Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Senior Royal Member
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm new here and have searched for this topic but could not find it discussed. We rescued a Golden through Middle Tennessee G.R.R. back in May. She came from a kill shelter in KY. Apparently an owner surrender to a kill shelter. (NOT a "shelter", a pound.) Anyhow, she has a chip that was acquired from the AKC by her breeder. We have her common name and her birthday (Nov 16, 2009). Any way to find her breeder with this information, and I have the tracking number, serial number, whatever it's called, of the chip. Really curious about the kennel she came from.

Thanks,
Max

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Have you applied to have the chip changed over in your name? Don't want to scare you, but you may be opening a big can of worms here. I am sure some breeders would be very upset to learn their pups had been in the pound. If the breeder co-owned they still might have some legal right to the dog. Just be careful....

·
Registered
291 Posts
I am in the same boat as you, rescued my Lady girl 3 months ago, have her pedigree and chip number and everything, I would like to know if her parents had clearances but cannot find the info anywhere, looked in the OFFA web page but I did not find any info, I found out who bred her but I am afraid that if I contact them they might get upset that Lady ended up in rescue and want her back ( I have no idea if the people that bought her ever informed the breeder they were gonna give her up to a rescue group), I guess I will find out the hard way IF she suffers from any of the ailments that her parents should have been cleared of. Hope you find the info you are looking for!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
I could be wrong but I think the only way you would find the breeder from a microchip number alone, is if the breeder was the one that had the chip implanted and if their name remained linked to the chip after the pup was placed in its home...

Or perhaps-maybe if the puppy buyer listed the breeder as a emergency contact person in the pups microchip file.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Some of the chip companies keep track of who they sold microchips too. My clinic uses HomeAgain. If I microchip a pet and the chip never gets registered, HomeAgain knows that they sold that chip to us and we will be contacted to see if our records indicate who the owner is.

·
Senior Royal Member
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes the chip has been registered to us. Prior to that, the chip had no information attached to it at all, just the serial number of the chip when scanned, the database was empty of information includung breeder, or origional owner. It is an AKC supplied chip that, as I understand it, is supplied to kennels for their implant needs. In May, I inquired of the AKC if they kept records of who they sold chips to, but received no answer.
My vet says that Daisy was spayed as a pup, so I doubt that the kennel wanted her to be used for breeding. That's one reason I am curious about her kennel and pedigree. I'm not experienced in dog breeding and showing, but I see some aspects of Daisy that are bordering on non-conformity to the breed standard. But the owner surrender information indicates that she is a purebred Golden, that her birthday is known, and that her name is known. And the fact that she has a chip implanted, even though there was no information associated with it, suggests that she may be a not-quite-breeding-or-show quality Golden. But she is a great family pet and field retriever. Really a supurb retriever. But tall, thin, long legged, with a huge and prominant occipital ridge. Afterall, why would you chip and then spay a purebred pup, or waste a chip on a less than perfect dog?

Max

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Chips are used to identify....purebred or mixed breeds...makes no diff. It's like an implanted id tag. breederinfo is not on the chip unless they own the dog or are emergency contact.

·
Registered
106 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,421 Posts
Yes the chip has been registered to us. Prior to that, the chip had no information attached to it at all, just the serial number of the chip when scanned, the database was empty of information includung breeder, or origional owner. It is an AKC supplied chip that, as I understand it, is supplied to kennels for their implant needs. In May, I inquired of the AKC if they kept records of who they sold chips to, but received no answer.
My vet says that Daisy was spayed as a pup, so I doubt that the kennel wanted her to be used for breeding. That's one reason I am curious about her kennel and pedigree. I'm not experienced in dog breeding and showing, but I see some aspects of Daisy that are bordering on non-conformity to the breed standard. But the owner surrender information indicates that she is a purebred Golden, that her birthday is known, and that her name is known. And the fact that she has a chip implanted, even though there was no information associated with it, suggests that she may be a not-quite-breeding-or-show quality Golden. But she is a great family pet and field retriever. Really a supurb retriever. But tall, thin, long legged, with a huge and prominant occipital ridge. Afterall, why would you chip and then spay a purebred pup, or waste a chip on a less than perfect dog?

Max
It's probable that she was a puppy mill bred dog, and was microchipped by the pet store that sold her. Pedigree, registration papers, birthdate of the litter, are all part of the "package" the pet store uses to sell the puppies. Pet stores typically chip puppies when they are purchased. I highly doubt it is any indication the breeder was reputable.

·
Senior Royal Member
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe the Vets register HomeAgain chips when they insert them. Check it out.

Pet Microchip for Dogs and Cats | HomeAgain Pet ID & Recovery Service
Not a Home Again chip. Daisy has an AKC supplied chip called AKC CAR, these chips are provided mainly to AKC breeders. AKC sells them in batches for chipping litters. Then the owner registers the chip with AKC and provides owner imformation for the AKC CAR database.

Would AKC sell chips to a mill breeder or a pet store?

Max

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Not a Home Again chip. Daisy has an AKC supplied chip called AKC CAR, these chips are provided mainly to AKC breeders. AKC sells them in batches for chipping litters. Then the owner registers the chip with AKC and provides owner imformation for the AKC CAR database.

Would AKC sell chips to a mill breeder or a pet store?

Max
If they have the money to purchase them, the AKC chips can be purchased by anyone.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have a puppy mill puppy. We rescued her from a pet store. She came with all kinds of fancy stuff including AKC registration and an AKC chip. After we purchased (rescued) her I researched her "Breeder" but I cannot find any information on her.

·
Senior Royal Member
5,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, since the AKC will not answer me, do they keep track of who the chips are sold to?

Max

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Who did you write to? I might try writing to the AKC CAR division as they appear to the ones in charge of microchips. This appears to be their e-mail address for most things: [email protected]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts