Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 8 month old female Golden is a terror on all kinds of soft chew toys rope toys Kong toys . It doesn’t matter. The only toys that stand a chance are the rubber ones or hard nylar. Which unfortunately she doesn’t like half as much and gets bored very quickly.Sadie is a real lady just not with her toys anybody know of a brand that can stand up up to Lady Sadie
BDCBE939-3E1D-4542-BAAD-8A9E4E38AE5A.jpeg
BDCBE939-3E1D-4542-BAAD-8A9E4E38AE5A.jpeg

·
Registered
770 Posts
The only toy that has really stood up to my dogs is an acorn from Bark Box. Could be because it always ends up under my bed. Lol! The toys that have worked out best for us are the round ones. My dogs tend to rip appendages off which leaves holes for easy destruction. The favorite ones are from Bark Box. You don’t have to subscribe. Go to barkshop.com and type spiky ball into the search engine. Stick to the round ones. Although they are made to be destroyed, my dogs don’t tend to tear them up right away. Key for us has been to be sure to take the inner toy out when they get a big hole in the outer soft shell. There is one big risk to these.....your house could be taken over by blue spiky balls. My boy LOVES them. We have several sizes. He chews holes in the cylinder shaped ones.

With the hard toys, I buy the flavored ones. Benebones in the wishbone shape are a huge hit in my house.

·
Registered
634 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Mine always enjoyed Tuffee Toys, but this isn't to say there wasn't an occasional small tail missing or something like that. I'd be worried to give a vigorous chewer anything that he could break pieces off of and I don't know where that leaves you with choices. Does he like balls? Have you tried a Chuck-It?

Sadie is so sweet! I know it's frustrating when one tears up everything. My little Cavalier, believe it or not, was way more destructive than my Golden. She stopped tearing up toys at about age two and a half or so.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Rukie tends to tear up most toys. This has been good
You can also put treats or peanut butter in it

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,859 Posts
My bridge girl tore up stuffies, she would remove the "squeaker" while my boy loves anything that makes a noise, the louder and noisier the better.

If she is tearing up stuffies, there's a variety of stuffies available without any stuffing in them.
Chewy and Amazon are both good places to look.

Kong makes a variety of things like bumpers that are durable.
I got my boy a Heavy chewer Nyla Bone from Amazon, I replaced a knuckle bone I bought him because he was able to break off pieces.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
my dog really likes Westpaw toys. A little expensive up front, but they have a lifetime guarantee if your dog rips one of their toys up.

otherwise, he really likes latex toys and doesn't ever destroy them (sometimes the squeaky goes out but otherwise the toy remains intact). He likes them enough that he still plays with them even after they don't make a sound. His favorite is a honky pig made by Multipet. Multipet Latex Polka Dot Globlet Pig Dog Toy, Color Varies, 9-in - Chewy.com

My dog can take the ball joint off of knuckle bones, he's a pretty serious chewer. Thankfully he just destroys with no intent to swallow.

·
Registered
770 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
That one shape was dangerous and they recalled it. Like I said.....wishbone shaped. Like with any toy, proper supervision is key.
Unfortunately there are still some product on the shelves (Walmart Reno NV has them), so newer owners need to be aware.
Agree with the usual cavaets: (from their site)

"Benebones may cause gastrointestinal issues, such as nausea, vomiting, or blockage. Benebones may also cause tooth injury, gum injury, and/or tooth loss. Benebones may cause an allergic reaction in humans or animals that are allergic to one or more components, such as nylon, peanuts, chicken, pork and/or maple wood. "

·
Registered
634 Posts
Unfortunately there are still some product on the shelves (Walmart Reno NV has them), so newer owners need to be aware.
Agree with what you said + the usual cavaets: (from their site)

"Benebones may cause gastrointestinal issues, such as nausea, vomiting, or blockage. Benebones may also cause tooth injury, gum injury, and/or tooth loss. Benebones may cause an allergic reaction in humans or animals that are allergic to one or more components, such as nylon, peanuts, chicken, pork and/or maple wood. "

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,524 Posts
It's the same with anything you give your dog. NOTHING should be given to a dog unsupervised especially if you have a moronic dog that like to try and eat/swallow everything instead of chewing. Toys even are for supervision and interactive play (there is no such thing as an indestructible toy) and should be put away when not playing with your dog. Most don't do this and if the dog is fine it's OK but random events happen even with trusted dogs so to speak.

This is why things like Benebones should be supervised if given to chew and see how fast they are eating it or how big pieces are being broken off.

·
Super Moderator
4,496 Posts
Honey likes flat toys. Most of them have a squeker which she loves. I recently found some very tough ones that are reasonably priced at TJMAXX.

·
Registered
634 Posts
These are what I mentioned these earlier in this thread.
I have no idea why a company would knock off a recalled item..but someone sure did. (Lumabone)
Anyone not knowing..plz DO NOT BUY SOMETHING LIKE THIS. They can get stuck on a dog's jaw and the original company has recalled theirs.

Taken January,29 2020 at Walmart Reno, Nevada USA
20200129_142343_resized.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts