Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
My real name is Mercy
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Max has been teething for a couple weeks now & has lost 6 teeth that I know of. (He just turned 4 months old last week.) All seemed well until yesterday. After our training class, he was romping with several of the other pups and suddenly we noticed that the puppy he was playing with had quite a bit of blood around her neck & muzzle. After investigating, we realized that Max's lower left canine tooth had popped out and he was bleeding quite a bit more than what I've been accustomed to with the other teeth he's lost. The bleeding stopped after about 10 min., and he doesn't seem to be bothered by it, but there's a rather large hole where the tooth had been and the adult tooth isn't visible yet. (All the others he's lost had the adult tooth pushing through right behind the baby tooth.) He's nawing on iced dishrags & frozen kongs, but I'm a little concerned because this one seems to have come out before it's time. We think he got it caught under another pup's collar and it came out too early. I can't see any inflammation or anything, but I'm wondering if I need to call the vet in case the tooth actually "broke" off instead of simply falling out in due time. Any ideas?
Thank you!
- Trids (nervous Mom)

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
The bleeding is totally normal. Tucker had a couple of episodes of bleeding when his baby teeth were coming out. He actually got blood all over one of DH's shirts while he was playing with him and a tooth came out. I don't think you need to worry about going to the vet unless he acts uncomfortable. Just make sure to moisten his kibble with some warm water while he is teething to make it easier to chew. I'm sure he is fine.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
I'm sure he'll be fine. It could be that it was getting loose, but not quite ready to fall out and got dislodged during his play time. Give it a day or two and I bet you'll see the new tooth showing itself!

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much... I remember we used to give Sam a frozen washcloth to gnaw on to ease his aching gums, and some nights those white washcloths would turn completely RED with blood if he happened to lose a tooth while mouthing on it. At times I wasn't even sure if he'd be able to eat, he had no teeth left!! The adult teeth do grow in super quick though, and like I said, some bleeding is totally normal. Poor pup.. :)

·
My real name is Mercy
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, one and all! That's what I was hoping to hear. Since it doesn't seem to be bothering him, I'll just keep an eye on it and keep the iced rags flowing. Thank you all, I feel much better now!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts