Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone!
Anyone have time to train this week? (we don't)

Reactions: Sunrise

·
Premium Member
16,435 Posts
This is a week off from teaching pet dog classes.

25th - After family Christmas, work on stacking and gaiting with Copley in the training center for the show coming up. He hasnt been out in 6 months bc teaching classes has taken up all the weekends. We want to win one on our own now that he finally turned 2. Our professional handler makes putting points on look easy, but it is hard. Tally- progress with noseworks scent discrimination. Lush is with her breeder Jenn for January shows. 5 mile hike Rines Forest

26th- Noseworks with Tally, and then run through Open; private handling lesson with Copley an hour away; boarding golden comes(Charlie), so an hour of daily training for him until 1/4/2012. . No obedience lesson with SB today bc of the holidays. 6 mile hike Hadlock Forest

27th Noseworks with Tally and Finn too if there is time. Run through Open with Tally. Keep working on the pointers we get from our handling lesson with Copley. One of our problems is that Cops carries his tail level off his back unless there is a girl in season around. If there is, he raises it a few inches and it looks silly. He will also do this if he is just exceptionally whooped up and proud of himself. If he is warmed up ringside just enough and looks around, he carries his tail well the way he does at home or moving through the fields. It is easy to blow it with too much time ringside(flat) or not enough ( "stud dog tail"). 3 mile loop BlackStrap Preserve

28th: Lab people renting our fields, so maybe get Copley out with them. If he's naughty on the line, he will get marched inside and Tally will come out. Gaiting and stacking with Copley in front of the mirror, push back heeling and other heeling games with Tally. Few minutes on noseworks.

29th: Tally CGC test dog. Copley day off. Noseworks with Finn and Tally so Tally can pass the test. Either beach hike or 5 miles Falmouth Community Forest hike.

30th Take Copley to informal handling drop in session with a cool, funny pro handler and about 14 other dogs of all breeds. It is pandamonium, but we need the chaos. Noseworks with Tally, and heeling games. 4 mile Scarborough hike.

31st day off, except for 5 mile Rines Forest hike and working with Charlie. Tons of time on the grooming table for Copley. Human only party at Jakes!

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
Sunday (Christmas) will work some around the Truck Stop & possibly some yard drills for agility weather permitting. I am currently re-watching the Start to a Better Finish and will probably finish that up. I doubt if I will be using her techniques but wanted to refresh my memory. Family stuff.
ETA: Yeah!! A friend picked up a rental and I can share, so this will be our obedience, I'll probably do obedience at the Truck Stop on Tuesday instead now.

Monday: Field Practice with Faelan
Agility drills in the yard
Obedience Rental in the evening

Tuesday: Probably off
Wednesday: All 3 dogs for Agility practice
Thursday: Weaves, stays & scent articles in the morning, Obedience outside of shopping malls with all 3 after work
Friday: Weaves, stays & scent articles in the morning, Rally drills after work
Saturday: Weather permitting, contacts, weaves and jump drills in the morning,Obedience rental in the evening

I hopefully will have time to figure out how & reskin their AFrame - I bought rubber coated skins awhile ago but they have some weird thingees that I an going to have to rent a tool for - for driving said thingees through the skins into the frames.

Focal points in training:
I will be starting to teach myself to use handler momentum more as a factor for my dogs, which also relies on my trusting them 100% to do their part :) ie; no babysitting those contacts or weaves.

I will also continue practicing my rhythm using a metronome for obedience in the hallways at work during lunch.

For agility, as always the weaves and hitting their entrances at speed. Maintenance for their contacts. More drills on jumping the backside of the jump, but only when cued. I will probably be working a jump grid as well.

I also may be starting to train them in the use of the treadmill, if it comes in :)

For obedience:
Scent articles for Faelan & Casey, retrieve for Ms Towhee
Heeling, front & finishes
Turn & sit game all three
Go Outs, all 3
Directed Jumping, all 3 (Towhee with assistance)
Broad Jump for Towhee
Random drops and drops out of motion
Stand for Towhee, moving stand for Faelan

Reactions: hotel4dogs

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Tracer boy is having some bleed over from tracking indications into what are (should be) retrieves ....so beep-beep-beep we go...

Working on carrying heavier and/or more awkward items on his walks and up/down steps. He is up to half mile with smaller objects of different sizes and weights in multiple locations.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I have plenty of time to train this week since I have another week off work! I just hope I take advantage of it. I have plans to meet with a friend for some training on Tuesday. She has a ton of dogs, both hers and fosters, so I plan on getting in a lot of proofing on stays.

Flip took care of breakfast this morning, he caught himself a rabbit :yuck: I'm told now I need to be on the lookout for worms :mad:

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
I am off work until January 3rd, so I should be able to find time to train:) We will be doing lots of little things, and then go outside(I am hoping it will be atleast 20 degrees out), and work on things like go outs, open, and utility jumping, heeling ect. We will do articles everyday as usual.

Clayton and I have a private on Wednesday:)

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep, about 3 weeks from now start checking for tapeworms. They don't usually show up in a fecal.

Reactions: Loisiana

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Working on hold and casting, beng stead at the line and whoa. I have 8 wks to be ready for this upland test.

Jige is really good at casting so that isnt too much of a concern. I need to get a solid Whoa he is good just not real reliable yet. Like I stated before we have been working very hard at being steady at the line.

I need to get better with the **** whistle. I get so busy watching him I forget to use it. He is very good when I remeber the darn thing.

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
It is an absolutely beautiful 36 degrees here today!!! I went outside, and worked on Go Outs, Directed Jumping, Signals, DOR, ROH, Flat Retrieve, and Directed Retrieve. I need to work on the directed retrieve more as both Rivet and Filly had a thing for glove 3, when they should have gone for glove 2. I plan on doing heeling, articles, broad jump, and directed retrieve again later. I will probably do go outs again as well, since it is all set up for me.

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
Back from our rental. With Faelan I worked heeling, Go Outs, Distance Sits game, signals, Stand, Drops on recall, fronts, finishes, Retrieves, ROH, Broad Jumps, Figure 8, sits & downs.

With Towhee I worked Take Its, come to me with the dumbbell (special treat for this = whipped cream :) ), heeling, recalls, High Jump, Broad Jump, Distant Sits, chamge of pace, Figure 8/Serpentine sits and Downs.

We had a REALLY creative guy who manged to have every single dog beak - repeatedly...on the down yet! It was a fun free for all and rather than the dogs being upset they soon caught on that their job was to try to trick the man by staying LOL

Overall a fun training session. Casey was off on a hike with my brother, BIL and 2 of my sisters dogs so all the dogs at the rental were related; pretty cool :)

While I was working signals, another dog was working with the dumbbell so Faelan had some great distractions.

So much to train, so little time ,,,,

The attached pic is from my cellphone and then downloaded from Facebook .. sorry for the poor quality but you can see how serious they are being :)

Attachments

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Okay you guys have to help me stay on track this week. I want to train artices EVERY day this week since I'm off work. I'm really bad about not training them enough and I finally brought them in today. He needs to get back to some consistent training. He still too green to get away with only pulling them out at a trial (hope we do get to that point some day!)

So be firm, remind me to train articles!

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
Jodie...repeat after me..NOI....NOI.....NOI....
How is that?
Articles will kill you if you aren't diligent!
You want confident and fast....

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Ha, we have confident and fast mastered, it's the slow down and think about what you're doing that we need to work on! He didn't do too bad though considering we haven't done them in a couple of weeks. When he snatched a wrong one I told him no and he was able to get his head together and find the right one. In the past when he's been in a snatching mood he couldn't get himself out of it so at least that's improvement. I know the amount of time I spend working articles is directly related to the amount of success we have on snatching, so I'll get back to regularity!

NOI...that would be finding 8 articles in two days. Gotta train.

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
Jodie,

Even on days that I don't train other things, I still train articles. If I do it, I know you can!!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
okay, articles, articles, articles! Do you ever watch your dog do articles and wonder why your breeder failed to mention your golden retriever also has border collie in his lines? LOL I swear he sees that pile of stuff out there, he knows one goes in his mouth, and it does something to his brain!

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Off restriction completly so I'll go through our exercises to see where we are and go from there. Tag will continue force fetch, I do know that much. Jodie, you remind me to do FF, and I'll remind you to do articles!

·
the party's crashing us
4,278 Posts
Okay productive field training. Yesterday we did a land-water setup in Williston, where we took the pictures. Double with memory bird in the water and go-bird a long land mark where the dog had to go through two large ditches with high cover. Long blind up the middle, long water angle entry, over a point then diagonal across a channel. Same blind we ran in a test last year. Slater got a correction, did his water mark as a single where he ran to the shore then ran back to me, heel-burn-heel, resent he went and got it no problem. Did the double perfect. Later set up another water double in a different spot and while he had some hesitation as he entered the water on the memory bird he did not pop, just a little slow down at the edge, went and got it -- GOOD BOY! Of course at the end of the session I realized my collar was blinking red which means low battery, so don't know how much of that correction he got. At any rate he got the message.
Today we went to the Big Field near Kristin's and did three land blinds for the big guys and singles for Millie and Harvin. Short and sweet. In the absence of suction Slater takes lovely casts, with suction, you know, not so much! :)

I am very excited because my friend Joan is coming to visit this week, she's a big obedience guru and has two High Times dogs (Quack & Campbell). This is a very mutually advantageous arrangement, besides the fact we're good friends and enjoy the company, she gives me obedience lessons and I give her field lessons! We are equally bad at the other person's sport! LOL

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
For those of you who missed it, I had a thread where I said I was concerned about Flip because he kept sleeping. I now realize he was not sick, he just wanted to build up enough energy to become crazy psycho dog! OMG! We did just finish working on articles, except we didn't get so much article work in as we did just practicing not being totally insane. I might consider changing his send from after a sit to send direct.

Did you know it's possible for a dog to reach an article pile in only two strides? :doh:

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
OK. We're in! I'm off work (with the exception of working NYE Day) until Jan. 12! I'll be out of town sans dogs Jan. 5-10, but while in town, we're working on really giving me attention in heeling (vs. phoning it in), and mostly DO NOT SNIFF THE GROUND WHEN WE'RE WORKING --- EV-AH! That's what was getting me on signals. As soon as my back was turned, he'd start looking around. Looking led to sniffing. Sniffing led to zero attention and a lil' traveling, and of course, total inability to see my signal.

So, he has a new rule in his training world. I'm walking him around and letting him sniff before we get started. Go ahead and be a dog. BUT - when we're working, if you drop your head and sniff the ground even one quick time, you calmly go into your crate for 30-45 seconds.

Sniffing has been our bugaboo all along. He sniffed in Nov groups and even when I'd leave him for the recall. Sniffed in open groups. Attempting to correct it was either just nagging or if someone else did it too harshly, seemed to create stress, which manifested in more sniffing.

The other thing we're working on is "minding yer own dang business" w/o me up your butt to do so. For example, building a ring and putting some stuff out randomly (toys, unused ring equipment, etc.) and not telling him to leave it (which I know I can do) but if he makes the choice on his own to go investigate, he immediately loses the chance to work -- back to the car you go!

The biggest thing I've discovered with him is that he's brilliant and responsive when I'm there to ask for certain behaviors. We've heeled over toys in training a zillion times ... even with me being the one to drop the toy as we're heeling. Historically, he'd drop his head to look and I'd playfully correct it and the next pass he'd be able to heel over/past w/o losing attention. BUT - I think that created too much of a situational context, along with a dog who still wants to opportunistically check stuff out... he looks for loopholes. So, now I'm working more of a "see, it's fun to work with me ... and if you think that thing over there is more fun, A. I won't let you get to it and experience fun with it and B. now you can't even play with me."

And between working on those core issues ... articles, dumbbell, go-outs, etc.

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
Back from today's rental - at one point Towhee was a very bad girl - she pulled in her crate cover and started shredding it grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

We started by working our AFrame, my AFrame needs to be re-skinned and I need to rent the doo hickey to drive the whatevers in so I used the clubs with a target and the infamous whipped cream - whoo hoo :) All 3 of my dogs did great (well Towhee rocketed off the side once but then did it nicely) and my training buds dog did a great job too :)

Then heeling, front & finishes with changes of pace, 1,2,3 step halts & fronts, come up sits, go-outs and recalls for all 3 dogs. Towhee and I worked on the moving down.

I started training the signal down & sit behind the bar jump board for Casey & Faelan -they quickly caught on although Casey at first thought the game was Down and smack the bar LOL - he is a dog taught many things through a paw touch :) which he often interprets as a smack is more fun.

Our rental came to an end all too quickly but it was a wonderful time and we did get a lot done.

My brother came up today so I did not go field training. I heard it was a great session but very raw, windy & cold.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts