Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Im looking to fly from MT to NH within the next day. I fly standby so the certainty of this flight is often determined at the airport. Id be gone until Wednesday .

I cant decide if I should bring Tucker or not. He's 9 months and would be flying without medication. The plan stops and changes once in MN. He does OK in his crate but prefers the door to be open. Im not sure how he'll do for that long or if it'll be too stressful.

My other option is to leave him here and my friend can watch him. I really want to bring him home though!

Happy Holidays!
 

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
Joined
·
10,683 Posts
If you were flying non-stop and with a secure seat - I would say go for it. However, my biggest concern is that it doesn't take much to delay flights (I was recently delayed 8 hours waiting for a flight and I wasn't flying stand-by) ..The airlines are not going to load and unload your dog while you wait for flights...which means lots of time in his crate in the cold...with LOTS of loud noises and very little attention...
 

·
Humankind. Be both.
Joined
·
7,650 Posts
I would NOT fly a dog stand-by. Too easy for you to get bumped, even on your layover. I'm not even sure if you CAN fly a dog when you have a stand-by ticket.
 

·
Opus and Tasha
Joined
·
3,992 Posts
If you leave Tucker home with a friend you can be pretty certain that he will be safe, happy and well cared for. Flying stand-by.... too many chances for something to go wrong including delays due to the weather.
 

·
Nancy
Joined
·
7,493 Posts
I pretty much agree with everyone upthread. When we fly we also go standby. I always feel lucky when our luggage makes it! I'd be seriously stressing over my dog. Too many "ifs" especially during the holiday season and the weather this time of year.

Leave him home with your friend, you'll have a better time and so will Tucker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Agreed. My initial thought was that if I were to be bumped, he would still make the flight, have my family and a warm home to go to on the other end. But I dont feel too comfortable risking it or putting him that situation. Cheers and merry Christmas!
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top