Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
flykelley
675 Posts
Not sure which forum to choose for this.

Tomorrow is Penny's TPLO (ACL) surgery. We have to have her half way across the state by 8:30 thru some of the most nightmarish traffic. I'm worried about that too.

She should be done in 3 hours, I should hear from the vet by noon. I'll be sure to post. He's done THOUSANDS of these procedures so she couldn't be in better, more experienced hands. Still....

Some prayers and good thoughts would be appreciated. I do believe in the power of our collective good karma! Thanks.
Hi Pennys mom will send prayers and good thoughts your way. My Katie had it done when she was two, rear leg. I was told to expect the other leg would need to be done in the next year. It never happened she healed up real well and the repaired leg never gave her any issues. She did have to go for water therapy about a month after her surgery, she was just laying on the deck and got up and took off like her butt was on fire and jumped down off the deck and reinsured the leg. Water therapy did the trick for her not cheap but worth every penny.

Good Luck
Mike

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Thanks, Flykelly. She actually had it done on Sept. 19. Tomorrow was supposed to be her 2 month check up. We go to Dr. Brinker in Lake Orion. Is that who did yours?

I'm relieved to hear that the second one never happened. I intend to be very careful with her. She'll be 10 on Jan. 3 so it's time for her to start slowing down a bit!

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Penny is limping today. She is bearing weight somewhat. I think she might have slipped in the snow. I'm a little concerned although the instructions say that if we walk her too much too soon she might get sore and limp. I hope that's all it is. She was out with me while I shoveled this morning. That's the only time she's been out. Only potty outs for a while. :(

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Penny is limping today. She is bearing weight somewhat. I think she might have slipped in the snow. I'm a little concerned although the instructions say that if we walk her too much too soon she might get sore and limp. I hope that's all it is. She was out with me while I shoveled this morning. That's the only time she's been out. Only potty outs for a while. :(
Oh no. :( Can you call them and ask if there is anything you can do to help her pain? I'm so sorry to hear this and now I'll worry for her (and you). Penny, rest up, and please stop limping.

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,617 Posts
:crossfing:crossfing:crossfing:crossfing for Penny that she just over did it today. Sending good thoughts and prayers...

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I don't want to give her anything for pain...I still have a couple of Novox. I'm afraid if the pain goes away, she won't be as careful. I've kept her more confined in the house that she has been and she seems to be a little less limpy. She is bearing weight on it and making right-hand turns on it. I looked for some 'splats' in the snow but didn't see any...thought maybe she wiped out.

She's 10 days short of being 3 months out.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,529 Posts
Sending healing thoughts to Penny.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Hopefully it is just a pulled muscle. I had a GSD that did that when he and my other dog were playing on a porch of fresh snow. Scared the heck out of me, when later he wouldn't use his hind legs ( I never saw him slide ). Rushed him to the vets, and they could fine nothing wrong. In two days he was fine.

Prayers going to Penny.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Thank you, everybody. She's walking better this morning, making a complete stride with that leg, articulating her ankle and foot. It bothers me a little that when she stands she holds it just a hair off the floor. But then she'll stand on it to turn around. It must have been a soft tissue strain.

Poor girl is going to be kept quiet today too. Poor me...it's 5 degrees out there and I'll be taking her out on the leash. :(

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
sending good wishes for Penny and hope that she makes a quick recovery from this

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Thanks for all the good wishes. Penny's limp is gone and she's looking as good as before her incident the other day.

But gosh, gotta be watching every second. I got up and forgot to put the baskets on the bed. Yep, she was up there. I let her stay and as soon as she got down, I took care of it.

But she's walking just fine so it must have been a soft-tissue injury, not a fracture. Phew!!

It will be 3 months on the 19th. She goes for more radiographs Jan. 19.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Penny, stop scaring your Mom--she's busy enough with the holidays and you need to be a good girl and recovery according to what the surgeon told your mom!

I'm glad she's doing better. They sure know how to worry us!!

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,135 Posts
Penny's Mom

We've been through two ACL surgeries with two different dogs.

You may already be doing this, but we've found giving them Glucosomine-Chondroitin tablets (1000mgs) - one in the morning and one at night - has really helped. Andy, my current 77 lb senior golden, has been taking them for 5 years. Even though he's a senior (just diagnosed with Stage IIIa lymphoma) he hasn't displayed any arthritis and made a full recovery. G-C lubricates the joints and rebuilds cartridge as well. Having a wide scarf handy to put under his belly in certain situations is something he's used to and waits for me to use ... like going up long flights of stairs or getting in the car. We bought him a folding ramp, but he didn't want to use it.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Thank you for the suggestion. We started Penny on a joint supplement about a year ago. She was having trouble getting up if she lay too long and sometimes was hesitant about jumping into the car. We give her SmartPak Canine Ultra. Not sure what the mgs are but she gets 6 a day for her weight. Also, had her lose 18 pounds. She'll be 10 Jan. 3. We think it's made a huge difference in her flexibility and strength! Too much, some days!:doh: She's always been a cheeky girl.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts