Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where I live we heat the house by a fireplace with blowers. For some reason Sophie (now 11 weeks old :)) insists on laying right in front of the fireplace. Probably less than 3 feet away. Every 15 minutes or so she gets up panting and hot to the touch. She wanders to her water dish gets a drink, runs around, plays, goes outside (not in that order all the time), and then returns to lay by the fireplace. No matter what I do I can't keep her from laying so close to the fire. Is this harmful to her? Wouldn't she move if it was too hot?

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
I'm no expert, and I might be wrong...but I would not let her lie right by the fire like that. I'm not sure that an 11 week old pup would make the connection between the hot place and the panting/needing water...etc. (again, I could be wrong) I have heard about dogs getting heat stroke from over exerting themselves in the sun...and I think the same principle might apply here...

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
*Bumping up for more input*

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. :)

I'd really like more input too. I'm beginning to wonder if she really doesn't have the "heat receptors" to know that it's too hot. She does go drink water first thing when she gets up though. She walks over to me panting and I tell her, "Sophie go get water" and she does.

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
In my opinion, if she is getting to the point of being so hot that she needs to get up and instantly drink, then she is getting too hot! Her body is telling her to drink but she won't be able to make that association herself... It's funny though, when Bailey was a little pup, she just wanted to lie on the COLD stone floor...at all times... but obviously it wasn't TOO cold...whereas the stones by a fireplace can get really really hot!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She isn't laying on the stones around the fireplace she lays on the carpet so that wouldn't be as hot as stones but it's still pretty darn warm for the little lady.

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
Hmmm....usually there are way more opinions on here!!!

*bump*

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
Let's try this again... :)

·
Chester & Murphy's Mom
7,464 Posts
Hmmm...Chester loves the fireplace in the winter, but he moves when he gets to warm. I hope you get your answers...is their anyway to block how close she can get...maybe with chairs and or baby gates? At least until she learn to stay back a bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts