Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

So, Cassie is 6 months old, and it looks like she has all of her adult teeth in. When she was a puppy, she had a ton of toys that she would play with, and I think because of that, she's been very very good about not chewing things she wasn't supposed to. She was always too busy taking a new toy out of her toy box.

The problem is that now that she's got her adult teeth in, her toy chewing style has changed somewhat.

She used to love plush toys with the annoying squeakers in them (ugh, I swore I'd never get a squeaker, but she loved them, and I'm a pushover...) but now, she takes them and instead of gnawing like she used to, she uses her front teeth and pulls the threads out. Same thing with her rope knot toy. Of course I immediately take the toy away from her, because I do not want her ingesting string pieces.

She has a few Nylabone hard chews that she likes, but I want to make sure to give her some good variety (yes, I will admit, I do tend to spoil her... lol). She loves soft chews, and I'd much rather her go for an approved toy than my couch.

It's so hard to find quality, durable toys that are appealing to her. It seems as if anything that's durable, she's like "ehh..." and anything that's cheaply made and easily destroyed, she loves.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-tyler

·
Registered
618 Posts
I'm in the same boat. JJ turned 6 months not all that long ago and he went through majority of his plush toys in a matter of 2-3 days. The "toughest" toys last him a few minutes before they need to be taken away and either thrown out or restitched. Even the hard rubber toys don't last. As I recently said in another thread, we got him this shark that I've seen a bunch of members on here get for their dogs that's suppose to be real strong and it was no more then 10-15 minutes before he put a hole in it and I had to take it away. Maybe you want to consider something like an elk antler for your pup to chew on, which I'm thinking about picking up myself. Or a football. Seriously. I bought a football tonight to give to JJ on Christmas :)

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
Here, Too!

Maisie just turned 6 months and the same things is going on here. She just destroyed her only stuffed toy that didn't have a squeaker, picking it apart with her sharp adult teeth. Tonight, she did the same thing with her beloved "Allie-gator", one of those supposedly super-tough toys (this one was rated 7 out of 10 on the manufacturer's scale). She pulled out the threads and then the stuffing and I had to take it away from her. It did last almost 3 months.

She still loves her antler though. And, I'm planning to replace the alligator toy with something along the same line, maybe higher on the toughness ratings, though.

I'd love other suggestions.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Jolly balls and all the orbee toys are pretty chew resistant. Goughnuts are great for really strong chewers.

www.goughnuts.com

www.planetdog.com for orbee toys

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Tug-n-Toss-Jolly-Ball-Dogs/dp/B004BR9HN4/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1324271310&sr=8-10[/ame] for jolly balls. You may find them cheaper but you can see what they are and the sizes they come in.

Reactions: jluke

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I dont have that trouble with Jige he doesnt chew up his toys but we do have 2 dogs here that like to destroy everything for them we have bones from the buthcher shop and pop bottles. I take the caps off as they can come off while they are chewing and can hurt my dogs. My dogs love these pop bottles. They pounce on them and the bottle shoots across the floor they chew on them and they make fun nioseyou can put a few treats in them and as they roll them around they get a treat.

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
we have the same problem with moose.. the thing is he loves toys that squeak.. and its hard to find a durable toy that squeaks so we jsut started buying cheap squeaking toys from the dollar store.. it may only last like 5 mins but it was 2 dollars lol.. we just had to give in. but he does have 3 toys that have oddly enough lasted the past few months..

the first one his is fire hose toy.. its made out of well.. fire hose.. lol so its super durable.. it says it has a squeaker and it does.. but the its the faintest squeaks and hard to find.. moose chews on it for hours.. he did try to pull a piece of thread out of it.. but we just cut it off and havent had anymore problems

Super Tough Fire Hose Dog Toy Squeak 'n Fetch - Float in Water

the second one we have for him is this squeaker toy.. we only give him this for a few moments bcause it is super annoying.. lol but he hasn't destroyed it at all.. he just squeaks and squeaks and squeaks it .. its made by a plastic type material so theres no strings!

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Hartz-Dura-Play-Bone-Medium/dp/B000QOHOC2[/ame]

and thirdd is a another toy.. my boyfriend doesn't like it.. he says is too "suggestive" lol but moose loved it! its kinda like a tennis ball with a rubber coating to make it really good for him to chew on.. and he does chew on it for hours..

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Hyper-Products-Ruff-Tuff-Stick/dp/B001RTTL76[/ame]

those are the toys moose has that he has had for months.. and hasn't destroyed them.. that being said he also has a ton of toys too.. so he has his options lol

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Kongs are great to keep her quiet. Fill them with a good treat and freeze it. Beamer loves those.

Thankfully we haven't had a problem with him tearing toys up, so I really cannot suggest tough toys.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Love my planet dog toys: eggplant, artichoke, snowballs, and bones. My dogs do not destroy and of them. They do peel their rubber "tennis balls", however!! I am told that they do replace them if destroyed.

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
OMG, I am relieved to see this. I thought it was a destructive thing but it must just be a "I have big dog teeth now" thing. LOL.

We stopped buying stuffies cuz those got destroyed instantly. We buy more toys without fuzzies on them. We got this pig that makes a pig noise instaed of squeaking. Koda LOVES it...I broke the big noise LOL so we are getting another but it isn't obnoxious like the others.

The first night we gave it to her she didn't know if it was a real thing or a toy so she very gently picked it up and walked it to her bed and started licking it...once I got down and showed her it wasn't real and she could play with it she went nuts! It was adorable!

Anyways..we just stick to things she can't tear apart cuz we dont like having to take that stuff away from her..

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
This is Tilley's most favorite toy in the world. You will never see her without it when outside. She entertains herself for hours with it and as you can see, when she gets tired she tries to cover it with sticks and brush so no one else will get it. My other 2 don't find it interesting though so I guess it takes a certain personality. There is another ball inside it.

I can't do smaller balls to throw because they get too crazy and worked up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
They are very destructive with stuffed toys but do well the hugglehound stuffed toys and rope type toys, they have never cared for the rubbery type toys and bones. They do like the extra tough nylabones, especially the ones with nubby things, like the dinosaurs.

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
oddly enough moose has a stuffed hippo.. it was his first toy.. its the only stuffie he hasnt destroyed.. he just squeaks it.. he loves his hippo lol

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Since he was 6 months or so there has not been a stuffed toy that Jaro can't destroy in no time--even the ones for the hardest chewers. I second the toys from West Paw Design (had them for months and they are still like new), and the ones Sally'sMom said, Planet something, the artichoke is still intact. If you really want something soft you can make your own braided fleece tug. I got a fleece twin size blanket, but it in strips and braided them. While Jaro can chew off pieces, the are not woven so there are no dagerious treads to injest. Once blanket will make many, many tug toys.

·
Registered
31 Posts
looking for sturdy squeaky toy

I'm looking for a sturdy squeaky toy/ball. Flash peels the felt cover off tennis balls. Stuffed soft furry toys are a joke. In seconds they are destroyed. Any suggestions? Reading posts, I see some give their dogs empty pop bottles. Going to try that, I know they won't last but should keep him busy for a while.

·
Confused Member
503 Posts
Bo's favorite are tennis balls. He fetches them, but at times he gnaws on them until he pops them.

He LOVES stuffed animals with squeakers in them. He will play with them for a few months. He pulls the eyes off first, or any appendage like ears feet, etc.
Eventually he can't stand it and pulls the stuffing out through the hole where the eyes used to be. Then he pulls the squeaker out and leaves it on the floor.

Then he will gnaw on it for a bit longer, then one day out of the blue, when he can't stand it and it is driving him insane, he pulls out all of the stuffing and leaves it spread all over the room, and there is just a gooey shell of a stuffed animal left on the floor.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Our dog has destroyed absolutely all the toys we have ever bought for her, even the sturdyest Kongs. Usually in a matter of minutes. And we're talking ripped apart, mulched, swallowed and returned as colorful turds.
It's just what she does, so we've given up toys.

We have totally swapped toys with fruit and vegetables! Smartest idea I ever had. :p

I throw her a melon, cucumbers, carrots, potatoes, rutabega, oranges, cilantro, anything thats not poisoness. She loves it! And she can destroy it all she wants. Cheap aswell.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts