Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, let's hear everyone's plans in ALL venues for the upcoming week!!

Gearing up for the holidays here (I'm sure everyone is!) so it's a light week for us. My son and his GF are coming in from FL on Monday, so I'll be concentrating on spending time with them.
None-the-less,
Sunday-Monday-Tuesday----- off
Wednesday---- 1/2 hour agility private lesson
Thursday---- Dan's, weather permitting
Friday-Saturday--- off

How about everyone else??

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Sunday--group training
Tuesday--trying to make plans to train with a pro for the first time. I am excited about the opportunity because my friends go in a group and he lets them watch each other's lessons so you can get even more out of it and remind your groupies of what they are supposed to be working on.

And....wait, Christmas is next week. Eek! I will be driving to Wyoming either Friday or Saturday.

Informally we work on obedience throughout the week. Our current focus is heeling and proofing. Also signals, fronts, retrieves....I would like to re-visit our go-outs. I haven't worked on them in awhile since go-outs are similar to running a blind. She runs hard to her pvc box and sits but I need to wean her off it eventually. My trainer thinks there should be something out there and since she is doing field work maybe a retrieve that she can get sometimes after being sent. Hmm.

Oh, and we'll throw in some 5-handed casting drills and maybe some walking baseball. I'm also going to see if my friend wants to meet up separately this week to work on blind transition.

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
I have a really busy weekend, so I probably will not work on much, but will definately work on articles.

During the week, I don't have much planned other than work, so it will probably be a day to day basis as to what I train. It will all be obedience work though. I think I will be checking in each day, and posting what I trained. I have found that keeps me going as far as making sure I train, and don't take a lazy day.

Reactions: hotel4dogs

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
Informally we work on obedience throughout the week. Our current focus is heeling and proofing. Also signals, fronts, retrieves....I would like to re-visit our go-outs. I haven't worked on them in awhile since go-outs are similar to running a blind. She runs hard to her pvc box and sits but I need to wean her off it eventually. My trainer thinks there should be something out there and since she is doing field work maybe a retrieve that she can get sometimes after being sent. Hmm.

QUOTE]

When Michelle gets back from the NOI, you should talk to her about getting some clear dowels for her to retrieve on her go outs.

Last summer, I spent a lot of time on field work. One day, I was just outside hanging out in the street with the dogs, and the neighbors dog(we live on a dead end), they were all running around, and my Rivet kept coming to bug me. I told him "GO!", and he went straight out, 3 houses down, and came back with the neighbors paper. Just wanted to share my funny little story.... Well it is funny to me:)

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
I have not finalized my schedule but here are my thoughts. I am taking advantage of the Christmas crowds and noise for attention/distraction training so other than heeling, front, finishes, recalls and drops the other items may not be worked on.

Sunday: Private obedience & agility session. Continue my rounds of busy shopping strips
Monday: Go Outs, recalls, Fronts, finishes, serpentines, weaves, retrieves/scent articles, heeling
Tuesday: Heeling, Drops, contacts, weaves, retrieves or scent articles
Wednesday: All 3 dogs have agility
Thursday: Heeling, Signals, Go Outs, Retrieves/scent articles, weaves, pinwheels
Friday: Possibly a work shop
Saturday: rental

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
I have a few extra clear dowels they work PERFECT for go outs! Let me know via PM if you want me to send you a couple, and include your address. When I go back to work, I can get a bunch more. They are discontinued towel bars for showers, so they are going to be thrown away anyhow.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Tuesday--trying to make plans to train with a pro for the first time. I am excited about the opportunity because my friends go in a group and he lets them watch each other's lessons so you can get even more out of it and remind your groupies of what they are supposed to be working on.
This is how my training with my pro works. I watch a lot of dogs train every week and I'm encouraged to ask questions (later) no matter who's dog it is. Also it has the feel of a hunt test, waiting in the car to run, airing before the run, holding blinds, always a dog for us to honor and a gallery. It is teaching me to really watch the set up. What is causing suction, define my area of fall and when I'm going to handle, is wind a factor......I'm not very good at it yet but I'm starting to be aware of some of the factors.

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
From our obedience rental last night - this was probably about 4 minutes into the Down and right after they had all just had a rip roaring time running around playing after the sit stays. Good dogs. My 3 are on the left while my friends 2 are on the right; it just happened that they were so separated. I love the way the bookends are heads down, the next 2 are alert and Faelan is kind of in between :)

Attachments

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the down-stay is Tito's favorite exercise. He practices it at home all the time ;)

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Well we had fun training today! Scout did well with her marking. We did a double then a single with a retired gunner. She was a butt for some reason on the line today. She wanted to snatch bumpers from the bumper pile when we came to the line and when I took the first bumper from her after a retrieve she wanted to try and snatch it from my hand again. Argh. I don't know where it came from but didn't let her get away with it.

I was watching a friend run her dog on a blind and the dog stopped to sniff then sat. She yelled really loudly 'No' then recast the dog back. So I had to stop and ask her afterward if she had nicked her dog for that (this is an advanced dog). What followed was an interesting discussion. She had not nicked her dog, because Lucy is an honest dog and being told she was wrong ('no') was enough correction for her. However, she said that was what was right for that particular dog. If it had been Scout (theoretically at the level, she isn't yet) she said I would probably do something different. Lucy is an honest dog who just wants to do the right thing. Scout is not. Actually, Scout could care less if I just told her no. She's the kind of dog if you give her an inch she'll take a mile. So it's very hard especially to know when to push and when not to because Scout likes to do her own thing to an extent or tweak exercises for her benefit. It'll be interesting to see what she's like once we start running cold blinds...

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
A few outtakes from my lesson. Casey went for a hike instead of the lesson, but Faelan and Towhee both went. It was cold in the barn and my front pockets were full of training treats and other stuff so I look kind of weird but, I hope you enjoy. Towhee was really jacked up today so ...

We ran out of video before Towhee's session was complete, but during her heeling, she tends to forge at times and she will also go into a pace after about turns at times; I am hoping to show her in Novice next March so we are still analyzing what might be contributing - of course it could be just green dog syndrome, or the fact that she has a short body - or a dozen other things LOL.

And finally, Faelan and I working on our current problem spot - normal to slow - I am exaggerating the issue so my instructor sees what is happening, but here you go...

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
He is looking really good!! I couldn't get the Towhee video to play though:(

·
Kate
21,681 Posts
**** Sharon, it looked COLD in there! The dogs looked good to me. I liked the wagging tails. :)

- I think Towhee was pacing throughout... but she was so up and bouncy, that may have been causing that.

We are probably going to play it by ear this week...

It's Sunday evening and I haven't done any training since Thurs last week. o_O

I came home from work Friday... and CRASHED.

Saturday evening I started my Christmas baking after pretty much being out since 10AM. Jacks was a very patient baker's mascot.

And today... we went Christmas tree shopping.

Monday-Tues-Weds = Last minute gift shopping.

Thurs-Saturday = Finishing up my baking and decorating the tree.

Heeheee.... I'm blessed if I can get the boy out for walks every single day.

I'm going to try to get stays in today and every day this week. We are NOT going to class anywhere for the next couple weeks, so what I do at home is going to have to count. The main things I want to work on besides the stays are go-outs, dors, quick heeling bursts, signals, fronts (straight, from heel, scoots).

One thing I wanted to point out.... as far as obedience training. Some people might see 3+ years of dog classes as a waste of time, but um. :)

Tree place #1 - I walked out with my jingle bell dog and he had people falling all over him because he was so quiet, wiggly, and polite (no jumping, no licking). The owner told me he had a "white golden" who apparently wasn't that well-behaved. Side note, but same guy was also in awe of Jacks' feathering and repeatedly said so. I just thanked him, but was thinking that Jacks has a modest coat compared to our previous golden... :D

Tree place #2 - I asked the people inside the shop if I could bring Jacks in with me when I went to pay. They had country store type stuff - he was in awe of everything. He enjoyed sniffing and checking out everything with a constantly wagging tail. He willingly visited with everything and was a perfect shop guest. No marking, thank goodness.

Tree place #2 - While helping the guys drag an 8 foot tree inside my parents' minivan, Jacks hopped out and promptly insisted on following me and staying with me. He only had his jingle bell collar on, but it was not an issue. He had zero interest in the parking lot or anything else around us. He was just staying with me.

I guess the other thing is an advantage to keeping your dog in shape. Because the tree took up SO MUCH ROOM, I sat in the hatch area of the minivan with Jacks in my lap. All 78 pounds of him. He sat very nicely and watched the passing cars with me the whole 20 minutes it took getting home. :)

·
where the tails wag
13,384 Posts
I think this is a very telling point your friend made. For my Faelan, NO is probably more effective than a nick might be. He so wants to please but he is not that physically sensitive. So you need to know your dog for sure :)

Sounds like you had a very good session !

I was watching a friend run her dog on a blind and the dog stopped to sniff then sat. She yelled really loudly 'No' then recast the dog back. So I had to stop and ask her afterward if she had nicked her dog for that (this is an advanced dog). What followed was an interesting discussion. She had not nicked her dog, because Lucy is an honest dog and being told she was wrong ('no') was enough correction for her. However, she said that was what was right for that particular dog. If it had been Scout (theoretically at the level, she isn't yet) she said I would probably do something different. Lucy is an honest dog who just wants to do the right thing. Scout is not. Actually, Scout could care less if I just told her no. She's the kind of dog if you give her an inch she'll take a mile. So it's very hard especially to know when to push and when not to because Scout likes to do her own thing to an extent or tweak exercises for her benefit. It'll be interesting to see what she's like once we start running cold blinds...

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Great training session. Thanks for posting the videos, your kids are beautiful!

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Well I am happy to say that I pulled out Scout's scent articles for the first time in a couple months. Had someone scent the pile, then I scented my article and sent her. She nailed the metal article the first time. The leather was tricky for her. Ever since I bought this new set I initially only used 6 to transition and ever since then I have problems with that number. Of course, if she misses a leather now it is because she goes for 6. She did that tonight and I re-sent her then she was fine. So I did it a second time (with 6 out there) and then she was fine. Ugh. I was hoping airing them longer would help. Might need to check with my trainer on that one...

We also did some retrieves and I made her run past her toys for them. She did great...charged for the dumbbell, didn't go after the toys, and didn't pounce either. Yay! We worked on fronts with the dumbbell as well. She's doing good with fronts in general but is more crooked when she has the dumbbell. So I am breaking it down and just focusing on that aspect separate from the retrieve part.

·
Riot's mom
632 Posts
**** Sharon, it looked COLD in there! The dogs looked good to me. I liked the wagging tails. :)

- I think Towhee was pacing throughout... but she was so up and bouncy, that may have been causing that.
Their heeling looked really nice! I loved Faelan's figure 8. He looked beautiful! I agree that it looks like Towhee was pacing the whole time.

We will be field training this week! I'm back home for the holidays, so that means training with my usual peeps.

Today: Just me and my friend (she has two goldens in training, both are QAA. She is also raising an adorable black lab puppy, who we threw a few baby marks for). J threw about 7 marks for Riot. She has a starter pistol, and its always nice to practice with that. Riot did fabulous! He nailed all the marks. They weren't super long, but they had some cover and factors such as hills and ditches that he isn't used to. Later in the day we did a few water marks, and found out that he definitely is a "cheater." J told me that if I train with other people, I need to make sure any water marks we do have no cheat in them. We won't be able to get to swim by until March or April, just because of the water temperature.

Monday/Tuesday: One of these days I will be going back to the field with some friends. The other I will be working some drills. We are still on FTP, but I think that I might be able to start sit to pile. How far should we be running to the pile? 100 Yds? More? He is very good at FTP with good drive and a good attitude.

Wednesday: going to Cooper Black in SC to field train with a group. Super excited. It should be good for Riot to get some experience hanging out while other dogs run. He doesn't like to be left out of the fun...

Thursday: Probably off. It's "Christmas" since my parents are leaving for FL on Friday morning.

Friday: FTP and 3 handed casting

Saturday: probably off

Sunday: Might go and train, since it will just be me and the hubby, and no one else will be out. We will see if I can convince him :)

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
your clan looks awesome Sharon! So does your training space, wow! Tito needs to come live with you for a while.

Reactions: Sunrise
1 - 20 of 77 Posts