Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I plan on taking Lucy to a park tomorrow where they have a nice lake... Anyways, I want tomorrow to be the first time she swims. I know it might be a little late to teach her but I feel like the time has come. I do need some help from all you experts here, I have never done this before and I don't know what to expect. Do you guys have any advice as to how to go on and doing this, what is the safest way? I worry a lot. So any advice will be helpful, thanks everyone. Maybe you can share your personal experiences with your pups and their first swim. :)

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
If she's anything like Sam the first time we took him to the beach, she'll know exactly what to do!! She might be a little bit nervous of the water just because its a new thing... but with Sam, I just waded in a little bit and acted like it was the most fun thing ever... and then he just came running in! He was a little bit shocked at first especially when his feet weren't touching the ground, but then he got his little doggie paddle really well and he was swimming all day long.

Don't forget your camera!! These are water dogs.. swimming is instinctual!! I'm sure she will love it and have a great day. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If she's anything like Sam the first time we took him to the beach, she'll know exactly what to do!! She might be a little bit nervous of the water just because its a new thing... but with Sam, I just waded in a little bit and acted like it was the most fun thing ever... and then he just came running in! He was a little bit shocked at first especially when his feet weren't touching the ground, but then he got his little doggie paddle really well and he was swimming all day long.

Don't forget your camera!! These are water dogs.. swimming is instinctual!! I'm sure she will love it and have a great day. Have fun!
Thank you. I'll try and be calm tomorrow. Today she had a play date with another golden male 4 months as well and they where playing pretty rough and I was kinda freaking out but then calmed myself down, since I noticed she was liking it, Lucy is a big flirt!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
They will have alot of fun and she will probably follow the other pup right in. Just relax and have fun.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
If she is going with another dog that swims, she'll be fine!
Mine were alittle questioning at first but when they saw the other dog swimming, they took right to it!
Have a blast! Wish I was in Florida!

·
Simon & Shadow's Mom
860 Posts
Simon was really little- like 10 weeks when I brought him down to our beach. He took one look at the water, went running in, and fell head over a$$ into the water. It was hard not to panic and grab him up, but he was only in a couple inches of water, so I waited to see what he would do.
He stood up, shook, and looked around with this WOO HOO! Look on his face....
After that, he just jumped in and started swimming. I thought it was the COOLEST thing ever--no teaching necessary, but because he was so small, I was always worried that he would swim too much.
Now the lake is frozen, and in a couple of months, it will be really fun to see how he does when it's doggy-friendly again!
I can't wait to see pictures of how Lucy does! She'll have a blast!

·
Bailey Boy's Pop
410 Posts
Around the northeast we call small sand sharks DOGFISH..lol....anyway I am sure she'll be fine. I had a poodle who used to jump right in and loved the water. It is instinctual, just have fun and take a lot of pics......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts