Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay you people with decent weather, what's going on this week??

We actually have a pretty busy week this coming week.

Saturday (today)---tower shoot at Dan's!!!
Sunday and Monday---off (Tito will no doubt need to recover, LOL)
Tuesday---drop in obedience training in a.m., 1/2 hour agility private lesson in p.m.
Wednesday---weather permitting, my training partner is coming out to run a few land singles/doubles (the weather is a BIG "if" at this point)
Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday---obedience shows

What about everyone else??

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
Have fun and Good luck !!!!!

Reactions: hotel4dogs

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Today we are going to obedience group practice.

Tomorrow we are doing a confusion marking drill. Should be interesting.

Tuesday I am meeting up with a friend to work more on blind transitions. We are not doing this in the large group with everyone yet until things are running really smooth. At least one person in my group was skeptical about Scout running blinds when I told him she would be soon. He doesn't know how much work I put in the last year between piles, double t, walking baseball, five-handed casting, PB etc. His dog has failed multiple SH tests and has popping and no-go problems. My friend who is guiding me passed 4/6 for her title and has trained with many pros and her method makes sense to me. I trust her!

As we have time throughout the week we'll make impromptu trips to the park and review 5-handed casting. It has been awhile. Running PB all summer she's been running pretty darn straight like we wanted so no handling.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Scout should do great! You all have put in so much work, you should be proud! I can't wait until we visit your area, maybe we could train together a couple days.

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Hoping to get out and scout the fields a bit for a spot to go goose hunting. Lots of Canada's moving about right now so would be nice to get a couple in the freezer.

Then we have a real 180 for Saturday--Butch is in a show. It is my club's booster and Christmas social, so he get to play pretty pony.:p:

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
This weekend is heavy on advanced obedience for me.

A private sessions yesterday with all 3 dogs (the push is on to figure out how to relieve Casey's stress since as Cheryl, my instructor, says, he is just too darn good not to earn his CDX and UD. We started introducing some stressors in ways he could overcome them.

We worked on my halts for Faelan, started putting the moving stand pieces together, maintaining his focus on me for signals, distractions on signals etc. She could not find fault with his Figure 8, left/right/about turns, fast (and that is saying something LOL) . We also worked on his slow.

With Towhee, we worked left/right/about turns, slow normal and fast - she adored Towhee and merely pointed out that now I have hundreds of hours and thousands of miles of practicing ahead. We started her official moving down and worked the retrieve getting my supporting hand under her chin out of the picture. She had a PERFECT fit dumbbell that I will be ordering (Max 200 7x6). I need to work with the chutes in many places since she seemed confused to see them inside Cheryl's barn.

Towhee is progressing on her send aways, broad jump and high jump. Her first and 2nd fronts are normally excellent, but the 4 front exercises show she needs work with perseverance.

Last night was a rental with a friend, and we worked serious distractions with the stays, loud noises and music (Faelan especially), toys, heeling, halting, send aways, recalls, finishes, hand signals, drops etc.

Today, while Casey and Faelan went for a hike with my brother, I took Faelan to the local(ish) Health Food/Natural Food store and when I was done shopping we worked in the parking lot; heeling,halts, slows, turns, signals, recalls, playing tug. As well as him being patient while people stopped to chat and compliment 1) his beauty and 2) his training and 3) my lack of corrections - one lady mentioned a fairly local training facility which will not even allow yelling at your dog; second time you are out. I hesitate to believe this entirely though .. some behaviors need to be disciplined in some way.

I may be going to a heeling, pivot and turns workshop in a bit - I have not decided since I have a cold, and am coughing. I find it very annoying when someone goes to a class coughing and/or sneezing so while I am not so bad right now, I am hesitant to annoy the other participants with my cold.

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
We did a two gunner organized confusion drill today as seen on Lardy's site. Buckets of bumpers were left at each throw station which proved to be a challenging point for all of the dogs when the last and furthest bumper was thrown. Many had trouble pushing back farther than the last mark and beyond the big white bucket.

Our second set-up was a delayed triple with a blind down the middle for the advanced dogs. It was a double for intermediate, and the beginners in our group just got short singles. I wasn't going to try the delayed triple yet, and since Scout ran a double earlier in the week I chose to run singles. I also practiced sending remotely for these for our first time. She did fine but the first time wanted to turn and look at where I was rather than lock on the mark.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
I am going to work position exercises with Dooley as well as stationary attention and one step attention.

Tag is doing very well on HOLD, so today I started moving away. While he did drop a couple times, I got good corrections in and by the end of the session, I was able to get several feet away. I will continue working for a little distance, then perhaps by Wednesday, start having him move at my side while holding. I will also start using different hold items, but I have to go get a dowel from the hardware store.

Breeze will contiue to work on two sided heeling, and position exercises. If I can get DH to set up my jumps, the weather has been nice enough, I will start doing some more jumping drills with her.

·
the party's crashing us
4,280 Posts
We have had a flurry of activity in the training department lately. Have been practicing obedience with Slater on days we don't do field. He is getting proficient at heeling, very enthusiastic, keeping his butt in, and we are starting some new things to keep it interesting, bounces in place, nosebridge (what we call "bishop") while heeling, spins while heeling, etc. Will post a video soon.
Anyways, on Thursday the Mid-FL GRC had an informal training day in Williston for participants of the WC/X which was held at the same place on Saturday (yesterday). Usually I have to drive 2+ hours south to attend our field events (and most other club events, near Orlando) so just a half-hour drive is wonderful! Anyways, we had a nice day on Thursday, training with some folks I've not trained with before, all are basically junior level but working on their WC or WCX. Most of the dogs did just fine, most of the handlers need to learn how to set up and send their dogs on marks :)
Saturday was our WC/X, the weather cooperated and was beautiful. The test ran smoothly, we had 6 out of 16 passing the X and I think 5 passing the WC out of 11. Slater passed the WC, despite pretty much hating pigeons, and by the time they did the WC the pigeons were pretty beat up.
One of my golden friends from Miami stayed an extra day and met us today to train. We set up a really nice series, many thanks to the fact that between us we had 5 wingers, and hers were the big ones that really launched the birds. We were on the water, set up a mom-and-pop where the left bird was short and landed behind cover on an island, the right bird was the big launcher that threw it angle back onto the land, so after the dog got out of the water he had to traverse a spread of goose silhouettes and go about 35 yards onto the land. Then you swung all the way back to the left and the go bird shot from the left shore out into the pond, so an angle entry with a lot of muck and cover. Then there was a long shoreline blind under the arc of that mark. I am loath to do mom-and-pop because I think they are lazy, but you see them at tests all the time. Everyone did GREAT -- was very pleased! Fisher was launching into the water on all of his birds -- after getting to do nothing the day before he was ready to go! After we picked up the equipment we put out three blinds that crossed a narrow channel, starting with a square entry, then about a 45º entry, then a very narrow entry down the channel. I squared them up a little big more than that for Slater, but I was very pleased because on the longer/most narrow entry one, he squared the entry, I stopped him in the water (just a narrow channel, probably 15 feet wide), gave and over and he took it and went straight down the channel! Good dog!!
Fisher did just fine on the first two blinds, then jumped in early on the narrow entry blind. I stopped him and called him back, for Fisher this is typically a recipe for freak out time as he hates to be wrong, hates to be nitpicked, tries to take more water which is the wrong answer, basically we have had some battles on angle entries. I was really happy with him, as when he returned to me after being called back, I took his tab, heeled forward about 3 feet in the direction of the blind, very calmly got him lined up and sent, and he took a beautiful correct angle. Whew!
We train again on Tuesday.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Just popping in to say it was 74 degrees here today :wave:

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Just popping in to say it was 74 degrees here today :wave:
That's mean...How' them hurricanes treating you??? High 40's and sunny here, not bad.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Another crazy week for me.

Monday - Gabby has agility class Art will bring her to class for me, I will meet her there. Home about 9:30PM

Tuesday - Gabby has weave class, home by 8PM might get Teddi out.

Wednesday, if it is not raining I will get Belle and Teddi out. I will do some obedience training with Teddi. Gabby will get a fun jaunt. If it is raining, I will go watch Quinn do agility class.

Thursday and/or Friday depending on the weather and if we can get moving FAST when we get home. I would LOVE to get Quinn and Gabby out and throw a few marks, and do some pile/whistle sit work. However the sun sets pretty fast after we get home from work.

I need to get Gabby out and do some obedience practice so the day we don't do field I hope to do obedience. Again depends on the weather.

Supposed to be nice next weekend according to the weather at this point. Saturday sunny high 30 hopefully we will get to Darrin's for field training. Sunday we are scheduled to have an agility private lesson. Just Gabby and Quinn.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Well, we have walking and holding! Tag is doing very well on HOLD, so I used a couple new items and started movement with him holding. I think I will continue to do this for a couple more days, then start force fetch shhhhhhhh. I may need your help, so please forgive me if I ask stupid questions.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A mixed day today.
We went to drop in obedience this morning, and Tito did a great job in terms of doing everything right, but his heart wasn't in it. He was just doing his job, no more. He would have Q'd in both open and utility, but he just sort of slugged thru it.
Then we had agility training this afternoon, our 1/2 hour private lesson. Talk about Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde, he was SILLY SILLY SILLY, running around making up his own courses, doing the teeter over and over, just being a total goof butt.
Goofy dog!

Reactions: DNL2448 and Sunrise

·
Riot's mom
632 Posts
Well, we have walking and holding! Tag is doing very well on HOLD, so I used a couple new items and started movement with him holding. I think I will continue to do this for a couple more days, then start force fetch shhhhhhhh. I may need your help, so please forgive me if I ask stupid questions.
Don't worry, there are no stupid questions! Especially when talking about FF.

How is Tag doing with keeping his nose off the ground?

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Well we went training today. Set up a blind in some very tall grass and just beyond it was a canal of water. Again Scout watched my friend place the bumpers and then I sent her. This time was bad as she ran over the bumpers and straight for the water. My friend yelled at her and she stopped and came back to me. I tried a second time to send her but she wanted to muck around so I called her back and she got put up in the kennel while we ran another dog. If she was going to be a pain she wasn't going to get to play--but instead had to listen and watch another dog run.

So after we ran my friend's older dog Scout was brought out again. She got confused somehow--perhaps from the tall grass plus orange bumpers. My friend was hiding nearby in the tall grass and she veered off to say hi then came back. I had to move up on it a little and send her again before she came upon it. Not sure why she quit and came back...again maybe it was the tall grass and orange bumpers. She has a history of running to a pile of white bumpers on short grass. Anyway, after moving up the one time then backing up for the second send she was fine and found it.

Then we put her up and ran the younger lab. Then Scout came out and did some marks, and ran the blind the last time just fine.

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Don't worry, there are no stupid questions! Especially when talking about FF.

How is Tag doing with keeping his nose off the ground?
Thanks Marie!

I'd say he is doing mostly good, keeping his nose off the ground, but there are still times where the smells just overwhelm him and he forgets what he is doing. The pinch is helping a lot.

·
the party's crashing us
4,280 Posts
Well we went training today. Set up a blind in some very tall grass and just beyond it was a canal of water. Again Scout watched my friend place the bumpers and then I sent her. This time was bad as she ran over the bumpers and straight for the water.......

,,,,tall grass plus orange bumpers.....
Just a couple of comments....
It is poor design to either throw a mark that lands or plant a blind that is located BEFORE water. You are literally teaching the dog to STOP and NOT go in water. Akin to running a mark or blind along the shore but never getting in the water. Yes you may see it in a test -- but it is poor training. We call these contrary blinds (or marks). You never, ever want to tell the dog that if they see water, it's a good idea to stay out of it. In fact we want the opposite. The fact that Scout went in the water is good!!!!!

(About now is when Barb jumps in -- but if the dog is deviating from their path to get in water -- that is one thing -- but if they are going straight to or from a mark or blind and skirt water -- not good)

Now about the orange bumpers in high cover. WHY??????
If it's high cover she will not see white bumpers from a distance. She will however see them if she is on top of them, unlike orange bumpers. It's totally self-defeating to use orange bumpers in high cover with a young dog learning to run blinds. You DON'T want to have a battle at the end of the blind and "box them in" with 50 casts to move the dog 5 feet. In a test you will pick up a bird, which has so much scent it will be like a blinking strobe light to the dog. Use your white bumpers or a stake in high cover. Nothing sucks more than to run a nice blind then completely blow it, shoot the dog's attitude and loose any momentum you may have gained by hacking it out at the end.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts