Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After taking Remy out to my family's ranch this past weekend and really seeing his desire to retrieve, I'm very interested in training for field work. I'm not sure that I would ever compete, but I think that it would really satisfy Remy's desire to work and would make him a much happier dog.

We did introduce guns this past weekend and he is perfectly fine with them... Not at all startled. We played around with a bumper and duck scent and I've honestly never seen Remy so eager to work!

However, he just turned 7 months old and I think that most people start this journey much younger. Do you think he is too old at 7 months to really grasp field work?

·
where the tails wag
13,381 Posts
I certainly don't think he's too old :)

·
the party's crashing us
4,278 Posts
Um, no. Go for it :)

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
He is at the opportune age--that's right about when most of us start formal basics! Go for it!

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Winter went to her first field day on her 1st birthday. JH last summer and working on SH skills. Winter will be 3 in Feb.
Go for it, you will have a blast.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Tito went to his first field training session at 3 years, 3 months old!!!!

Reactions: LibertyME

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
In a word no. That is actually just about the the right age to start Force Fetch. That pup is primed and ready to go. Do him a favor and go for it!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts