Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping to take Bailey on a 3-4 mile walk outside, but is it too cold for her? The high today is 7 with a -15 windchill.

I could throw one of the kids sweatshirts on her.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,079 Posts
I don't think it's too cold to take her for a walk. Mind you, this is coming from someone who lives on the prairies in Saskatchewan (Canada). We had 2 weeks of -30 something weather and at times with the windchill, -42. We bundle up and take our dogs for their daily walks/play time regardless of the temperatures. They don't seem to mind it at all. When it's this cold however, we go for about 30 minutes or so, a few times a day.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I cut all the hair in between her paws and I cake on the mushers secret. The little boots don't stay on, I let her walk in the snow banks and she explores through the woods. :) It's a really fun time for her.

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think it's too cold to take her for a walk. Mind you, this is coming from someone who lives on the prairies in Saskatchewan (Canada). We had 2 weeks of -30 something weather and at times with the windchill, -42. We bundle up and take our dogs for their daily walks/play time regardless of the temperatures. They don't seem to mind it at all. When it's this cold however, we go for about 30 minutes or so, a few times a day.
Do you put little jackets/coats on your dogs when you take them out?

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,681 Posts
I've been walking my dogs .. the temperature has dropped to about -7 with the windchill some mornings. I am not sure I'd walk 3-4 miles in such cold weather but my dogs are hiked for about 45 minutes a day; before the sun is fully awake :)

If you are walking on treated surfaces, the feet would be more of a concern to me. Try to protect them with booties, Musher's Secret or similar. If you cannot protect the feet, rinse them well when you get home.

Also, my dogs are kept outside during the day so they have good undercoats and nice tough feet - if Bailey is an indoor dog you may not want to risk it, her coat and pads may not be up to it.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
We usually don't have temps. that cold here, but I would think a short time out, a hour or less, in the fresh air getting some exercise would be good for her.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,079 Posts
Do you put little jackets/coats on your dogs when you take them out?
No, we don't put jackets on them....living in this climate, they have developed pretty good coats. We just try not to overdo it when it's really cold but they love their walks and play time so we have no choice but to get up and go!!!! Something tells me that the jackets wouldn't stay on for too long even if we tried...they look totally humiliated when we put their haltis on!!!!

·
I ♥ Bailey and Annie!
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe we will just go around the block. It's only 1.5 miles. She's dying to get out there. Barking at the door all morning long.

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,681 Posts
Maybe we will just go around the block. It's only 1.5 miles. She's dying to get out there. Barking at the door all morning long.
Grins - have fun :) 1 1/2 miles sounds like about 1/2 hour or so so should be a good amount of time to be out with her.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts