Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently on a Facebook Golden board and it was mentioned by a poster that their vet suggested that too much protein could be leading to extra energy/hyperactivity. He had suggested they look for a food with 18% protein. My question is there validity to this? I feed my girl PPP sensitive stomach at 28% and yes I've had some issues - so it got me wondering about it. Any thoughts appreciated!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I feed PPP Sport 30/20 and have no issues. My dogs are very active. I’ve always fed 30/20. I am careful of weight gain during less active times, but nothing else. Cruz has been on 30/20 since 8 weeks old.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Reactions: Rjan1967

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was recently on a Facebook Golden board and it was mentioned by a poster that their vet suggested that too much protein could be leading to extra energy/hyperactivity. He had suggested they look for a food with 18% protein. My question is there validity to this? I feed my girl PPP sensitive stomach at 28% and yes I've had some issues - so it got me wondering about it. Any thoughts appreciated!

I was curious about this as well. PPP 30/20 vs PPP 27/17. Not by much but 30/20 is geared towards agility dogs/active working dogs bc they need that energy. Even grain free diets tend to have +30% protein.

As a former long distance runner, we were told to bulk up on protein and carbs for energy. Old school method but dogs are obviously different so unsure.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts