Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Training adopted older dogs

I am considering adopting a Golden age 6 months- 2 years.
In my experience it is better to start training at an early age when they are very willing and eager to learn new things and you can encourage willingness to please. I am looking for a dog that will be a good candidate for canine freestyle/ tricks and more.
Has anyone had success adopting an older puppy or adult dog that did well with training?
Are there any suggestions/ training methods specific to this situation?

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
My experience with Lexi (adopted at 9 months) is that she was every bit as smart and learned tricks very easily.....Clicker training for her was the key as she had a hard time being handled and touched...

The part I was never able to truly conquer was the lack of socialization....she gets rather whale-eyed in large crowds. She doesn't out-and-out panic, but she doesn't relax and enjoy it the way my other, more socialized, dogs do....

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
A dog is never too old to learn new tricks. My friend just put one of the rescues through obedience training, this golden is 9yrs old and has spent the last year in boarding (such a shame) & was in boarding during the 6 weeks of class... so no in-home practice during the week. The rescue golden learned faster than the lady's own & aside from not having a "stay", would have been ready to test for her CGC.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts