Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Hoping for a little advice. We rescued my boy Frankie from a puppymill in Mo. He was extremely malnourished and ill when I brought him home. At 12 weeks he weighed 8.1 pounds, had parasites, and a severe URI. That was 7 weeks ago. He now weighs 24 pounds, been treated with 2 rounds of panacur, and 2 rounds of antibiotics. He is healthier, robust(somewhat), and growing!
My issue is that I coddled him and spoiled him...little. I hand fed him and allowed him to dictate what he will eat, if he did not like one thing, I fed him something better. He is pretty much potty trained and will sit on command. He will also walk on a leash, but that is the extent of the training. The vet did not want him around other dogs because he is still getting his immunity stronger and he needs one more set of booster shots, since we did not have a vaccination history. Parvo is a biggie here in Fl as is distemper, so we have been very careful.
His medical bills have been expensive, so I can not afford a private trainer at this time. How do I train him? Are there videos? Is there an order to the skills taught? Any suggestions would be helpful! Thanks

·
Kristy
9,827 Posts
Welcome to you and Frankie :) He sure is a lucky boy to have landed with you. Yes, there are lots of books and videos to help you with training your puppy. Don't worry about having spoiled him, sounds like he needed it. Just start setting some boundaries going forward on the behavior you know will not be attractive when he weights 75 pounds. :)

Here is a good place to start: https://www.youtube.com/user/kikopup
https://www.youtube.com/user/ClickerDogs

There are also some great books you can get from the library or used on Amazon that can be a big help. Here are some names to look for at your library, you can see if the books you have available appear to be useful to where you are in his training:

Dr. Ian Dunbar
Patricia Mcconnell
Calming Signals by Turid Rugass
Dr. Sophia Yin
Bob Bailey

Also you can use the search feature at the top of the page and enter your topic, it will bring up all previous threads on the subject. There should be plenty on this subject.

·
Registered
12,189 Posts
First of all bless you for rescuing your little guy and taking such good care of him. There are a lot of videos on line about training techniques. Look for Victoria Stilwell's videos. She is very positive orientated in her training methods. Good luck and by the way we love pictures. ;)

·
Registered
13,073 Posts
I don't think you spoiled him too much. You cared for a broken little soul, and taught him to trust. That's a big thing right off the top. You helped him get well. Until he was well, he wouldn't have been able to learn much anyway.

Glad others have supplied some videos to help. I think you'll be fine. Patience and consistency are the keys. Let us know how it goes!

Reactions: Frankie's mom
1 - 5 of 5 Posts