Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for dog trainer in south Florida that won't break my bank!

Hopefully ill have some luck on here

·
Registered
939 Posts
For obedience? Look for a local dog training club and sign up for classes. Prices are usually much lower than "professional" trainers. Many of the instructors have years of experience.

·
Registered
463 Posts
For initial Obedience, Sit, Stay, Come, Heel, Down, ... find a class where you are trained to train the dog is the least expensive and most effective! They usually have one, one hour course per week for 6 weeks. Once you have been taught to train your dog, you can continue it through his/her life.

Search the internet for 'Basic Obedience Class for Dogs" or something like that....

If you drop your dog off somewhere to be trained, you still will not know how to handle him....

·
Maegan
557 Posts
You may be too far south, but I recommend looking up Lakeland Canine Academy. The owner does both competition and behavioral training and is well-respected nationwide, and as far as I know won't break the bank.

·
Registered
463 Posts
iUOTE="ArkansasGold, post: 7803389, member: 183266"]
You may be too far south, but I recommend looking up Lakeland Canine Academy. The owner does both competition and behavioral training and is well-respected nationwide, and as far as I know won't break the bank.
[/QUOTE]

That sounds like a real good program...perfect for what Cooper has indicated he wants done with the pup!

·
Registered
939 Posts
I thought of him too! I don't know how far that would be though.

·
Kristy
9,390 Posts
Try doing a search online or via facebook for the closest group to your metro area that is a "Dog Training CLUB" or "Obedience Training CLUB" and ask for referral to someone. Also contact the Golden Retriever Clubs in your region and ask for referrals. There are usually some talented trainers in these groups and they all know each other and can help you network. Training clubs have classes taught by members and after you join the club the class prices are an incredible bargain. If you look at a few private lessons as an investment in the dog to get you on the right track and then classes as a way to keep you honest about practicing every day it is usually a great combination. Best of luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts