Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finn's new, (potentially) trainer is coming to the house in about 15 minutes. We agreed to meet and talk about our training styles before either of us committed. Either way at least he'll get a session in with someone who can be objective!

I know at home training isn't for everyone, and the socialization of the other pups is good, but it seemed that everytime I did a puppy class at the vet's, there was always a big goofball dog involved that was being "trained" by a 12 year old that sucked up all the trainers attention! If I can get some guidance with the basics, I can take over from there until I can get him into some club training.

Note to anyone planning to join puppy classes! Enroll now- I was surprised at how full they all were, and most had waiting lists! Wish us luck!

·
Registered
13,732 Posts
Congratulations :)

I usually use private trainers for the bulk of my training and use classes as distractions. I'm not sure how much dogs can really learn in a class and I feel way better when my dogs are not attempting to learn manners or commands at the same time that they are learning about behaving in a group. And, we have other things we can do while the 12 yo is taking all the instructors' time LOL

Have fun - btw; if he mentions corrections, see what he really means. My primary trainer uses the word correction when she's really talking about redirecting or saying something like 'Hey, up here' after the dog basically knows the command.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts