Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Owner of a Bailey Girl!
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always make sure that I give something up for Lent (I'm Catholic so I do the whole no meat on Fridays, too). Last year I gave up pop (something little but boy did it suck!). My mom said that she will sometimes do things like try harder to be patient with people or be a nicer driver to others on the road.
I like to make the sacrifice of giving something up, but I can't decide what this year.

Those of you who participate-what are you doing for Lent?!

·
Simon & Shadow's Mom
860 Posts
I was thinking of the same thing, but I was wondering if giving up "laziness" counted?
For example.... hit the gym at least 3 times a week?
I too do the "no meat" on Fridays.. but it's HARD to do!

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
I've always given up a food, item, something tangible. I usually give up my favorite thing, but I don't have too many favorite things anymore, I like everything. I know I WILL NOT give up GRF, Scrapblog, or Coffee... I'll have to think about it. It just hit me...my 8 o'clock snack. By 8 o'clock each evening, I'm looking for something to snack on. I'm giving up my 8 o'clock snack.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I used to do no meat on Friday all year 'round, for years. Hubster and I really should get back to it. Problem was, it wasn't really a sacrifice in the end cuz we LOVE sushi! LOL!

I'll have to think whether I want to give up something for lent or actually DO something for Lent.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Hmm I was thinking about this today, but I haven't come up with anything yet. I gave up ice cream before but I don't really eat ice cream that much anymore.

·
Joy of my heart
529 Posts
Hhhhmmm...I'm not Catholic, so the only reason why I look forward to Lent is because McDonald's (here in the Midwest) offers a special for their Filet O' Fish sandwiches (without the yucky processed American cheese). I LOVE THOSE - I try to get my fill each year during this time. I am a total health nut, but I cannot resist those things!!!!!!

·
Owner of a Bailey Girl!
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I've decided to cut out pop again and stop eating fast food (at first I said junk food but that's waaaay too broad lol). So, I'm going to start eating right :)
I just don't feel like that's a huge sacrifice, but we'll see about a week in how upset I am that I can't have McDs LOL

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
I don't participate, but I feel your pain! LOL

For the past nearly nine months, I have given up:

Soda
Coffee
Alcohol
Smoking (I don't smoke regularly, but I do miss the occasional puff!)
Lunch meat/subs
Riding a bike
Running

At first I gave up fast food and chocolate too, but ultimately? There was no way! LOL

But, you know, when you give something up because you WANT to for your (or in my case, my baby's) own good, it's very rewarding

·
Registered
211 Posts
My family and I try to give up something each year. Last year my oldest daughter and I gave up sour candies. This year we will probably do something similar. My husband gives up chocolate and believe me that is hard for him.

·
Luke, Maggie, and Tucker
3,045 Posts
I'm not Catholic, but most of my friends are. Therefore, I usually participate in Lent. I gave up pop years ago and have never looked back. This year I am going to give up snacking, unless it's fresh fruit. So junk food is out the door!

·
Bailey Boy's Pop
410 Posts
I don't participate, but I feel your pain! LOL

For the past nearly nine months, I have given up:

Soda
Coffee
Alcohol
Smoking (I don't smoke regularly, but I do miss the occasional puff!)
Lunch meat/subs
Riding a bike
Running

At first I gave up fast food and chocolate too, but ultimately? There was no way! LOL

But, you know, when you give something up because you WANT to for your (or in my case, my baby's) own good, it's very rewarding
I feel your pain...well not really but my wife is Pregnant so she has given up exactly what you have. We like drinking wine and that is hard for her. I think most people give up Some sort of food for lent. Im in the restuaurant business and I notice a ton more pasta dishes during lent because no one is eating meat. The point of lent is sacrafice. At least make it worth something.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
It's hard... lol the first thing I want to do after I have my baby is fine me a good bottle of wine! ;) And then have a Subway sandwich

·
I <3 Goldens
487 Posts
I used to do no meat on Friday all year 'round, for years. Hubster and I really should get back to it. Problem was, it wasn't really a sacrifice in the end cuz we LOVE sushi! LOL!

I'll have to think whether I want to give up something for lent or actually DO something for Lent.
Sushi has meat ;) I'm also a sushi fanatic. I've been known to spend $50 for a roll or 2. We have some great places here in atlanta that serve premier sushi such as Magic Fingers!!! The reservation list is every bit of 4 months long...

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I am giving up McDonalds this year. I forgot about the yummy Filet-o fish and Shamrock shakes though.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts