Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So whenever Murphy meets a dog, they sniff each other and are very friendly (at least from what I can tell!) but after they step away from each other, Murphy gives a deep growl more often than not. I never knew whether it was aggression or not, but I think I figured it out....

A stray dog ran up to Murph outside the house while I was walking him. They both sniffed and after I pulled the little sucker away from attempting to hump Murphy (an all too common problem, sigh), Murphy growled. The little stray play bowed, and they started to play. Let me tell you, if you couldn't see them, you would have thought there was a dog fight going on! Murphy is so incredibly vocal and loud when he plays!!

Now, help me out here.... but I'm thinking that Murphy is growling after greeting dogs in order to initiate play. Unfortunately, it freaks the other owner out which panics their dog, causing the dog to growl and snarl. Am I in denial here, or does this sound familiar to anyone? If its normal, how do I either A) Stop Murphy from the initial growling or B) Explain to the owner that he is playing without sounding like the crazy dog lady who can't come to terms with having an aggressive dog?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Curator of the Coy Zoo
769 Posts
Jazz "talks" when she wants to play, kinda of a "roo roo" kinda thing. First time she did it, she had a toy and it took me a minute to realize she wasn't growling at me! Maybe its something similar? Its still hard to explain to people she does it to, altough I love when she does it.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Mine sound like there is a dog fight when they play with each other...
Someone that didnt know them would think they were going to shed blood!

If the little stray play bowed after the the rumble....trust the dog! There is some other signal that you guy is giving off that is saying lets play or I'm uncertain but willing to give you a chance, show me your friendly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Sorry for the slow response! It's the week before school so I've been facing multiple inservice days along with Meet the Teacher night!

Thanks for y'alls responses... hopefully he is just playful. I need to convince him to play bow sooner! lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts