Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just realized I overlapped Dec. 11 on the other thread, oooops!

Closing in on the holidays! I know everyone will be really busy, but what do you plan to do with your dog(s) this week?

Here's ours:

Sunday---obedience show
Monday and Tuesday----off
Wednesday---my training partner is taking us FOR REAL pheasant hunting! It will be our first time (unless it rains, in which case I am not going!). Then later 1/2 hour agility private lesson
Thursday--trying to make it out to Dan's, weather permitting
Friday and Saturday--???

Reactions: gdgli

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
Drivin driving driving,showing showing and then driving again...ugh..

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
Ooh...I wanna go hunting too! I have to finish my Hunter's Ed class this week--Mon, Tue, and Thursday night with Saturday field day.

Trying to find time to take a lesson from a pro trainer...well I have been trying to go for the last several months at least once with my friends but timing has never worked out for me. If you venture onto RTF you may know him as Pete.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Tomorrow we are going out to some casting exercises and I really want to try that BB Blind that Evan posted up and some honor drills.

monday through the week I will contintue to work on whistle sits and whoa. Going to do some in a new area with distractions.

BaWaaJige seems to have the whole swing into heal postition down but I want to do some in the park in Walker next week to see how he is with distractions.

·
the party's crashing us
4,278 Posts
Tomorrow we are going out to some casting exercises and I really want to try that BB Blind that Evan posted up and some honor drills.
BB blinds are for dogs who are RUNNING BLINDS --- I don't see how you could even pretend to run them with a dog not through transition.

Reactions: hotel4dogs

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
Most of my obedience training is done indoors this time of year, as my backyard is covered in snow. I do venture out even when it is bitter cold to do a little work outside on the driveway though, or the street if it is clear.

Monday: Articles, signals, go outs, rear end awareness work, fronts, finishes, broad jump(weather permitting).

Tuesday: Rear end work, articles, heeling, fronts, go outs, signals, stays.

Wednesday: Heeling, articles, fronts(with and withoug dumbell), rear end work, finishes, broad jump(weather permitting), retrieving.

Thursday: Rear end work, heeling, articles, signals, go outs, fronts, finishes, stays.

Friday: Articles, rear end work, heeling, stays, fronts(with and without dumbell), finishes, broad jump(weather permitting).

Saturday, and Sunday. Pretty much everything, broken up between the day, and lots of time checking for NOI updates.

I will also be helping my son Clayton learn obedience with Rivet.

·
Riot's mom
632 Posts
Monday: Articles, signals, go outs, rear end awareness work, fronts, finishes, broad jump(weather permitting).

Tuesday: Rear end work, articles, heeling, fronts, go outs, signals, stays.

Wednesday: Heeling, articles, fronts(with and withoug dumbell), rear end work, finishes, broad jump(weather permitting), retrieving.

Thursday: Rear end work, heeling, articles, signals, go outs, fronts, finishes, stays.

Friday: Articles, rear end work, heeling, stays, fronts(with and without dumbell), finishes, broad jump(weather permitting).

Saturday, and Sunday. Pretty much everything, broken up between the day, and lots of time checking for NOI updates.

I will also be helping my son Clayton learn obedience with Rivet.
Can you describe what you do for "rear end work"? Riot can't figure out he has a rear end. He can't even back up in a normal way.

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
Can you describe what you do for "rear end work"? Riot can't figure out he has a rear end. He can't even back up in a normal way.
Sidepassing, spinning, circling, backing, and then a lot of working in the front position(going form side to side, or feet on a bowl, as they do a turn on the forehand in the front position as I move around the bowl). We also sometimes do some backing around me.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Marie, lay a long ladder down on the ground and walk him up it so that he has to step between the rungs. He'll find his back end pretty quick.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We are not going to the obedience show tomorrow, he titled today :) :) :)

·
the party's crashing us
4,278 Posts

·
Titan1
2,353 Posts
Pheasant Hunting, pheasant hunting, pheasant hunting and the occasional picture.
Yours sounds like a lot more fun!...Good luck and have fun!

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
BB blinds are for dogs who are RUNNING BLINDS --- I don't see how you could even pretend to run them with a dog not through transition.
I guess I should have said with my sisters lab. She is running blinds. I was going to do the bird boy part. and have my son make Jige honor Prada's runs. Jige needs to work on his honors.
When I talk about the training Iam talking about two dogs. Prada Brown and Jige.

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
My plans are a bit up in the air for this coming week. What I have so far:

Today, Sun: refresh what our private covered yesterday & write my notes. Followed by Rally run thrus this evening.

Mon: Faelan : Articles, distance sits, Heeling change of pace, fronts
Towhee: Retrieve, distance sits, Heeling change of pace, fronts
Casey: Happy Happy
Me: Heeling Footwork and body language

Tue: Towhee has obedience class

Wed: Casey, Faelan and Towhee all have agility class

Thu: Combination of obedience and agility - need to include finishes

Fri: Faelan: scent articles, heeling, signals, distant sits, go outs, fronts
Towhee: Retrieve, heeling, Down out of motion, Broad Jump, fronts
Casey: Happy heeling, Retrieves, High Jump, Broad Jump
Me: Practice footwork and body language

Sat: I need to check my schedule (at work) but I believe I have a private obedience lesson, followed by a rental.

·
the party's crashing us
4,278 Posts
Well I have some new pets. 19 of them, whoops, make it 18 after yesterday. Kristin and I bought 19 ducks and are keeping them in the duck pen where we train, along with about 40 of their friends. We spent a few hours the first day cleaning the pen and reconfiguring their water source (which was an utter mess) and are feeding them and changing their water every time we go out to train (they of course are fed every day otherwise).
So yesterday we caught four of them and gave them little hoods so they couldn't see, and used them in our marks. Slater, Millie and Puck need experience with live birds; Fisher proved he doesn't by killing his.
Anyways it was cold -- 56 degrees, BRRRRRRR!!!!! -- and rainy but we set up a nice land triple and two blinds, ran everyone accordingly, and had a nice day. The three ducks that Fisher DIDN'T get were perfectly fine.
Tuesday we have someone to shoot so will get true shot fliers for puppies.

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
Grins - my remaining duck was rehomed to a friend, who bought him 2 chickens to keep him company! I found out I was allergic - I kind of suspected since every duck does not roll around in Poison Ivy and yet I kept getting Poison Ivy like rashes after handling the ducks (I started with 3, one flew away, one I released and Sir Drake, now known as Quakers was the one rehomed). Have fun with your ducks; they are messy but very endearing :) Not to mention essential for training.

Well I have some new pets. 19 of them, whoops, make it 18 after yesterday. Kristin and I bought 19 ducks and are keeping them in the duck pen where we train, along with about 40 of their friends. We spent a few hours the first day cleaning the pen and reconfiguring their water source (which was an utter mess) and are feeding them and changing their water every time we go out to train (they of course are fed every day otherwise).
So yesterday we caught four of them and gave them little hoods so they couldn't see, and used them in our marks. Slater, Millie and Puck need experience with live birds; Fisher proved he doesn't by killing his.
Anyways it was cold -- 56 degrees, BRRRRRRR!!!!! -- and rainy but we set up a nice land triple and two blinds, ran everyone accordingly, and had a nice day. The three ducks that Fisher DIDN'T get were perfectly fine.
Tuesday we have someone to shoot so will get true shot fliers for puppies.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fisher is so glad you bought him 19, errr, 18, Christmas dinners ;)

edit to add....I was going to let that comment about it being cold slip by, but I just can't. It was 9 degrees here yesterday morning.

·
the party's crashing us
4,278 Posts
NINE DEGREES! ***!!!!!!
YOU PEOPLE ARE NUTS!!!!!!!!

Yes Fisher really -- he was also the one that did about 14 laps around the duck pen the other day, barking, before I could catch him -- the other dogs are like, what is your problem!!!
I think I would take his bird crunching problems more seriously if he were sticky on birds -- oh great -- power of suggestion --- the one thing we've never had an issue on! LOL

1 - 20 of 74 Posts