Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on doing some landscaping and the company I'm working with has suggested the following plants. Before I add them to the backyard (which is where my dogs spend a fair amount of time), I want to be sure. I'm going to reach out to my vet, but does anybody know off the top of their head if any of these items are toxic to dogs?

- Green Velvet Boxwood
- Quick Fire Panicule Hydrangea
- Knock out Rose
- Sea Green Juniper
- Autumn Jazz Arrowwood Viburnum
- Annabelle Smooth Hydrangea

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know about those plants, but I check all plants in this website.
https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants
Thanks Jennifer. Looks like I need to go back to the drawing table...
Green Velvet Boxwood - toxic to dogs
Quick Fire Panicule Hydrangea and Annabelle Smooth Hydrangea - didn't break out between the two, but stated hydrangea are toxic
Knock Out Rose - toxic
Sea Green Juniper - couldn't find anything on that one
Autumn Jazz Arrowwood Viburnum - not toxic to dogs

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My vet referred me to the Pet Poison Hotline @ 800-213-6680. They will research things for you for a fee. I will let you know how it goes.

Reactions: CAROLINA MOM

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I spoke with the Pet Poison Hotline. They were very helpful. Of the items above, I feel comfortable incorporating most of them into my landscape. The only two I will definitely not include are the hydrangeas. They can cause neural problems. All the others that were listed as toxic on the aspca websit can cause stomach upset if eaten in large amounts. That's why they were classified as toxic.

Reactions: CAROLINA MOM

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
With plants in the landscape I think it's a question of what parts of the plant and how toxic is it. How much of it does it take to sicken a dog the size of a Golden. Will a sickened dog have digestive distress or will they have a health crisis. We have boxwood and hydrangea on our property and have never had any problems with them. They aren't plants that our dogs have shown any interest in chewing. A couple of years ago I looked at one of those toxic plant lists and concluded that many of the plants are commonly used in landscaping, at least in this area. I think you have to consider your dog too. Are they left alone in the yard, do they chew and dig at everything, or do they pretty much leave the plantings alone.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
We've got Knock-out roses, boxwoods, hydrangeas & junipers in our yard. The dogs have never bothered them nor became sick on anything in the landscaping.

Reactions: jennretz

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Duke is the one I worry about. He got sick from eating moldy bark off some stumps from a tree we took down. I supervise as much as possible, but they don't always have someone in the backyard with them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts