Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Penny is due for her 4 month and hopefully final checkup in 10 days. I will be asking the vet but wanted your input too.

When she overdoes TOO MUCH she is a little lame on that leg. Over doing just a little seems to not cause this.

My question is: is this the new normal? or will she eventually be able to run and jump without hurting herself?

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
Robbie was several months getting back to 100%, but he does not limp at all now and runs as hard and long as he wants to. So from my experience I do think she will get to the point she won't hurt with normal activity. It just may take a few more months.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Those were the answer I was hoping for. When she hurts, we make her stay home and rest more. These limp episodes almost always follow a weekend at the barn. :(

I think I'll ask for a painkiller, nsaid for her. I don't mind giving them at night when she can rest and recover a bit.

I gave the few I had to left to my daughter. Her Sascha pulled up limping after a vigorous session of fetch! :(

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
My golden had TPLO on his right knee 13 weeks ago. At 8 weeks he had his x-ray to check bone healing,which was complete and good and the surgeon never mentioned that he had to be rechecked again. I am really surprised to hear that it could take months for a 100 percent recovery. I did not know that. I will certainly keep an eye on that. Toby is limping right now because of the FHO on the other side:
At week 6 in his recovery Toby started limping severely again, because he had to put more weight on his bad knee because the hip on the other side was giving out. But at 8 weeks the bone healing was complete, thank god. But also at exactly 8 weeks post op TPLO he had an FHO done on his left hip. It was so damaged, FHO was the choice I made and when the surgeon operated, there was so much damage, he would not have been able to put a new hip joint in anyway. So FHO was the right and only choice for Toby. Now, he is walking really good and I can only tell a small limp on the FHO side. He tries to run, but he cannot do that yet. I am still doing rehab with him. We do have our ups and downs where he gets sore and has to rest more again. But, all in all he is doing amazingly well so far. So, right now, I really do not know the status of his TPLO leg. I do hope he won't have setbacks on that knee. I just know for now, that he is not limping on that leg.
I wish your furbaby full recovery.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Penny's orthopedic surgeon keeps the dogs on complete, forced rest for the first 8 weeks. Outside on leash only for potty breaks only. Penny was confined to a 6x8 rug during the day and her bed area at night.

Her 8 week check up showed that bone growth had BEGUN but that the saw cut hadn't completely healed. Between 8 and 16 weeks she was allowed a little more freedom, some easy walks but still all on a leash. We didn't stick to that because she's such an exciteable dog. We had to let her go a bit to keep her calm most of the time. At her 4 month checkup he'll let us know how much we can increase her freedom. Almost all dogs are released back to fully activity, or at least working up to it, between 16 and 20 weeks.

Being off leash at the barn...is a no-no. Playing with her best friend Sascha at the barn is a no-no. Jumping ina dn out of the car is a no-no. She did all three over the weekend. :( THAT was the over doing.

She's managing going outside for potty or hangin' in the yard with a leash and for short walks. She's on and off the bed and couch. But running around and playing at the barn is obviously way over the top for her at this point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts