Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
GR Lover
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I need some help with this... Since Dexter was about 5 months old, he has been drinking so much water that he makes himself throw up. the first time was after a lot of fetch and I just blamed it on him being exhausted from all that running. but later it started being random. he will take HUGE gulps of water and about 20sec to 1 minute after he is done drinking he will throw up 2 or 3 times... it stopped for a few weeks, but has started again the other day. and him throwing up on the carpet is not pretty... i told the vet and she said some puppies do that. but i'm trying to find out if there is a way i can prevent that.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
What type of bowl is he drinking out of? A raised bowl? If so try putting his bowl on the ground so he has to bend down to drink.

·
GR Lover
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
he drinks from a regular pottery bowl on the floor. he doesn't need to bend down, just lowers his head.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Does he "retch & heave" or does it seem that it just comes up?
Does it happen during a time of day? After he exercises? Any patterns?

When was the last time you mentioned it to your vet?
Dexter is nearly 8 months old...not exactly a puppy... seems odd that he would still be doing this at his age.

·
GR Lover
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes he does "retch & heave". at first it was after exercise, so i would make him rest 15-20 minutes before i would let him drink and he would be fine, but now there is no pattern. as an example, the other day he went to drink and came to lay down near me when i was at the computer, then he just stood up and started heaving and threw up all of the water he had drunk. it is A LOT of it, i don't understand why he takes huge gulps that that.. you can even hear them... his bowl is pretty big (about half a gallon) and he drinks it all at once very often and would drink more if I put more water right away. the vets says its a puppy thing, but i am getting tired of cleaning that nasty stuff and tired of waking up to that heaving sound.. one day he is going to do it on my face while i sleep.. lol

·
GR Lover
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
When was the last time you mentioned it to your vet?
Dexter is nearly 8 months old...not exactly a puppy... seems odd that he would still be doing this at his age.
Actually, I mentioned it on the 12th when we went to the vet for Elle's vaccine and his check up.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Have you ever tried limiting the amounts of water he drinks after playtime? Instead of having his bowl full, only have like 1/2 cup, then 15 minutes later give him another 1/2 cup. Then nothing more until he is cooled down and settled. Maybe those huge amounts hes drinking are making him retch?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts