
We are getting ready for a trial the weekend of February 11/12. Sam is in novice for the first time (!) and Casey is doing open and utility. This week we have: 3 fun matches (Sat/Sun/Friday)classes on Tuesday and Thursday and a training hall rented Wednesday. I also do quick stuff in the morning with them before I go to work (yes, alas, I work full time too).

·
Kate
21,665 Posts
Good luck at the trial Barb! :)

And good luck to Ann (Max's Mom) who is going for an RN with both her girls (I think?).

And to everyone else who is showing. :)

I'm planning on going out to the show tomorrow, but it does depend on the road situation. I'm hoping the later I leave, the more chance the salt trucks have gone through...

The rest is training!

Lots of Dumbbells - lots of holds and trying different things to fix the pouncing (per the dumbbell thread).

·
Registered
134 Posts
We got snowed out of our trial this weekend :( 8 inches of snow on top of 5 that we got earlier this week.... ya, I was not going to attempt the 4 hr drive to get there

I love this thread idea but I am getting SO jealous hearing about all the fun dog activities/classes everyone is taking. Boo...I need to move to a larger city!

Anyway, the plans for this week are getting as much done inside as possible. It is SOO very cold outside that it hurts my pup's feet. No way to train in that. We've got things to work on like fronts, finishes, mini go outs, signals, attention games, etc.

I "broke" our right finish this week. I decided to work on "motivation" and race away as Indy moved behind me. This way, he would have to hurry to catch up to heel position. I did this twice... and now my around cue means racebehindmomveryfast,runoutinfrontofher,and spinaroundlookingpuzzled! Oy!

We've got agility this Wednesday, where we are working on running longer courses w/o stressing out. If I make a handling mistake, Indy gets mad and barks at me, repeatedly. He gets quite caught up in this arguement so we are 1) fixing my handling and 2) learning other ways to cope with stress besides yelling at mom. He'll grow up someday!

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
One of the things I am working on (snowed in as well) is starting my search for Ms Towhee's scent articles. I thought the fit on her current dumbbell looked good but the lady I am working with for the articles thought it looked tight. She seems to pick them up no problems, there is no mouthing or rolling, but her upper lips are pushed upward but that also happens with a bit that is an inch longer - which also rolls way back etc.
The scent article has a 2 1/2 inch bell while the dumbbell has a 2 1/4 inch bell which I actually like better for her - well I know the articles would not have the angling but the bells don't seem to be in her line of sight.

Anyway, opinions?

Attachments

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
I think her dumbell looks like it fits great!!

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think she's just adorable, dumbell, article, or nothing in her mouth!!

Reactions: Sunrise

·
Kate
21,665 Posts
I don't think it looks too tight... :confused:

Her lips are pushed up, but that happens with my guy when I use his great too-big dumbbell. o_O

I kept Jacks out of the ring - but had a BALL watching a lot of people. Somebody with a little gorgeous golden had two pieces of good news. And her dog is absolutely adorable. :)

I also got to watch somebody else's leggy brown and white little girl get a CH. :)

I did no training at the show, but spent the majority of my time watching Jacks like a hawk while little kids from every direction came running for him. He was in golden retriever heaven. Only thing missing was flying tennis balls.

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
I'll be sending a deposit in this week, so in a few months Ms Towhee will have her show scent articles :) I believe the leathers will be light tan with one Towhee bird design on each side of all 6, with varying Towhee bird designs on the other side. Minimal colors, mostly just like sketching or etching but we still need to finalize this - it will take 6-8 weeks for her to get the articles in from the gent who makes them, then they will be customized.

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts

Can't tell you a thing about dumbells, but oh my gosh she is a pretty girl.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reactions: Sunrise

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The two things that Tito really needs to work on in agility remain the teeter, and the weave poles. He does the teeter fine, but is a bit hesitant at the pivot point and has to be encouraged. And of course, the weave entries, well, we need to keep working and working those.
The one fault he had in yesterday's trial was when he ran toward the teeter instead of the weave poles. He did correct it before he touched the teeter, though. I think it's because he gets so much praise when he does a good teeter that he figured he'd give it a try and see whether there was praise, cookies, or toys coming for doing it!

·
Riot's mom
632 Posts
I'll be sending a deposit in this week, so in a few months Ms Towhee will have her show scent articles :) I believe the leathers will be light tan with one Towhee bird design on each side of all 6, with varying Towhee bird designs on the other side. Minimal colors, mostly just like sketching or etching but we still need to finalize this - it will take 6-8 weeks for her to get the articles in from the gent who makes them, then they will be customized.
That sounds very cool! Where are you getting them done?

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
Barb - weave poles are a forever thing .. they always need to be worked even after 8 or 10 years LOL entries, distance, near, from a tunnel, not taking them when an AFrame touch leaves them staring at the poles etc. The teeter and goldens also needs refreshing periodically I think.

The two things that Tito really needs to work on in agility remain the teeter, and the weave poles. He does the teeter fine, but is a bit hesitant at the pivot point and has to be encouraged. And of course, the weave entries, well, we need to keep working and working those.
The one fault he had in yesterday's trial was when he ran toward the teeter instead of the weave poles. He did correct it before he touched the teeter, though. I think it's because he gets so much praise when he does a good teeter that he figured he'd give it a try and see whether there was praise, cookies, or toys coming for doing it!

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
Pat Scribner will be creating them for me :)

Towhee birds for my Towhee - have to admit, I love it :wave::wave: Even if I forget them someplace they will find their way back.

I am wondering if I can justify (probably not since I have a show set that fits him) getting articles with a wolf design for Faelan ( 'Little Wolf' Faelan - Meaning Of Faelan, What Does Faelan Mean? )

That sounds very cool! Where are you getting them done?

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
Today, I plan to train end behaviors for agility, stays, and that is about it. I spent 85 min working out this morning though!! Today, my livingroom is taken up by my husband watching tv, and it is freezing drizzle, so that is about all I will get a chance to do. I have been losing interest in obedience training anyway:(

I have an obedience private on Friday morning.

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
We practiced the following at our rental today:

Faelan - heeling, Figure 8, embracing the slow, signals, Go Outs, fronts, retrieves, Directed Jumping, marking
Towhee - heeling, slow, fast, Figure 8, down out of motion, stand, recall, Go Outs, retrieve, Directed Jumping, front, finishes
Casey - heeling, figure 8, slow, stand, signals, Go Outs, retrieves, Directed jumping, recalls, fronts & finishes

For agility we practiced pinwheels, threadles & serpentines.

Towhee made a leap in understanding today. All work was off leash and going from the fast to normal she forged a bit and caught herself (you could practically see the light bulb moment) and back into heel position she came :) Yay Towhee

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
If I make a handling mistake, Indy gets mad and barks at me, repeatedly. He gets quite caught up in this arguement so we are 1) fixing my handling and 2) learning other ways to cope with stress besides yelling at mom. He'll grow up someday!
Barley never grew out of this! :p: I still get a good yelling at when I mess him up, and at the startline and on the table...

Have fun with your agility!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts