Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I found a puppy at 15 weeks who as already started training, can walk on a leash and even be off leash and not run off. Plus he is in my price range. My Moms only concern is that he is too old to start training for a diabetic service dog. I think not, but to ease her mind I am writing this thread. What do you think??
Thanks! :D

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Service dogs do not being there special training until about a year usually. But I saw the other post about the kennel, and the temperament is especially important in service dogs. I suggest again, you go through one of the agencies that trains service dogs. If you qualify for a service dog they will help you. And if you don't they often have dogs who sort of flunked out of the early training but may work for you.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I have never heard of a service dog program where the person hoping to get a dog has to actually provide the dog. But I am always learning.

I assume you are aware that most service dogs go through a year of puppy training, followed by 12-18 months of service training. And not all dogs who enter the program make it to the end. Depending on the program, it can be a 50% washout rate for the dogs. If that happens, what will you do?

A friend of mine is a puppy raiser for a group that provides service dogs for the blind. Her last dog washed out of the advanced training after 8 months. The puppy raiser is given the option to take in the dogs they raised that didn't make it into the program.

·
Shoregold
670 Posts
BajaOklahoma has it right when training a service dog. It takes a lot of work and time to get them ready. When it comes to a diabetic dog they will also need the nose to detect. My recommendation would go to service dog center and work with them to find the right puppy for you.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
It is not as simple as get a dog then !VOILA! it can detect when you blood sugar is off. No one is going to say that a dog can not detect changes that happen when blood sugar is off. Some very clearly can.
However what they do with the information is the KEY!

I suspect what you are looking for is a dog that will alert and give you information...like I smell 'that smell' or I see 'that tremor'...you need to STOP what you are doing and sit/test/treat.

Some dogs never figure out that one particular smell or that one little weird human behavior...actually 'means' something....and fewer still ever figure out that they should alert...and fewer still are consistent at detecting AND alerting in a timely manner.

You've been given EXCELLENT advice - go through a reputable agency that has a proven track record for finding dogs AND training for this very specific skill set. Yes it is expensive...yes you will probably have to be patient...

Also keep in mind that some agencies will not place a service dog in a home where there is already a pet dog. So if you try to train your own...and then the dog washes out. You may not be eligible to go through an agency and keep this dog.

I had a SD that was placed with a family for one person...however alerted to a different family member's low blood sugar. However he only alerted when the the person was in crisis. The family said "wow he is a diabetic alert dog" - no he wasn't ...
He was alerting to the strange behavior 'after the crash' when the persons behavior changed -- BIG difference. Granted he alerted one night as the person was walking out the door in the middle of the night when no one would have noticed he was gone until morning..but that still didn't make his alerting behavior practical.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Laura Gibson of Furrst Place is training dogs for this purpose, you might want to try contacting her and getting her advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts