Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's going on everyone?

We have our agility private lesson on Wednesday. Other than that, just concentrating on field now.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Going to Houston for a match tomorrow. Third time to go to Houston since last Sunday.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Oh my goodness, they are PRECIOUS!!!! Congratulations!!!

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Well, if it's not one thing, it's ten. Dooley has kennel cough. He has had his vaccination so it shouldn't be too bad. Right now it's just a periodic terrible sounding cough. I hope the others don't come down with it, holding my breath.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Sunday: Heading to public area for attention training. Then bath time today!

Monday: Directed jumping, dumbell work.

Tuesday: Heeling to music, work on keeping bum in, signals with play.

Wed: Figure 8s, dumbell, broadjump.

Thursday: Go outs, heeling, retrieve over high jump.

Fri: Attention at home with distractions, signals

Sat. Play day with dogs
No private lesson this week. Watching training DVDs my instructor gave me this week.
Wakemup, the puppies are precious!!!!!

·
Kate
20,436 Posts
Aw... look at all the little waggy tails. :)

This week will be weird... no class. Too cold to work outside. :(

I'm thinking about driving out for open floor this week (Weds). Mainly to work on stays. But also I get to work on a lot of full length stuff I can't at home. If I'm the only person there, I may take a camera with.

I need to sit down and fill out entries. I think I may fill out "throw away" entries for next month since Rally is on Friday only (I can't take off from work because of summer vacation coming up) and Jacks' stays are not ready for novice. I do want to get him out though.

·
Registered
20,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
infestation, LOLOL. They are adorable. I can almost smell the puppy breath!
Laura, that sucks about Dooley. Where in the world did he pick THAT up?

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Laura, that sucks about Dooley. Where in the world did he pick THAT up?
I do not know. My guess is it was at the training hall and has just manifested itself. I am hoping that it is only KC, as it came on very suddenly and he isn't showing any other signs of bad stuff. I am keeping him quiet though and not letting him rough house too much with Tag.

If it continues too long I'll take him in just as a precaution. It is such a pain in the you know what!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Went to a match today and I was very very happy with Flip's open work. Happy enough that I am ready to start looking at some trials.

Most importantly was the stays since that is without a doubt our biggest problem area. I even entered him in novice in the match just so we could get more stay practice in. In novice he was next to a Vizla who kept leaning over and trying to sniff Flip. In the past, that would have been an invitation for Flip to run over and start licking on the dog. But he was an EXCELLENT boy and turned his head away from dog and wouldn't look at him.

This facility has the most brilliant thing every - a room with a one way mirror so you can watch the dogs during open stays. Flip was very very good again. The dogs were lined up along a gate that was shared with the utility ring, and there was a wild Chessie doing utility in there, running right along the same ring gate for his articles (and doing a whine/scream while going out) and all Flip did was turn his head to see what the commotion was. He was put very close to another golden and all he did towards the other golden was give a quick glance and then looked away the rest of the time.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
and there was a wild Chessie doing utility in there, running right along the same ring gate for his articles (and doing a whine/scream while going out) and all Flip did was turn his head to see what the commotion was.
I may know who that Chessie belongs too :wave: She and I have been talking about articles and sharing our experience with the Round the Clock method. Unless, that is, there are more than one Utility Chessies in the Houston area.

I am so glad Flip did well on his stays. Other than the ol' :crossfing (kinda looks like the snip hand gesture) what did you do to help. Did the milk jug thing work like you were hoping it would?

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I may know who that Chessie belongs too :wave: She and I have been talking about articles and sharing our experience with the Round the Clock method. Unless, that is, there are more than one Utility Chessies in the Houston area.

I am so glad Flip did well on his stays. Other than the ol' :crossfing (kinda looks like the snip hand gesture) what did you do to help. Did the milk jug thing work like you were hoping it would?
Yep that's Penny! She told me today she knew you.

With Flip I recently upped the level of correction he is receiving and it seems to have more staying power for him. What I was doing would make him behave right then, but didn't have much carry over. I am not at all used to working such a tough dog.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I just ordered one of those Fitpaws discs. I'm thinking of making Jonah do his sit stays on the disc. He gets a workout and does his sit stays too!

·
Kate
20,436 Posts
Random question for people, and this is something I've been thinking about since we were at a place (on Saturday) where there simply was not any room to warm up your dog before going into the ring.

I tried to warm up Jacks, but it seemed to just make both of us stressed because we'd have a clear space and start moving around and smack weaving around other people trying to jump into the same space with their dogs. *frustrating*

There was even one dog that snarled at Jacks when we were walking past them, which couldn't have helped matters for him and it made me even more anxious about keeping a mythical bubble around us.

What I was vaguely thinking about if I run into a situation like that again is keeping him in one place and in "down time" right up to the moment we are about ready to go into the ring, and just doing watches for the 30 seconds it takes for the other person to leave the ring and the judge to come over and call my number.

This is not what I would do in fun matches (which are never that armpit to armpit crowded), so I have no idea if it would help. But it seemed like trying to warm him up was really not working.

What would you do in a similar situation? o_o

*** I should say he did fine in the ring. It was so stressful OUTSIDE the ring, that the ring itself felt wonderfully wide open and menacing-dog-free. I checked our scores this morning too, and other than my big 10 point mistake in direction (I circled right instead of left), we apparently got two points off for I don't know what. I reminder-tugged his leash when I got into the ring before I removed it, maybe the judge caught that? o_O

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I'd go outside to do a warmup.

·
Kate
20,436 Posts
I'd go outside to do a warmup.
I did that.... on our way to the one tiny snow covered spot of the parking lot and back to the building. My country boy doesn't know how to go potty if there is no grass, trees, bushes to target. :p:

I guess I didn't consider that an actual warm up since I "lost" him again when we reentered the beehive.

Do you try maintaining focus and attention between the warmup and the ring?

·
Registered
20,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There are 2 reasons for a warm-up, one physical and one mental. Especially if you are showing in Open B or Utility B, where the jumps might come first, you want to move him around a little bit and get his muscles warmed up and loose. For that, I would be sure to take him outside and play with him a little, do some stretches, etc. If you are only showing in novice, it probably doesn't matter.
Then there's the mental warm-up. That seems to really just depend on the dog. For Tito, less is more. I just heeled to the ring with him. Some dogs need more, some need none.

·
Kate
20,436 Posts
There are 2 reasons for a warm-up, one physical and one mental. Especially if you are showing in Open B or Utility B, where the jumps might come first, you want to move him around a little bit and get his muscles warmed up and loose. For that, I would be sure to take him outside and play with him a little, do some stretches, etc. If you are only showing in novice, it probably doesn't matter.
It was only 16" (which is technically a warmup jump), but that was the second thing we did right as we got into the ring.

Not the same as Open or Utility... :)

This is probably a different topic...

But could you set up a jump outside if you are showing in open? Or how do you do stretches?

When we were sitting down and watching, we were right next to the Open Ring, and I did see a few dogs veer around the jump with the dumbbell. I felt like sinking into the floor when I saw that, because I could see Jacks making that mental mistake without us doing warm up jumps somehow to remind him.

*** warming up, I mainly pace back and forth and make sure he's moving with me and is relaxed. Then we do a few scoot sits and then line up by the entrance to go into the ring. I'm not talking about anything major.

·
Registered
20,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
no, you absolutely cannot set up a jump of any sort nor do any "training" on the grounds. BIG no-no.
I do stretches with Tito by having him walk sideways to the right about 20 paces, then to the left about 20 paces (he is moving totally sideways), then back up about 20 paces. Do that several times. Then I hold a treat by his left flank, and have him twist his head to get it, then to the right, then down by his chest. Do it several times. Then you can have him "spin" around you in each direction, or just "spin" in front of you in a figure 8. I also encourage him to jump up and put his paws on my shoulders a couple of times (he's not allowed to otherwise).
All of those things loosen up their muscles and help prevent injuries. Very important, and sadly so often overlooked.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts