Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My puppy just turned 8 weeks yesterday. Jake however seems to have the hic ups more than the normal amount. Is this normal or what can be done to prevent them ? He eats and drinks water fine, plays alot, and runs alot. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Mine gets the hiccups when he's nervous. I talk to him soothingly and tell him everything's ok and it stops by itself.

Do you notice any pattern when it happens?

Since he's only 8 weeks, maybe it's a puppy thing? Maybe he's just nervous being away from his mom and littermates?

I guess the only other thing I can think of is if it persists talk to your veterinarian.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
It is a puppy thing and he should grow out of it. I remember when Bama had them all the time and it was so cute. He looked scared the first time it happened.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Hiccups are totally normal in puppies. They eventually outgrow them as they get a little older. Both of our dogs had them quite frequently when they were really young.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, that makes me feel better because I wasn't sure if we should worry or not! Hope everyone had a great Christmas!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Daisy had them from day one at 8 weeks old, and had them lots and lots and is now nealy 6 months. It really is just a puppy thing and they will grow out of it, nothing seemed to make Daisy have them, she could just wake up from a deep sleep and have them, they were just intermitent - when ever. As mentioned Daisy is now nearly 6 months and has virtually grown out of them.

·
lizandhector
158 Posts
Zoey used to get the hicups all the time! She is almost 7 months now and doesn't have them nearly as much. As others have said, it is a puppy thing and will outgrow them. It is kind of cute though when they have them! :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Scotty and Sully each went through that phrase and I just talked gently to them and rubbed their little tummies until they passed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts